Surprising impressions of various whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-11-25 08:59, serpent wrote:
AAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!! I'm tied with Wombat!!!

Quick! Make more posts!

:grin:
serp
Do I need an invitation, Bill?

I just wanted to add something I think I've said on other threads and that is how much I appreciate Wendinas patient attempts to explain some of the subtle (and not so subtle) facts of life for those trying to make a living selling instruments with no mass market to very fussy customers. On that other thread I explicitly asked for this and was very pleased when makers and retailers responded in detail. We all need to know these facts and we should not ignore them when we make accusations.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

No, Bill, you've PASSED both Wombat and Cees. At the rate you're going, you'll be top ten in a few weeks.

What the heck is going on here? It started as a commentary on trying various whistle types and has ballooned into a frenzy of recrimination and name calling. Hey, I know some folks wear their hearts on their sleeves, but putting it on the end of a pole and shoving it six feet out in front of you is an invitation to bruised feelings.

If Dale really were the big bad brother mike.r seems to think he is, he'd have closed and locked this thread long since, not just cautioned moderation. Too much anger, too much recrimination and WAYYYY too much angst.

I don't get it. Do some folks enjoy hurting others and/or being hurt?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2002-11-25 08:04, mike.r wrote:
you can be sure I have now closed the door quietly behind me.
I'll join QT3.14159 :
This wouldn't make sense. Were you quitting the schoolyard at first brawl with the unavoidable 2-nd year local big mouth bully ? That would be a regrettable "moral majority" behavior : just go "meeh-meeh" and let self-invested shepherds bark you out ? C'mon, be a sport. Lay back, take a breath. Be ready to fight back, which starts by just holding to your ground.

However, sounds like you Mikes (R, Flugelhorn) are generally touchy, in this yard.

OK, one just got a slight blow from the school's principal, so what ? This is a side-effect, downfall like. See, he generally expects us to behave like grown-ups. When he sees too much of brawl and all the puppies pack tangled in a loud mess, some get really whacked (and I don't think you did) and some mildly slapped just for a question of balance. At that point there's no use whining and saying the other "started it foyst", we're in realpolitiks, Linus. You better go stand in that corner yonder, and sulk it out. You're welcome any time when smiling again. We love ya.

I may talk bizarre, but I'm sure parents and teachers will dig me jive.

Simply put, you shouldn't take offense. Or, as Russians say "When you fall timber, shavings fly"

Post by klezmusic »

Mike R. please check your private messages.

Wendy
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

Wow. I had no idea my little thread was still around.

Where was I for the last four pages of this stuff? I can't believe I missed all the fun! It's got everything! Yelling! Shoving! Misinterpretation! Dale Wisely himself! Posting Competitions! People leaving and then not leaving!I feel like I'm truly one of the initiate now.

All I can add is--Thank goodness for HTM, many thanks to Wendy, and to everyone else who spend so much time entertaining each other. I love whistles! I love Chiff and Fipple!

We need a theme song.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-11-25 20:33, Michael Sullivan wrote:
I love whistles! I love Chiff and Fipple!

We need a theme song.
How about "I'm a Chiff and Fipple fan, I'm a Chiff and Fipple fan..." to the tune of Popeye the Sailor? (I don't remember it's "right" name--College Reel?")

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
klezmusic

Post by klezmusic »

Actually, Daisy, I think you're thinking of Popeye's ditty "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man ..... I fights to the finach coz I eats my spinach". I don't think it's an Irish tune, seems to me it was made up for the cartoon. Anyway, it would be a single jig with no B part. The lyrics don't scan too well.

OTOH, the College Hornpipe, AKA the Sailor's Hornpipe, is the (wordless) tune people often associate with Popeye. You know, the one that goes "Diddle UMP BUMP BUMP, diddle umpty dumpy dump" etc.

How about:

I'm a Chiff-and-Fipple Fan and I'm okay,
I play all night and I post all day.
I tweak my whistles, I practice hard
Wish I had a Burke low D.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
and order from HMT

I cut down the cheapo whistles
I like to play slow airs.
I put on Renaissance clothing
and hang around at Faires

--
B sharp, C?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: klezmusic on 2002-11-25 21:59 ]</font>
serpent

Post by serpent »

OH MY GOD!!! (Cough! Choke!!) WENDINA!! Not while I'm eating POPCORN, Dammit!!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

serpent
serpent

Post by serpent »

<font size=+1>mike.r</font>
If yer lurkin', check your private messages!
Cheers,
serp
klezmusic

Post by klezmusic »

On 2002-11-25 04:10, jim stone wrote:
Surely at the point that HMT staff are writing lengthy intelligent messages to us explaining past difficulties and testifying to their resolve to do well by us, it's time to give them another chance!
Oops, meant to respond to this before and Explorer froze up on me. To clarify - my posts are done from home on my own time, and represent my personal opinion, and over 30 years of retail experience, 20 of them in the music biz.

I do not post here in an official capacity as the Appointed Voice of HMT and my boss does not know I am posting nor does he read C&F except when someone refers him to a situation in need of correction, as happened last summer on the Flute Forum.

However, I am well aware that since many times I am defending HMT, and I also happen to work there, many if not most people will regard me as an official spokesperson. Which is why I have tried to be restrained and thoughtful in my posts, and have not responded in kind to some of the comments that have been made about my place of work.

If I were not connected with HMT, my choice of language might be ever so slightly more piquant.

:wink:

I'm a ChiffandFipple fan and I'm OKAY...

--
B sharp, C?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: klezmusic on 2002-11-25 22:20 ]</font>
klezmusic

Post by klezmusic »

On 2002-11-25 22:11, serpent wrote:
OH MY GOD!!! (Cough! Choke!!) WENDINA!! Not while I'm eating POPCORN, Dammit!!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

serpent
Didn't your mother ever warn you not to sing with your mouth full?
Wendina

--
B sharp, C?
jeffmiester

Post by jeffmiester »

On 2002-11-25 20:33, Michael Sullivan wrote:
Where was I for the last four pages of this stuff? I can't believe I missed all the fun! It's got everything! Yelling! Shoving! Misinterpretation! Dale Wisely himself! Posting Competitions! People leaving and then not leaving!I feel like I'm truly one of the initiate now.

All I can add is--Thank goodness for HTM, many thanks to Wendy, and to everyone else who spend so much time entertaining each other. I love whistles! I love Chiff and Fipple!

We need a theme song.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Too funny man!
Ahh, I LOVE these kinds of posts! :smile:
---The opinions and views expressed in this post are not necessarily the author's opinions. If you agree with them, they are mine. If you disagree, they are someone else's.---
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Mike.R please check your private messages.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-11-25 21:27, klezmusic wrote:
[snip]

How about:

I'm a Chiff-and-Fipple Fan and I'm okay,
I play all night and I post all day.
I tweak my whistles, I practice hard
Wish I had a Burke low D.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
and order from HMT

I cut down the cheapo whistles
I like to play slow airs.
I put on Renaissance clothing
and hang around at Faires

"And I whistle, whistle, whistle, away whistle all my cares!"

M
[who hasn't been called "Daisy" in a VERY long time :smile: ]
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

No offense, Wendy, but I'm not sure it has the universal applicability that the almost seventeen hundred of us would want in a theme song. Not speaking for myself here, but some of us would refuse to sing the line with the HMT plug, I guess, and I myself am not a fan or frequenter of Renaissance Faires.

And no mention of special food!