FS:Bernard Overton Non-Tunable Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

FS:Bernard Overton Non-Tunable Low D

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi All,

Well, it's time to regroup, and sell some more whistles, as I get deeper into the flute jungle, it seems.

I will include Priority Mail Insured Shipping on all, to the continental US only (HI and AK extra).

LAST CALL! :party:

Still Available:
Bernard Overton (non-tunable) Low D (2005) $175 A Low D with all the character of tone that you could ask for, nice and expressive with just the right amount of chiff. This is the first Low D I heard that made my ears take notice: Ahh, so that's what a Low D sounds like-I love it! It doesn't have as much back pressure as a Colin Goldie Overton I had before, but still has some, to good effect. The windway is also higher, and won't clog as readily as the higher back pressure whistles. Only a few light wear marks if you look closely. The tone holes are on the sharp side, so if you are sensitive to that, you might want to smooth them with some fine emery paper. Stretch on the lower hand is medium to long (slightly longer than the O'Briains). New retail is now about $246 + shipping from Bigwhistle.com.

[SOLD]Cillian O'Briain (tunable) Low D (ca 2003) $150 This actually sounds very much like the Overton above, when played side by side, but with just less chiff. Nice strong bottom end, as does the Overton. Takes a bit more air than the Overton, with the lesser back pressure of the OB. I bought this recently from PhilO, who did the original review of it on Chiff here-scroll down to number VI here:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/cf3-7-03/cf.htm

After you read his review (exact same whistle for sale) you will understand why I have wanted to try it if he ever sold it! Very accurate review of the OBriain too, and very complete. Last new retail on this was about $270. Cillian stopped making Low Whistles at the end of 2004, to concentrate on Uilleann pipes, sad to say for us whistlers. I don't think his production was all that many, in total either.

[SOLD]Cillian O Briain (non-tunable) Low D (ca 2004) $150 This one is an exceptional non-tunable whistle-it is very responsive, and has a more unique tone to it than the tunable version. The finish is different also-looks whiter, with more of a brushed, satin finish. Hardly a mark on it, except for Cillian's hand finishing file marks around the window, and the flats around it. Not machine made, as you can see on all his low whistles, with his marks around the window area, no doubt for fine tuning, and the hand finishing of this tricky area. A little less chiff also than the tunable whistle-more pure toned, but still with some overtones present. This one I will miss-it's my pick of the three for a great Low D, though any of them will make you smile to play them! Last new retail on this (what I paid) was $230 from WhistleandDrum.com.

[SOLD]Sweetheart Blackwood high d (old style ca?) $50. I picked this up from another Chiff member a while back for $65, and I took the wrap off the tenon to see if it had a crack (it did not), and meant to find some cork to re-do the tenon, or send it off to the Sweets to have it done, and ask if they could revoice it to play quieter in the upper register. It typically (for the old style Sweethearts) needs to be pushed a bit to play the upper octave, and this one squawks if you don't hit it right, with the right pressure. So, if you want it as-is, it's still a great price for a Blackwood high d, with silver trim, which retailed last for about $175 before it was discontinued. It also has a small chip out of the back of the lighter colored wood in the fipple plug, which could be filled if so desired. It wasn't noticable for feel when played.

Thanks for looking, Email or PM with any interest or questions!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

The non-tunable Cillian O'Briain is spoken for. Thanks for your inquiries!

The rest are still available at this time. Thank you!
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

The Sweetheart Blackwood high d has been sold too, and will be saying bye-bye shortly!

Thank you for your interest.

And, thank you Blackhawk, your check is in the mail! :wink:

Oops, I thought I PM'd you!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

For anyone who doesn't know him, Barry's a good guy. Very dependable and his word is good.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Finn MacCool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I enjoy networking with others about trad tunes and whistles, learning fingering techniques and searching for sesiuns
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain (Orange County, California, that is)

Re: For Sale: Overton Low D, Cillian OBriain Low D

Post by Finn MacCool »

greenspiderweb wrote:Cillian O'Briain (tunable) Low D (ca 2003) $150
Folks, that is a great price. I bought what I claim as the last tunable O'Briain Low D for USD $240 in July 2004 [I visited Cillian's workshop in Dingle, he went rummaging around boxes stored on the highest shelf to come up with this one remaining whistle.

[The original post about my visit with Cillian may be found at:]
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Snap this one up!

-Jeff
Last edited by Finn MacCool on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhOA count: 20... and shopping

Re: For Sale: Overton Low D, Cillian OBriain Low D

Post by greenspiderweb »

Finn MacCool wrote:
greenspiderweb wrote:Cillian O'Briain (tunable) Low D (ca 2003) $150

Folks, that is a great price. I bought what I claim as the last tunable O'Briain Low D for USD $240 in July 2004 [I visited Cillian's workshop in Dingle, he went rummaging around boxes stored on the highest shelf to come up with this one remaining whistle.

[The original post about my visit with Cillian may be found at:]
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

Snap this one up!

-Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I remember when you got that last whistle from Cillian, that must have been a great day for you, and a great trip. You actually got a bargain there! I paid $230 for my non-tunable from WhistleandDrum.com, and the tunable was at $270. Shanna Quay had always been higher, but they had already run out!

I don't believe there are many of Cillian's Low whistles out there, probably even less than the Chieftain Golds, from the few I've seen available. They are fine whistles, it's our loss that he stopped making them. I would keep it, but I need the money. Hang on to yours if you can!
~~~~
Barry
MsC

For Sale: Overton Low D, Cillian O'Briain Low D

Post by MsC »

Greenspiderweb, check your PM's.
MsC
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

The two Low D's are still available! :lol: :cry: :swear: :-? :x :x :lol: :o :x :swear: :swear: :sniffle: :lol: :oops:

Sorry, Emoticonitis struck me! :( :D :moreevil: :wink: :party: :o :D :cry: :( :cry: :party: 8) :lol: :( :moreevil: :evil: :evil: :sniffle: :sniffle: :swear: :party: :devil: :devil: :swear: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :-?
~~~~
Barry
MsC

Post by MsC »

Another question--check your PMs.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

MsC wrote:Another question--check your PMs.
I didn't get a PM, maybe you could email me instead, thanks.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Whistles Reduced for sale!

Post by greenspiderweb »

OK gang, interested parties please take note:

Overton Still Available $175, O'Briain now [SOLD]

Last call on these, thanks!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
Dralore
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

O'Briain Low D

Post by Dralore »

I have been trying to find an O'Briain for a while now, and am very interested. I emailed you about purchasing it. Please let me know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Boy, Barry, I'm glad that O'Briain tuneable Low D found a home - a great whistle in worthier hands than mine.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

PhilO wrote:Boy, Barry, I'm glad that O'Briain tuneable Low D found a home - a great whistle in worthier hands than mine.

Philo
Yes, me too, Phil. Sometimes it just takes time for a whistle to seek out and find the right owner! It's definitely a whistle to be appreciated, you were certainly right about that the first time you reviewed it!
~~~~
Barry