Is it okay to touch my fipple?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
timothybagwell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by timothybagwell »

I doubt anyone has ever come up with that one before. But seriously, I just acquired my first whistle, a Clarke, and I'm wondering how much to worry about moisture changing the shape of my fipple and affecting the tuning or tone. It's a piece of wood, right? So should I oil it? Varnish it? Leave it alone?

FYI, about those tacky gold diamonds on the Clarke, well, yes, they are tacky. But if you're a new whistle player with mediocre eyesight, they do a great job of indicating where to put your fingers. Black holes on a black whistle can be hard to see.
Life is a sexually-transmitted terminal condition.
Feadoggie

Re: Is it okay to touch my fipple?

Post by Feadoggie »

Yes, it's ok for you. But be mindful that it is illegal in several states to let someone else touch your fipple, especially in public.

The block on the Clarke is cedar, I believe. That wood was likely chosen because of its natural properties to guard against the effects of moisture. Some people do coat the block with oil or other solutions. You can search the archives for input on what people use. I leave them alone.

Clarke's do get tweaked quite a bit. Here's the basic tweak from the main C&F site.

As for the diamonds - here's what I said to a similar recent post.
Feadoggie wrote:
Corgicrazed wrote:I do NOT like the diamonds down the front.
Then you need one of Dale's Naked Black Splendor models.

But they are no longer available, AFAIK. So then there is the unpainted Victorian Whistle.

Otherwise, they wear off with sufficient playing or you can apply a paint remover.

Welcome.

Feadoggie

Hope that helps
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Feadoggie wrote:
Yes, it's ok for you. But be mindful that it is illegal in several states to let someone else touch your fipple, especially in public.
:shock: :D
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Feadoggie wrote:
Totally beat me to that one! (I'm not sure if I should be relieved or disappointed)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Magickdancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Magickdancer »

I'm going to giggle about this one for a while... :lol:
maki

Post by maki »

Sorry for the levity.
Welcome to the forum Timothybagwell.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Not only is it "okay" to touch your fipple, people sometimes go so far as to have theirs pierced... :D
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
walrii

Post by walrii »

Moderators: should this thread be merged with the one about pink whistles? Just asking.

As to cedar blocks, in the Realm of The Fipple Flute That Must Not Be Named (recorders), we do not put anything on a cedar block. Oiling or varnishing will prevent the block from absorbing moisture, which is the cedar block's reason for being there. That said, I've grown to like plastic blocks in both whistles and recorders. With a plastic block, the moisture builds up faster than on a wood block but you can always clear the moisture by sucking or blowing it out. Coatings (duprunol, Jet-Dry, dishsoap) make the clearing easier but still necessary. A wood block will absorb the moisture, giving you a longer period of playing without clearing the windway but, when the block is saturated, the tone goes fuzzy and you're out of business until it dries out. Admittedly, that can be a long enough to play a concert with a good quality wood instrument.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
timothybagwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by timothybagwell »

Maki, Thanks for the welcome and no need to apologize for the levity. I was actually trying to introduce a little myself with the subject head, but I think I overdid the subtlety. I could have asked if it was okay to oil my fipple, but that would not have helped much.

So I gather two things. First, I should call that little piece of wood a block. (Is that why a recorder in German is a Blockfloete?) Second, I shouldn't touch it with anything but my tongue (and definitely not get it pierced). :P I have an ebony flute and I'm a little paranoid about the wood cracking due to moisture, so I thought I should get some advice about my whistle block. Now if I could get some advice about my mental block, that would be good, but this is a forum, not group therapy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Feadoggie, I think by the time my fingers know where to find the holes (there's no way to avoid this, is there? :lol: ) the diamonds will be worn off, so form and function will come together nicely.

Thanks all for the advice and the humor!
Life is a sexually-transmitted terminal condition.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

timothybagwell wrote:So I gather two things. First, I should call that little piece of wood a block. (Is that why a recorder in German is a Blockfloete?)
Yes, exactly right. In fact, strictly speaking, the word "fipple" is a synonym for "block", though in common usage it's been extended to refer to the entire sound-producing apparatus: block, windway, window and labium/blade.
timothybagwell wrote:but this is a forum, not group therapy. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You can touch your fipple, you can touch your friends, but ya can't touch your friends fipple.
R Small

Post by R Small »

Reminds me of the George Carlin line: it's okay to prick your finger but you mustn't finger your...
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Not only is it "okay" to touch your fipple, people sometimes go so far as to have theirs pierced... :D
They call that a Prince Albert. :D
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
retired

Post by retired »

Is this what happens to this forum in the summer ?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

retired wrote:Is this what happens to this forum in the summer ?
Nothing special about the summer.... Whose summer, any way? And even, "What 'summer'?"

As for fipples, I've even been know to tongue mine! But with fingers, it's best not to try to force them into (whoever's) apertures not intended for such insertion.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads