Lucy Adams Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Syra
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Lucy Adams Low D

Post by Syra »

hey folks
i´m reading in this forum quite a time and now there´s time for my first question: is there anybody who knows something about the lucy adamy low d whistle? i just saw it in the german tin whistle shop and the descriptions sounds good - but it is from the salesman so i´m not sure if it is quite right...

so: anybody played it?

thanks for possible replies.
i beg your pardon for my bad english
JTC111

Re: Lucy Adamy Low D

Post by JTC111 »

Never heard of them and various google searches turned up zero information. If you tell people here what you're looking to spend, they can probably give you some good choices on a low D.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Lucy Adams low D whistle (fixed thread title):

http://www.tinwhistle.de/02ba7597dc0dd8 ... fbdc07.php

It seems to be a particular model made by TWZ. I'll translate the text in a bit.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

A very quick translation. I'll redact it later if needed:
Now, new and exclusive from TMZ: Lucy Adams Low Whistles

These new Low Whistles by Lucy Adams are distinguished by a responsive voice, a soft round sound, and closer hole spacing. For this reason, Lucy Adams Low Whistles are especially easy and comfortable to hold with smaller hands, including by female players.

The Lucy Adams Low D Whistle is made from only the finest brass. The mouthpiece contains a specially designed fine wood block. This gives the Lucy Adams Whistles their typical soft and somewhat breathy sound. The instrument is one-piece and tuned exactly to A440. Flexible playing allows the intonation to be adjusted comfortably within +/- 10 cents. For this reason the instrument need not be made tunable.

The rich, round sound and moderate breath requirements make the Lucy Adams Low Whistles an ideal instrument for everyone desiring a solid, quality instrument at an affordable price.

The price/features ratio of the Lucy Adams Low Tin Whistle is simply outstanding.

Sound sample
Additional information from the TWZ site:
On the Lucy Adams Low D Whistle, the hole spacing between the hard-to-finger #5 and #6 holes is a good ~1 cm smaller than on other Low Whistles (e.g., Dixon, Chieftain, etc.).

JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

MTGuru wrote:Lucy Adams low D whistle
Ahh.... that makes a big difference. So how'd you figure that out?
MTGuru wrote:The price/features ratio of the Lucy Adams Low Tin Whistle is simply outstanding.
Sound sample
I'm wondering if the whistle may be better than the sound file indicates. It's pretty inexpensive for a low whistle so I can see how that would be attractive to the OP. I did the math and even the Impempe, which is highly spoken of as an economically priced low D, would run about 50% more than the Lucy Adams when one factors in the shipping and VAT (if my math is right).

I searched this site for "TWZ" and they don't seem to get much love around here and I'm guessing the OP wasn't allowed to try or even hear the whistle at the shop. I looked around on YouTube and found one video that appears to be done with the Lucy Adams. IMO, it sounds a bit better than the sound file on the website, but I'm not blown away by it.

With the little bit of information I've read and heard so far, I'd probably go in another direction.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

JTC111 wrote:Ahh.... that makes a big difference. So how'd you figure that out?
I guessed it's a mistake that a German speaker might make. :wink:

I remember a thread about the TWZ "Mac Nic" whistle here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50240

TWZ is "Tin Whistle Zentrum". I think TWZ are fairly well-known and reputable in Germany with a presence in the folk shops, but not so much elsewhere.

@Syra: Kennst du das deutschsprachige TWZ-Forum? Das wäre vielleicht auch ein guter Ort deine "Lucy Adams"-fragen zu stellen:

http://www.tinwhistle.de/forum/

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

JTC111 wrote:about 50% more than the Lucy Adams when one factors in the shipping and VAT (if my math is right).
Just noting that the prices listed on the TWZ site already include 19% VAT (but not shipping).

Syra

Re: Lucy Adams Low D

Post by Syra »

at first i want to thank you for your replies and have to beg your pardon for my mistake - i´m very uncomfortable with it...

i know the forum of the twz but there isn´t quite a lot talking so i thought maybe someone here might know it...
i like the service of twz and i ordered a lot whistles there because it is cheaper for me to buy in a german shop.
the thought about that whistle i made because my fingers are so short that even the piper´s grip is very hard for me to do - and this whistle seems to have closer holes - and (this is the most important point) i can afford it.

@MTGuru: ich werde einfach da auch mal eine anfrage starten, vielleicht findet sich ja da jemand ;)

thanks to all of you
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Hallo Syra,

gucke doch auch mal nach den Dixon Low Ds. Ich habe auch kleine Haende (bin nur 1,56 m mit S Groesse Handschuhen) aber es gibt Low Ds, die ich auch mit Piper's grip greifen kann. Etwas Gewoehnung und Stretchuebungen, dann geht das nach ein paar Wochen sicher gut. Mir gefiel der Klang in den Soundsamples trotz kleinem Echo nicht und ich glaube auch nicht alles war intune, kann aber auch am Spieler gelegen haben.

Es gibt aber noch andere Low Ds, die ich greifen kann, die sind wohl dann ausserhalb dieser Preisklasse, aber vielleicht findest Du ja eine gebrauchte auf Ebay mit Einschraenkung auf Europa, denn von ausserhalb der EU hast Du mit Einfuhrzoellen zu rechnen, es sei denn der Wert ist mit unter 45 Euro angegeben. Z.B. kann ich greifen (alphabetisch) Burke, Copeland, Dixon Plastik-LowD, Goldie, MK, Swayne, ein paar andere gehen nicht, sind meine Finger nicht dick genug fuer beim 5. Tonloch. Gebrauchte Low Whistles sind auch kein Problem zu finden und wenn sie ankommen, in warmes Seifenwasser legen und dann ist sie wieder sauber mit wenig Aufwand.

Und wenn Du z.B. die Dixon direkt bei Tony Dixon kaufst, ist diese dort nicht teurer als beim TWZ, im Gegenteil und innerhalb Europa/EU kommen fuer Dich ausser Postgebuehren keine weiteren Zollgebuehren auf Dich zu.

http://desc.shop.ebay.de/Musikinstrumen ... 86.c0.m282
Link zu Low D Suche innerhalb Europa

Wenn Du direkt von Tony bestellst, kann er Dir sicher auch Erfahrungswerte geben, ob er z.B. Ruecklaeufer hat wegen Problem beim Greifen, oder ob die selten sind.

Gruesse
Brigitte

P.S. @MTGuru.... I have seen in all these years possibly 5 TWZ whistles when people came to visit us never a Low one only the smaller ones and never in a shop we went to, they are quite exclusively sold via TWZ I believe in Germany, not sure if they are sold in the US or elsewhere.
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Syra

Post by Syra »

@ Brigitte: Ich habe eine Tony Dixon Low D, mache jeden Tag Strechübungen und trotz des Piper´s Grip nach einer halben Stunde spielen solche Schmerzen in den Fingern, dass ich meine Hände für mindestens ne Stunde nich richtig nutzen kann. Die von dir aufgeführten Whistles sind alle weit über meinem finanziellen Rahmen angesiedelt. Und Ebay kommt für mich nicht infrage. Ich habe auch im TWZ Forum nochmal nachgefragt, gerade auch wegen eines anderen Soundbeispiels, vielleicht kommt ja noch was.
Danke trotzdem ;)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Brigitte wrote:P.S. @MTGuru.... I have seen in all these years possibly 5 TWZ whistles when people came to visit us never a Low one only the smaller ones and never in a shop we went to, they are quite exclusively sold via TWZ I believe in Germany, not sure if they are sold in the US or elsewhere.
Ah thanks, Brigitte. When I read the OP, I thought of a music shop and salesman. But now I understand that Syra is talking about the website. I have never seen a TWZ whistle here in the US, either for sale or "in the wild" in the hands of a player.

Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Hallo Syra,

gebrauchte Whistles nicht oder nicht ebay? Viele der Ebay-Whistles sind ueber shops und neu angeboten.... wenn die Dixon solche Probleme bereitet, dann denke ich brauchst Du eine konische Low D, meistens ist es da mit den unteren 3 Tonloechern einfacher, aber es gibt nicht viele konische whistles und bei den Low Ds dann eben eher sehr teuer wie Copeland oder eine Swayne, es sei denn man findet eine gebrauchte, aber selbst gebraucht geht weit uebers Budget. Mir fiel aber noch etwas ein, aber dafuer muss ich ins Englische wechseln, weil dazu Input gebraucht wird.

I was wondering if one of Jerry Freemans tweaked Shaw Low Ds might be an option, the Shaw being conical would be easier on the hands and with Jerry's tweak the air requirements are not like a needing a compressor. Any insights on this? Jerry can you say something about your Low D tweak and if there is a shop in Europe one could order it? Big Whistle possibly?

Alternatively to a conical there are the off-set tone hole solutions as well that some makers offer on special request. Again the price tag is with 80 Euros on the lower side, maybe you could decide to save up another month or two and go above the 100 Euro-120 Euro pricetag and a whole new world will open on the whistle side and it may well be the last Low D you buy then and not having to buy another one at a later stage if you make compromises now saves you money longterm.

Greetings
Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
Syra

Post by Syra »

@Brigitte: Gebrauchte Whistle wäre nicht so das Problem, aber ich verweigere mich Ebay.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Just getting a bit worried as I was googling Jerry's whistle range and for some reason I thought there is a tweaked Shaw from him but cannot find anything. Was it just a consequent thought or am I confusing something here?

Greetings
Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I don't recall Jerry tweaking anything below his A Generation at this time. But he should be along shortly to respond on his own (although an e-mail or PM might get him sooner).

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.