Bracker Whistle Tour 2013

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Bracker Whistle Tour 2013

Post by Derek Blackwell »

If I could afford an additional whistle strictly for playing in the low range, the Bracker low D would be at the top of my list. It has beautiful voluminous lows, is beautifully in tune (about halfway between ET and trad by my measurements), responds easily to nuance, and has a lovely round sine wavey tone a bit like a Burke (although slightly breathier) but is easier to control than this or the Goldie and the Howard I used to have.

It doesn't break easily on the lows which is really nice, I can lean into it and put lots of expression and dynamics into my playing. It takes just enough air for me until I reach the second octave. The second octave has a cloudy, breathier sound with traces of the lower octave audible (which some people might like). It took me some time to realize that if I severely increase my air input on the second octave the tone clears up and becomes sweeter - but to do that simply takes more air than I've got. This also causes the whistle to go sharp starting about F#. It's possible a narrower bore might be the solution (if Hans still offers this) although I'd hate to sacrifice the power lows. Personally though, I'm just not thrilled enough about the tone of the upper octave which is much more noticeably "windy" sounding in comparison to the lower octave. Hearing demos Hans has recorded, I would say this appears to be the sound he prefers, and you might too.

A couple notes on fingering - the second octave root wants to be played OXXXXX whereas I'm used to XXXXXX. If this whistle were for me I would have to learn to adjust. Transitions to and from XXXXXX and the low octave yield an audible "jolt" to my ear and are sometimes in danger of breaking into the low octave D. Also the C# hole is a tad on the small side, and more difficult than the others to half hole. I decided thumb holes and offset holes are not for me.

The High D is a lovely instrument. The holes are small and very responsive to trilling etc, although not ideal to half hole. It takes very little air and is very sweet, although I found it challenging to play the lowest two notes cleanly - these require a more delicate touch, but I've tried many whistles that are much fussier this way and this may reflect my own lack of finesse - I like to lean into the lows. The C# is quite flat, about 25 cents by my measurement, but Hans offers options for tuning so I'm sure that could be easily remedied. Otherwise the High D is beautifully in tune across both octaves. It's also very responsive to dynamics. Overall it's bit on the quiet side, although I could get quite a substantial volume on the high octave and then also back off and play very quietly too. That's impressive.

I should add that these are not the first Brackers I've tried. My impressions were similar for a low F/G set I borrowed, so it would appear Hans does consistent work. He is also a very helpful and knowledgeable chap. Thanks so much Hans for making these available for everyone.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Thanks for your review Derek!

As the year nears its end the whistle tour is drawing to a close too, and I like to thank all who took part in this whistle tour, especially for your feedback and reviews!

With the end of the tour I like to offer the two tour whistles for sale in the US (as they are already there).
Please make me an offer if interested.
Current list price for a new high D is 110 GBP (ca. 180 USD), and for a new low D 175 GBP (ca. 285 USD).
The tour whistles should be available in about 7-10 days I reckon.
The low D comes with two bodies (with inline holes and offset holes), so whoever buys it will also get an extra body.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Hans, is that it for Bracker tours or is there any chance those of us on this side of the Atlantic will get to try out your whistles in the comfort of our own homes?
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

I was thinking just the same.

How about it Hans, is there any chance of a UK/Euro tour?
Happiness is taking things as they are.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

is there any chance of a UK/Euro tour?
Let's see how this tour ends first.
If the two whistles don't get sold in the US, I will arrange to get them back home.
A UK/EU tour may be a possibility in the coming year. But there was not much interest amongst C&F UK/European forum members. I've got a few names, maybe this is a start.

Frankly speaking: the US tour was received well and resulted in many very positive reviews, but has not resulted in any increase in whistle orders. From a maker's point of view it has been successful, but it has not increased orders, so commercially its worth is questionable. Perhaps given time this may change. The whole realm of "marketing" baffles me. I am not a Phil Hardy. But at least I know that the whistles I've made have been received well, with very few exceptions. So the "art and craft" is thriving, even though the "business" is not.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

hans wrote:
is there any chance of a UK/Euro tour?
Let's see how this tour ends first.
If the two whistles don't get sold in the US, I will arrange to get them back home.
A UK/EU tour may be a possibility in the coming year. But there was not much interest amongst C&F UK/European forum members. I've got a few names, maybe this is a start.

Frankly speaking: the US tour was received well and resulted in many very positive reviews, but has not resulted in any increase in whistle orders. From a maker's point of view it has been successful, but it has not increased orders, so commercially its worth is questionable. Perhaps given time this may change. The whole realm of "marketing" baffles me. I am not a Phil Hardy. But at least I know that the whistles I've made have been received well, with very few exceptions. So the "art and craft" is thriving, even though the "business" is not.
Hans, I imagine in this economy, orders are not easy to come by for anyone, but in the long run, this tour will be there for people to see and read about until Chiff is no more. That should be a while, so for your cost of shipping, plus the difference for what you sell the whistles (over new) may be well worth your time and effort for the tour. I would only imagine a European tour to enhance this cheap method of advertising for you. After all, there are many other well established whistle makers out there in the same boat now, and whatever edge you can find may well make a difference for you in time.

Wish I could have tried your Low D while it was nearby-sounds like a cracker of a whistle, as do your others, low and high! Hope 2014 is a better business year for you, and a better year for us all!
~~~~
Barry
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Hans,

After receiving/playing your whistles, I imagine business should only pick up for you. Your whistles are great. Intonation, tone, responsiveness all spot on. I really love your high d and actually used it to record my more recent tune lesson. I'll see about posting a clip of that once it's published. A sweet sounding whistle that doesn't screech on high A/B but still has a solid bottom d.
hans wrote: Frankly speaking: the US tour was received well and resulted in many very positive reviews, but has not resulted in any increase in whistle orders. From a maker's point of view it has been successful, but it has not increased orders, so commercially its worth is questionable. Perhaps given time this may change. The whole realm of "marketing" baffles me.
Best,
maki

Post by maki »

I took a new job recently, and unfortunately, it was a step back financially.
Otherwise, I'd buy both the high and low without a second thought.
At some point in the near future I'll order new.
Your whistles are superb!
hans

Post by hans »

The low D is now sold.
The high D is still available!