First Tune

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Treasach
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

First Tune

Post by Treasach »

Hello to all!!!

To the Whistle Board.

I was just wondering.
What was the first tune that you heard, (that had a penny whistle in it) that made you want to learn & play one?
Just wondering!!!
Treasach
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I heard about 20 pennywhistles doing Si Bheag Si Mhor at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games the first year I camped there in the late 60s.
Duckrasta

Post by Duckrasta »

Devil's Dance Floor by Flogging Molly, actually. I didn't really get into Irish Traditional stuff until after I picked up the tinwhistle.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Must have been in some movie... the theme of "Braveheart", possibly. Like Duckrasta, I picked up the instrument first and discovered the music later..
Grace

Post by Grace »

Good question, Treasach! :)

I've loved Irish traditional music for a long time (I've played it on the guitar) - and I have always loved the distinctive sound of the whistle. There's something so evocative about it - it can't compare to anything else... :) But as far as something that really had me finally doing something about learning to play the whistle -- I must admit - I think for me it had to be that Inner Light song that Captain Picard played on STTNG.... :)

Amazing Grace ranks right up there too - and in fact that's the first song I learned on the whistle.. One of my musician friends plays it on a Native American-style flute, and it is just gorgeous that way. My husband plays the low whistle a little, and he knew how to play AG, so he taught me that one -- and right then, I was hooked... :)

The poor man didn't know what kind of a monster he was creating.... ;) :lol:

Michele
"What your mind doesn't know, your heart fills in..." --Stargate SG-1

Friends don't let friends play cold whistles...
Dalberon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Dalberon »

I'd have to say the first place I heard it was in a few 'Enya' songs back in the late 80's. At the time I loved the sound and hadn't a clue what the instrument was.
-Tom
Gamer - Reader - Whistler - Pluviophile
Treasach

Post by Treasach »

The tune that did it for me was, Salley Garden on the CD Irish Dreams, Alisa Jones.
The penny whistle player on the CD is Billy Puett.
The first time that I heard this tune the whistle part sounded so haunting to me it , "stirred me Irish blood!"
I found out from what the sound came from & found a site with plans on how to make one.
I made a whistle & now I'm hooked!
The first tune that I learnsd was Salley Garden.
I look forward to playing & I 'll be glad when I can play a tune & I don't have to think about it, just feel it.
Treasach
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

I bought a Christmas cd with lots of jigs on it....but I didn't know what instrument. I have always wanted a harp, but the expense was a little big...and I was browsing around a music website..and found the whistle...and I'm really happy that I did. I probably would not have been happy with the harp as much as I am with my whistle!!!!

Since then, I have heard so many whistle tunes that I loved...but didn't know it was a whistle. It was FATE!!!
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Kind of embarrassed to admit it, but The Pogues' renditions of "Waxies' Dargle" and "Greenland Whale Fisheries" made quite an impression on my young teenage mind. What can I say? I was young, loud, and obnoxious, and liked my bands that way.

SEZ my aul' one to yer aul' one
Let's go to the waxie's dargle...
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

In my case I don't recall the particular tune, if any, but I know it had nothing at all to do with Irish music, contemporary or otherwise. I got my first one for playing American trad music in a semi-rigid reenactment setting. My first tunes were Simple Giftes, Greensleeves and Amazing Grace.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

My first encounter was at a live performance by a group called Rawlin's Cross. The band's piper also plays whistle in many of their tunes. Some of which were composed by himself. They were selling whistles at a booth and I thought, "For that price I can't really go wrong!" I didn't really get into it until finding this site though.

A.J.
cj

Post by cj »

Terribly commercial, I realize, but I guess Titanic and Riverdance did it for me. Then I found out about the more authentic Irish music through some folks around here, been to a pub performance or two and a couple of festivals. Heard Joanie Madden and was hooked. Also dig Loreena McKennitt, even though some folks here will probably cringe.
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I had been hearing whistles and flutes at sessions for a while and had considered it a number of times. However, the first Whistle tune that really pushed me to learn the whistle was <a href=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/cds/46/46196.html>The Black Cat </a> By <a href=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/99/loth ... hlorien</a> found on thier Ghostwood Album available from MP3.COM.

The other 'first tunes' was Gift of a Thistle which is used as the love theme in Brave Heart, and the Start of the County Down.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Minke

Post by Minke »

I don't have a specific song. But it was my grandfather that got me playing. I'm half Irish by my mother's side, and my grandfather used to play the music for my brother and I when we were young. He never really got into it but I soaked it up like a sponge. Grandpa bought me my first whistle when I was 7. Taught me some, off and on, but then he died when I was 15 and I put the whistle away for a long time. Finally got it back out and have started relearning. It's hard though.

Cheers, Minke
Just keep swimming...
glauber

Re: First Tune

Post by glauber »

Treasach wrote:I was just wondering.
What was the first tune that you heard, (that had a penny whistle in it) that made you want to learn & play one?
Just wondering!!!
Paul Simon's Graceland album, specifically the video for You Can Call Me Al. Later i learned that that style of whistling is called kwela. But that was the first time i saw a pennywhistle (in retrospect, it was probably a Shaw!), and i was hooked. At the time i had already been playing different kinds of flute (but not Irish) for 20 years. Irish came later.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--