Spillane Whistle Discussion #2

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Spillane Whistle Discussion #2

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I traveled over to the GC forum and noticed that one of the forum members is selling a Spillane Whistle for $200. The thread states that, "Cost's $400.00 U.S. dollars if you order directly from Davy Spillane."

I have two questions for the forum:

1) Isn't that a bit much for a plastic (PVC) headed whistle?
2) Would any of you ever pay $400.00 for a plastic headed whistle? If so, why?

I don't beleive I would, but wanted to get some feedback from the forum.

Thanks
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Not unless it was Bloomy's; I believe that was a prototype and highly collectible... :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Re: Spillane Whistle Discussion #2

Post by Tyler »

KDMARTINKY wrote:I
2) Would any of you ever pay $400.00 for a plastic headed whistle? If so, why?
If it was God's whistle, maybe.... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

It is like any BRAND name -
you pay for the NAME
and not necessarily the product.

Certainly I would not pay this
for a plastic fippled bit of plumbing.

I have never been influenced by branding.
I just recently got a new Kerry "Songbird"
tunable Low D £99 Sterling. It is
a beautiful looking whistle, very well
finished. It is sweet, stable
and easy to play. If you are looking
for a good whistle you could do
worse than look in that direction.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
Kansas

Plastic headed whistle / An amatuer take.

Post by Kansas »

I've read about the Spillane whistle controvery.
I am a rank amateur in whistling, but I've bought a lot of things on line. And in retail buying for a lot of years.

1. Why would someone sell a $400 item that could not be very old for half price when most on this forum get 60-70% + for used whistles in good condition.

2. Since getting one Spillane whistle was so difficult, how does one know it is really a Spillane like the one reported on in this forum?

3. Yes, whether plastic headed or not, $200 up is something to make sure one wants. For $200 we are talking near a new Overton, and for the $400 we could be talking the Copeland. Both of which are very well reported.

4. So by careful consideration, if not experience, I would think there is a lot of "Brand name price" in there. But I've not read of the sound quality.

So I would certainly pass. For me Caveat Emptor applies well.

And my Kerry plastic head Low D bought used was a lot less.
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Spillane Whistle Discussion #2

Post by colomon »

KDMARTINKY wrote:2) Would any of you ever pay $400.00 for a plastic headed whistle? If so, why?
Isn't that under the going price for O'Riordan's on eBay? Is there some technical reason I'm not aware of why Pat's whistle heads wouldn't be considered plastic?

Mind you, I've never paid more than $130 for a whistle....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Colman said:
Isn't that under the going price for O'Riordan's on eBay? Is there some technical reason I'm not aware of why Pat's whistle heads wouldn't be considered plastic?
Wow, good question and I can't really answer the question. I have never owned one of Pat's instruments although I have heard nothing but good things about them. I guess its my thinking that $400.00 is just a lot of money.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Mind your own business!

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

KDMARTINKY,

Why don't you mind your own business! I have no dealings with you. Stay out of my personal affairs!! My post on Gaelic Crossings is non of your business & should have never been included on chiff & fipple. If I wanted my post on this board I would have decided that for myself.

This board is very destructive in nature. It's true I only sell whistles here because thats all that it's worth! I don't add to the non-sense presented on this board! It's a total waste.

I do not post reply's often but this time I refuse to allow you to do this. Are you perhaps a bit obsessed with me? Your comments in the past several months have been nothing but harsh. I have avoided all of them until now! However, I do not intend on further responding to your sillyness on this message board because I respect myself to much for that! Cut the crap & get a life!!

P.S. Anyone can see exactly what your motives are for posting this message! A few month ago you made a "public appology" on this board that you were very sorry for any trouble that you have caused me by saying deliberate things about me. Now, you are trying to destroy my sell of an item by telling others about your lack of experience regarding a whistle (YES, YOUR LACK OF EXPERIENCE IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM). Truth is, you are very confused about who you are. Anyone can see that your motives are very, troublesome! Be a child and do what children do. Go away & play with other children! On the otherhand, you are in good company here! Understood?
Last edited by Talbert St. Claire on Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Jay-eye

Re: Mind your own business!

Post by Jay-eye »

talbert st.claire wrote: Cut the crap & get a life!!
I sense Dale will probably echo this sentiment when he intervenes in this thread in the not too distant......

I think you should follow your own advice too, talbert.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

talbert st.claire wrote:KDMARTINKY,

Why don't you mind your own business! I have no dealings with you. Stay out of my personal affairs!! My post on Gaelic Crossings is non of your business & should have never been included on chiff & fipple.

I do not post messages often but this time I refuse to allow you to do this. Are you perhaps a bit obsessed with me? Your comments in the past several months have been nothing but harsh. I have avoided all of them until now! However, I do not intend on further responding to your sillyness on this message board because I respect myself to much for that! Cut the crap & get a life!!

P.S. Anyone can see exactly what your motives are for posting this message! A few month ago you made a "public appology" on this board that you were very sorry for any trouble that you have caused me by saying deliberate things about me. Now, you are trying to destroy my sell of an item by telling others about your lack of experience regarding a whistle (YES, YOUR LACK OF EXPERIENCE IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM). Truth is, you are very confused about who you are. Anyone can see that your motives are very, troublesome! Be a child and do what children do. Go away & play with other children! Understood?

Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Peter Laban wrote:
talbert st.claire wrote:KDMARTINKY,

Why don't you mind your own business! I have no dealings with you. Stay out of my personal affairs!! My post on Gaelic Crossings is non of your business & should have never been included on chiff & fipple.

I do not post messages often but this time I refuse to allow you to do this. Are you perhaps a bit obsessed with me? Your comments in the past several months have been nothing but harsh. I have avoided all of them until now! However, I do not intend on further responding to your sillyness on this message board because I respect myself to much for that! Cut the crap & get a life!!

P.S. Anyone can see exactly what your motives are for posting this message! A few month ago you made a "public appology" on this board that you were very sorry for any trouble that you have caused me by saying deliberate things about me. Now, you are trying to destroy my sell of an item by telling others about your lack of experience regarding a whistle (YES, YOUR LACK OF EXPERIENCE IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM). Truth is, you are very confused about who you are. Anyone can see that your motives are very, troublesome! Be a child and do what children do. Go away & play with other children! Understood?

Now, that's a good laugh!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Teri just had a coconut thrown at her in PM Image for quoting me but I didn't get anything for my post.

I feel left out.
Last edited by Cayden on Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

talbert st.claire wrote:I do not post messages often but this time I refuse to allow you to do this.
I wish I could be as wonderful and talented as you are, Talbert. But I do understand what it means to post on a public forum: it's not your business to allow or disallow posts by others.
/Bloomfield
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

Can't we all just get along?!?!?! I have pondered for years why other people irk other people in these ways...and I still don't understand it. (Note that I am neutral in the matter) Talbert, you have every right to sell things any which way you please, but you must understand that KD also has a right to argue prices (as a consumer). If he bugs you that much, just ignore him. Don't let things get to you...I have seen a good share of people have heart attacks over silly arguments like this.

:x = :twisted: = :devil: = :moreevil:

change it to :x = :roll: = :party:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

ShadowBG625 wrote:... If he bugs you that much, just ignore him. Don't let things get to you...
Yes! Try BEING like "the" palm tree. :)
/Bloomfield