Hi from a noob! and looking for a tweaker

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bethanie

Hi from a noob! and looking for a tweaker

Post by Bethanie »

Hi folks,

I just got my first whistle in the mail two days ago, and I'm definitely hooked! I've been poking around these forums a bit, and I'm happy to be in the company of so many delightful fanatics. I started looking around at whistles because I wanted to add a new dimension to my church band, and the research alone has been a wonderful eye-opener. I already sing, play piano, write songs and have recently resumed violin, so hopefully I'm not overtaxing myself here!

I was also wondering if anyone has any news at all re: Eric Torp-Olsen. My first whistle is a Clarke in D - which is fine, but I already am looking to upgrade. I'm on the waiting list for a whistle from Mitch Smith, but I'd also like a better metal whistle. After I saw Tony Hinnigan's wonderful review on the Walton Mellow D that Eric tweaked I tried to look him up, but sadly his site seems to be out of commission. Hopefully all is well with him??

Also will be looking for a teacher.

Happy to be here! :D
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

For an easy-to-get tweaked Mellow-D, you probably can't do better than Jerry Freeman's Mellow Dog (get the additional C body for about $5 too).

The Mellow Dog is actually a tweaked Feadóg C head on a Mellow D body (extended to correct the pitch of the bell note).

It's a great whistle, and recommended very often here on the forums. Do a search and you'll find plenty of comments. It's an easy blower with a pure tone.

You can get the C/D set for about $50.

Jason
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Jason Paul wrote:You can get the C/D set for about $50.
$41.50 plus $4.80 postage.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Is that postage within the US ? (he ducks!):wink:
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

I heard that the postage is free to Chile...
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Jason Paul wrote:You can get the C/D set for about $50.
$41.50 plus $4.80 postage.

Best wishes,
Jerry
See, even better. :)

Jason
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Jason Paul wrote:For an easy-to-get tweaked Mellow-D, you probably can't do better than Jerry Freeman's Mellow Dog
It is a fantastic whistle IMHO!
Bethanie

Thanks!!

Post by Bethanie »

Thanks a bunch, guys, for your input.

I think I'll spring for the Freeman tweaked set, but I still wonder about the guy in Norway and wish him all the best.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

You mentioned you'll also be looking for a teacher. Unless you live in a major city, whistle teachers will be hard to come by. It's amazing what's available online now. Before finding a local session group with a couple very good whistle players, I learned quite a lot online and actually got pretty good just from online tutorials. And that was before YouTube, where I've seen some very good tutorial videos. But do keep checking locally for another player. Where do you live?

I started with Brother Steve's tutorials:
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

Here's a link to Ryan Dun's tutorial site. He's an excellent player and his videos are very good, going from square one to advanced techniques.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RyanDunsSJ

Another link:
http://www.whistlethis.com/index.php?co ... FXNTBjbTg9

Another excellent player is Michael Eskin, and in his videos I like the way he first plays the tune so you know what it sounds like at speed, then goes through it again very slowly so you can watch the fingering. The only thing that would be a problem for beginners is he still uses all the embellishments in the slower version that could be confusing. But they're good videos once you've learned the basic techniques and want to learn the tunes in the turorials.
http://www.tradlessons.com/?cat=4

BTW, the whistle he's using in the videos is a Burke brass session D, one of the best all around whistles on the planet.
Bethanie

Post by Bethanie »

Thanks, Ballyshannon - those are really helpful. I live in the USA, near Baltimore and Philadelphia but not close enough that I want to drive there frequently for lessons.

I had actually been practicing along with Ryan Dun on YouTube, and while he's a very good and thorough teacher something about his style wasn't resonating too well with me. After checking out your other links I very much prefer Michael Eskin. The less talking the better, and the embellishments aren't too confusing. And yes, his whistle does sound great!

Random musing: From henceforth, I shall only buy tunable whistles! My current one, while pretty well in tune with itself, is several cents sharp. Grrr.

Another question: After I have my Freeman C/D set, what's a good key for my next whistle? I'd like one I can play in flats.

Full-on case of WhOA.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Hi Bethanie.
Try and control that WhOA. It can have you looking for a second job in no time!

Eskin's a good player and I agree his videos are probably easier to follow, especially when he goes through them at the slower tempo.

Now that you're into whistle, your "whistle radar" will be up and I'm sure in time you'll run into other players. Hopefully you'll meet one or more with good experience and technique. It's kind of like getting a new car. You never really notice so many on the road until you have one.

Hey....I live in Madison, AL (Huntsville) and there's a large group of Celtic musicians here and growing. Whooda guessed?! When I first started learning whistle, like you I got hooked early on and desperately needed guidance to improve my playing. And I was concerned that I may end up playing by myself for my roommate and her cats the rest of my life. But I wanted more. I wanted to attend sessions and maybe end up in a band sometime. One day my roommate saw a piece in the newspaper announcing a special Irish/Celtic concert at UAH (University of Alabama in Huntsville) put on by a local Celtic session group...a group I was unaware of. Naturally I dropped everything and went. To my surprise, there were about 20 musicians on stage. They played several tunes I was learning, so I was pumped, and the concert was great. There were musicians ranging from beginner to professional. After the concert, I spoke with a girl who was the lead whistle and she invited me to join their weekly sessions at a local church. I couldn't believe this! I was part of that group for over two years and there were times when attendance reached 30+. We did more concerts and local events and it was valuable experience. There were several exceptional players who'd been playing Celtic music most of their lives, and I tended to hang around them, two of which are excellent whistle players. They took me under their wing and boy, did I learn a lot! The first thing they did was break me of some bad habits I'd developed while learning on my own and I actually became a pretty decent player with increasing confidence during that time. I even ended up playing whistle in a special Christmas concert with Grammy-nominated songwriter Claire Lynch who is from this area. http://www.clairelynch.com/ That was quite a night! I remember using my Sindt for that concert.

There were four players in particular who were obviously more talented and experienced in Trad music than the others (and myself) and between them, they play fiddle, guitar, bodhran, low & high whistle, banjo, and mandolin. They asked me to start joining them after the sessions at the local Irish pub, Finnegan's, to play more music. What an honor that was! So we started the now infamous "Thurs Night Finnegan's Session" that have been going on for about six years now. We've enjoyed the company of musicians from all over the world. In the meantime, the original large session group eventually disbanded. Those same four musicians asked me to join the band they'd been thinking about forming, and we became SlipJig in 2004 http://www.slipjigband.com/. I'm a guitarist by trade and used to tour with some big names as well as solo for about 30 years, so they asked me to be the band's guitarist and play some whistle as well. I jumped on that offer! I eventually learned DADGAD tuning and now I can't go back to standard tuning. SlipJig's biggest claim to fame has been opening a concert in Birmingham for Gaelic Storm. If you access the SlipJig web site and click on "Gallery", I'm the one on guitar in all the photos.

I was with SlipJig as guitarist/lead vocal/whistle for over two years, then left the band to team up with one of the best Irish fiddle/bouzouki players in the area, Larry Lynch (Claire's ex-husband) and gave me the opportunity to play more whistle. We did a duo for about two years then family issues for both of us stopped the duo for a while. Now we're back to rehearsing and have added a great bodhran player/singer, and a Uilleann pipe/whistle player. So we're getting back on track as well as still doing the Thurs Finnegan's sessions.

Please know this post isn't about blowing my own horn, but rather to give Bethanie hope and let her know great things can happen out of nowhere, when least expected, and in the least expected places. Who would have thought northern Alabama would have so many Celtic musicians, although Bluegrass and Celtic music often go hand-in-hand. Many Bluegrass musicians also play Trad and vice-versa.

Bethanie, just keep at it and keep your eyes and ears open for anything having to do with Irish/Celtic music locally or at least nearby. Keep us informed of your progress.

Bally

PS: Unless you're in a band that can play in any key to fit whatever whistle you feel like playing or what may sound best for certain tunes (which is what we do), D/C whistles will handle most trad sessions. But if you're looking to expand, I've found a mezzo A to be useful on occasion. Eb whistles are fun to play, though seldom useful for trad.

And yes, I'd suggest getting tunable whistles :)