Surprising impressions of various whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Michael Sullivan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Michael Sullivan »

A few days ago I visited the House of Musical Traditions in Washington D.C. for the first time. I was exposed to a good many kinds of whistles for the first time and I tried them all. I won't try to give any thorough critiques or mention everything I played; the following represents what I found unexpected or surprising:

Walton's Little Black Whistle: I was really unimpressed by these. There was a large number of them and I tried quite a few to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. Nope. They sounded really bad to me. Weak, squeaky, thin. Also seemed very fragile. Good reviews appeared unjustified. By contrast,

Walton C: I thought this was very nice. Pleasant sound, good weight. I think I might buy one.

Susatos: thumbs down. Many keys sampled, all sounded like reedy recorders.

Generations: these were definitely the most pleasant surprise. I was expecting a lot of horrors, from what I've read, but really I thought nearly all of them were not too bad. There were lots of these, too, in lots of keys, and most seemed to have potential. If a little messing around with them would make them even better, I think for the price they're really very good.

Now for the more expensive guys--

Sweetheart: looks too much like a recorder for my taste. I like whistles that look like whistles, not like props at a Renaissance Fair. The sound was nice enough but nothing special and a little weak.

Dixons: I have spoken elsewhere of my disappointment with the Dixon brass slide D but here I got to see a wide range of his work. It seemed to me that the whistles were definitely not uniform in quality, some very good, some not so much. I'm not sure if some keys are better than others or if you have to take it one instrument at a time. The B flat I tried was wonderful, one of my favorites anywhere. It was warm, smooth, clear--a bit more money in my pocket would have sealed the deal.

Chieftain: this was the big shocker. They had one soprano D and it stank. The upper octave was practically unplayable--it sounded like there was a little gremlin in the windway spitting at me. Very muddy tone, not pleasant to play. Maybe I needed to warm it up or something? On the other hand it looked very nice and felt pleasantly solid and heavy. Hm.

Thin Weasel: These were awesome. My wife and the sales clerk and I all agreed that these sounded the best of all. Beautiful tone, nice to play, neat-looking. The fipple construction was very unusual. I didn't expect to like these guys the best but I thought they were swell. Too bad they cost so much.

So much for my brief impressions. Keep in mind that there were plenty of people in the store, some of whom were making noise themselves, and that my acquaintance with each instrument was pretty brief. I'm more than willing to alter my views with the opportunity.

Anyone who still disagrees or feels offended is welcome to call me a fathead. It's good for me.
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Was Wendy (a.k.a. Wendina) there? (HMT is her employer.) I would value her opinion. The for-sale whistles she brought up to the workshop were hand-picked to weed out klunkers. She seemed to share your opinion on Susatos, too.

Ralph Sweet is one of my favorite dance partners, but I've never played his whistles. So much as I may want to, I can't defend his work. Nonetheless, he's a cool dude--dancer, caller, musician.

Marguerite
Michael Sullivan

I don't think Wendy was there that day.

I certainly don't want to disparage Mr. Sweet or, really, his whistles. My main complaint is about the look and that overrode my attention to the sound. I really like the cylindrical body topped by a fipplehead look in a whistle. The conical body is my biggest complaint about the Sweetones, for instance (having no head the Clarke originals are a different story. I think those are quite attractive). Of course the way it sounds and plays is the most important thing about an instrument but the image is definitely a factor for me.

Certainly I know plenty of people who would find the look of the Sweethearts a great advantage. I'm just not one of them.

I forgot to mention that it was the first wooden whistle I'd played. I found the wood smell very pleasant and a plus.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-11-06 09:52, mvhplank wrote:
Was Wendy (a.k.a. Wendina) there? (HMT is her employer.) I would value her opinion. The for-sale whistles she brought up to the workshop were hand-picked to weed out klunkers.
Makes you wonder who gets stuck with HMT's "Klunkers" doesn't it?

Loren
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Michael, I am not going to call you a fathead. Your impression seems spot on in most cases, compared with my experiences.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2002-11-06 10:16 ]</font>
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I wonder who ends up with klunkers in all the brands. Makes me wish for a melting vat, Loren. Rid the world of instruments that discourage people from playing.

When i used to sell guitars, a klunker was an expensive proposition. We did consignments and after a while you had to ask the client to cut the price (that after even accepting the things with misgivings but trying to be nice). Very awkward situation.

At least with whistles, only small amounts of rainforest wood or mined metals are involved and a relatively small price expectation...Not with hand-made guitars.
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-As for your negative experience with the Chieftain-Don't judge any alloy whistle by a cold play-they all need to warm up for proper tone and tuning, a matter of a few minutes play until you feel the whistle body is warm. Without the warm-up, tone will be harsh in high octave, tuning bad, and the octave break may sound like a kid whose voice breaks entering puberty.

Brian O.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brianormond on 2002-11-06 11:27 ]</font>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Y'know, it really is funny how good the Walton C sounds compared to the average Walton D. I wonder why that is?

Ya shouldn't have dissed the Susatos. The mob will get ya for that.

Its odd - I'm coming to like the Sweet D - didn't at first. Still a touch too recorderish, but a nice sound and easy to play.
madguy

Post by madguy »

Does my heart good to know someone besides me turns their thumbs down to Susatos!! :smile:

~Larry
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

madguy,

I don't know if you've already posted, but have you had a chance to try the VSBs?

John Mac
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2002-11-06 11:23, Chuck_Clark wrote:
Ya shouldn't have dissed the Susatos. The mob will get ya for that.
Not necessarily, after Kelhorn Mike showed his horns. If he doesn't care what people on the message board post about Susatos, why should we?

I happen to like Susato VSB d whistles. But if I ever want to buy more, I will certainly support a retailer so the maker will make only half as much. HA!

I, too, have visited HMT. It was a great time.

Jessie
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

On 2002-11-06 11:44, madguy wrote:
Does my heart good to know someone besides me turns their thumbs down to Susatos!! :smile:

~Larry
Me, too...Susatos = :roll:
Michael Sullivan

Glad to see I have a few comrades!

By the way, I just went back there and have returned home two whistles richer: a Generation F and B flat. I could afford them, will have fun tweaking with them, and it seems like everyone who whistles ought at least to have a few, if only for old times' sake.

I'm just as excited about my other purchase of the day, an old copy of the Liber Usualis. But that's a whole other beast.
Wandering_Whistler

Post by Wandering_Whistler »

On 2002-11-06 11:44, madguy wrote:

~Larry
Larry:
There are a number of folks in here who've expressed disappointment in susatos. I personally find them the most 'plastic' sounding instrument of all my plastic instruments and find the high A and B a bit painful. The only one I still own is a Susato A, and that's probably cause I don't ever play it and so don't have a reason to replace it. :wink:
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

On 2002-11-06 09:40, Michael Sullivan wrote:
Thin Weasel: These were awesome. My wife and the sales clerk and I all agreed that these sounded the best of all. Beautiful tone, nice to play, neat-looking. The fipple construction was very unusual. I didn't expect to like these guys the best but I thought they were swell. Too bad they cost so much.
The PVC Water Weasels sound almost exactly the same (at least the D models) and they cost drastically less than the wooden whistles.