Suggestion for Jerry Freeman's whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kimhj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Suggestion for Jerry Freeman's whistle!

Post by kimhj »

Generation D (brass), Mellow Dog, Blackbird, Bluebird and tweaked Shaw. (all whistles in D)

Please comment on each criteria. It's ok if you just make a comment about one whistle.

1) Air requirement
2) Sound (does it have smooth tone?)
3) Response (can you play ornaments clearly?)
4) Clogging

If you want to give additional information about a whistle, you are more than welcome to do so.
kokopelli
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Suggestion for Jerry Freeman's whistle!

Post by kokopelli »

kimhj wrote:Generation D (brass), Mellow Dog, Blackbird, Bluebird and tweaked Shaw. (all whistles in D)

Please comment on each criteria. It's ok if you just make a comment about one whistle.

1) Air requirement
2) Sound (does it have smooth tone?)
3) Response (can you play ornaments clearly?)
4) Clogging

If you want to give additional information about a whistle, you are more than welcome to do so.
I have a Freeman tweaked Gen brass body in D. It's got what I would consider to be a low to average air requirement. It's about the same as a regular generation in that as well as volume. The sound is pretty smooth, though not as much as my Clarke original. It responds fairly quickly, but ornamentation seems to "squawk" a bit. That might have a bit to do with how I play, but I haven't experienced a similar effect with any of my other whistles. It doesn't clog too fast. The plastic head seems to help with that. Usually I can clear the windway between songs and not have to worry about it in the middle of a song. That depends of the weather as well though. Also, the brass tube has some sort of finish on the outside that has started to wear off in places and looks rather ugly when it does. Mine even had some flash from the molding process left in the windway when I received it. Overall, it's not one of my favorite whistles. I like to believe that I just got a bad one because I've heard such good things here about Jerry Freeman and his whistles. I also got one in C of the same style, and I like that one quite a bit more. I haven't had any of the same problems with that one.
Check out the story I'm writing
http://theinventorsguild.blogspot.com/
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

The Bluebird is as good as it gets.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83811
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

I have a tweaked Gen D , a Blackbird, and in the past I've had a Sweetone and a Shaw.

I will start by saying the Shaw, I did not like. Clogging was an issue with that whistle, and it required some radical breath control, compared to an original - which can be difficult enough at times.

The tweaked Gen D is a good whistle, but like all Gen's the rather brittle plastic of the head is prone to cracking where it joins the tube. Mine arrived cracked when it was new. I have no doubt he would have replaced it if I had made it known to him, but really, there is nothing wrong with the whistle, so I kept it. The tone can be a little fuzzy, especially at the bell note, but it really speaks in the upper octave, and it's a fun whistle to wail away on. It will play acceptably with a fair amount of air, and also with a fair amount of control and less air. Response is pretty good. I have no clogging issues with it at all.

The Blackbird plays very similar to my tweaked Gen, IMO. I have always read that it required a more subtle breath, but I do not find this to be the case with mine... maybe it's me, or maybe it's just mine - I don't know. I often switch the head to a brass tube when I want it to sound a little more gritty, but it is definitely brighter and sweeter with the tube it came with. It uses a little more air on the brass tube I put it on, and less in it's original form - but it's still pretty average - very much like an Oak. Response is also pretty good, and again, I have no clogging issues with it.

As for ornamentation... that's got a lot more to do with the player, than the whistle. :wink:

The Bluebird has piqued my interest based on ecohawk's comments and my experience with the other JF whistles I've played, so I may try one. - Actually, I'm going to stop considering it and just order one...
Playing, not paying.
kimhj

Post by kimhj »

oh right, i also forgot to mention...

how's the volume???
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

I think I have every D and Bb whistle that Jerry currently sells. I'm not bragging, just a big fan. The Gen is a very solid whistle but not as pure and loud as the Bluebird or Blackbird. In fact, in response to AvienMael, if your Jerry Gen is fuzzy at the bell, you can be sure that it is leaking at the crack. Jerry will fix it for free if you return it to him. It shouldn't require as fine a breath control as the Blackbird. The Blackbird is somewhat of a conundrum, not in a bad way. Though it requires good breath control, it is deceptively loud at all levels. It was either MT Guru or Pancelticpiper, I forget now, who was involved in the design of the Blackbird and has posted comments here on this topic. It has a brilliant, if chiffy, clear tone.

I didn't like the Shaw either. I'm just not a fan of the "breathy" whistles, like the Shaw and Clarke. Some say it is the conical bore but I have a Copeland and a Hudson Winds and there is nothing breathy about these conical bore whistles. But that is a personal choice. Volume is on the low side of average.

None of Jerry's whistles have a clogging problem. It yours does, then it's defective or you need to change your playing style IMO.

I go back and forth between the Mellow Dog and the Bluebird because they are very similar and IMHO Jerry's finest creations, with the possible exception of his Gen Bb, a super whistle and a must have. If you only have one Bb get this one, and I prefer the silver (chrome?) over the brass which is rare for me. Back to the D's, I've been playing each one for 30 minutes/day for the past 24 days and can't make up my mind. Both have great volume, a solid bell note and are clear with just enough chiff (some of which is in control of the player), to lean toward traditional. If you have a clean playing style with crisp, positive fingering and breath coordination, they can be as clear as any. The third octave D is easily reachable with either. The low E, a deal breaker on some whistles since it can be really unsteady, is fine on both but ever so slightly better on the Bluebird. The Mellow Dog, like it's name, has a slightly warmer tone, but the Bluebird seems to find that perfect balance in all tonal categories. I used to think that the Mellow Dog was the "universal" whistle but now I'm not sure. Dammit!

Good luck with your choice,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

I would agree with ecohawk, the Freeman Generation Bb is superb and if anyone has a chance to play one, do so.

Ian
kimhj

Post by kimhj »

oh wow, thank you so much ecohawk!

After reading your post, I think I'm gonna go with bluebird!!! If I'm not satisfied with bluebird (i highly doubt that I will be) then I'll order Mellow Dog!!!

But just a little question..... why would you need a Bb whistle? (of course there might be a good reason for that...)