CP: Goldfinch Whistles - new content

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feaorn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CP: Goldfinch Whistles - new content

Post by Feaorn »

Dear ladies and gents,

Goldfinch Whistles is a father and son whistlemaking workshop based in Poland. It has been quite a few years since our Chiff and Fipple whistle tour. Please, allow me to announce we continue on our effort to deliver our Goldfinches to brilliant people from all around the world, and to improve our instruments' musical qualities as much as we can. Whistlemaking and performing music complement each other beautifully, and doing what you love to earn a living is a terrific experience.

Most certainly, we would like to share our current work with you right here - where else? On January we launched a new website with lots of new materials for you to try out - sound samples, album recordings, videos and photos. What is more, we added an artist testimonial section for the professionals to review our whistles and for you to get to know them artists - their music is well worth a listen! Finally, less serious stuff has its place there too, such as fun Goldfinch Whistles trad music-related posters drawn/designed by me in my scarce free time. All to be updated, expanded and polished as the time goes and good fortune allows.

Please, take a look at our website:
http://www.goldfinch.eu/

Also, just for a little taste, have a listen to Marcin Rumiński, a Polish whistle virtuoso, playing our High D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoW7zwudkCA

Would you have any questions on remarks, I would love to hear and answer them. :)
Best wishes,
Jakub Szczygieł
Goldfinch Whistles
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: CP: Goldfinch Whistles - new content

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Always thought you are making nice sounding whistles (although I can't get past the hurdle that is my dislike for PVC, sorry). Good luck with the website and the whistle making.

Nice soundclips too.
My brain hurts

Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

Thank you, Mr.Gumby. Well, there is high chance we will move on to some metal designs in the future, hopefully more to your liking and nice sounding too! :)
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

Jak, i know the real source of your recent inspiration...
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

You got me on this one, dear Italian Rover. ;)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I had a number of the original Susato whistles, machined out of PVC stock, back around 1980, and they played great. They had wood blocks (cedar?) and they never clogged.

Seems to me that having the thicker walls and chimneys (than thin-walled metal whistles) gives a 'woodier' tone.

Thanks for the info! I'm intrigued.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I've ordered a D soprano whistle, I'll be interested in how it compares to others i have.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

i actually own a C and a D Goldfinches. Waiting for the Bb and a custom fipple for a flute. (thanks for your kindness, mates)
The Goldfinches have a very distinctive sound, bright and clear, and (very important for me) they require very few air. More, are really well made and with a nice looking.
-It is all settled beneath the chatter and the noise. The silence and the feeling. The excitement and fear. The sparse, erratic flashes of beauty. And then the wretched squalor and the miserable man. All buried by the blanket of the embarrassment of being in the world.- (Jep Gambardella)
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

pancelticpiper - We will do our best to continue intriguing you and maybe, one day, make you a whistle to play and to love! ;)
accordionstu - All criticism most appreciated. Hopefully, our whistle setting will suit your taste. If not - just let us know and I am sure we will find a solution.
Italian Rover - Thank you! :)
Italian Rover

Post by Italian Rover »

Feaorn wrote: Hopefully, our whistle setting will suit your taste. If not - just let us know and I am sure we will find a solution.
True: despite his lovely sound, i found the Bb too "hard" for my style of playing. I simply returned the whistle after some day and i'm waiting for the new one, after sent some indications to Feaorn. More, when i purchased the D, I received two different fipples from which to choose. I returned one of them after some days of testing together the Bb.
A friendly and professional way of working: we are talking about VERY patient guys, i think Feaorn has his balls destroyed by my harassing requests concerning the frankensflute :boggle: