Davy Spillane's whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Oh, "behave!"
/Bloomfield
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

susnfx wrote:Sorry - double tongue sticking out emoticon for some reason...one should only do that once, not twice, according to grade school protocol.
Was I the only one being stucked at the arcade playing pinballs while most students were out double-tonguing!? I knew I missed something.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

*sigh*

boys, boys...
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

susnfx wrote:I definitely think Chris is overqualified.

I think there should be a Five Steps to Davy Spillane game - like the Kevin Bacon movie version.
I was thinking more along the lines of a 12 step program for the Davy addiction. <----------- humor
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Step 1

We admit we are powerless over Davy Spillane- our lives have become unmanageble.

Step 2

Come to believe that a power greater than Davy Spillane can restore us to sanity.

Step 3

Make a decision to turn our lives and our will over to someone other than Davy Spillane.

Step 4

Make a searching and fearless whistle inventory and made ourselves realize the inventory DOES NOT include a Davy Spillane Whistle.

Step 5

Admit to God, to ourselves and to another whistler, the exact nature of our WHoA, particularly in reference to the elusive "holy grail Spillane whistle".

Step 6

We are entirely ready to have Someone remove these defects of whistling/WHoA.

(ok, I did the first 6, I'll hand it over for the final 6) :party:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Will this work, cowtime? :D :wink:

Step 7

Humbly ask Dale to remove our shortcomings.

Step 8

Make a list of all whistles we had ignored, and become willing to play and appreciate them all.

Step 9

Play and appreciate the sound of all these other whistles, but not to the point where we would injure anyone.

Step 10

Continue to take inventory of our personal whistle collection, and when it is lacking, promptly buy another readily available whistle.

Step 11

Seek through practice and session attendance to improve our conscious contact with proper I-Trad, praying only for knowledge of correct playing methods and the power to carry them out.

Step 12

Having had a musical awakening as the result of these Steps, we try to carry this message to others, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

These should work great. Now, what will we call this new 12 step group of addicts?

WA? and will there be an WA-anon support group too?

What about our symbol? Who will write our Big Book?
(think Dale W. could be persuaded?)
John Foster West
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

LOL!!!!!! :lol:
John Foster West
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

That reminds me of the old Civil Defense Emblems http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/

So now we need Whoa Preparedness Training and Whistle Defense for the cold fipple war.

Star Trek misquoted quote:
"Sir, Where can vee find the Nuclear Whistles?"

Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

talbert st.claire, would you happen to have a Michael Burke AL PRO low D to compare it to?

I can't imagine a whistle made by anyone that would beat that, plus you can offset the holes and play it standing up.

He has been up and running for years and I have heard rumors of Spillaine pipes and whistles for more years than Michael has been in business and have yet to see any of Spillaine's pipes or whistles.

The show I saw on PBS (Riverdance?) had him playing air whistle as his fingers were nowhere near the notes being played.

I know his playing on one of the Drones and the Chanters led me to buy 3 of his CDs that I was terribly disappointed with. Atlantic Bridge did have 2 good cuts on it, though. The other 2, I gave away.

I am cautious about buying his material and would want to hear/play his product before exchanging any money and his name on the product isn't worth the extra money IMHO. It's the sound, stupid!
amar

Post by amar »

I don't know....why do you describe the spillane sound as "stupid"? I mean, it may not be your cup of tea...that's fine, but "stupid"? Or might I have missunderstood your post?
check out the cd "the storm" by his then group called "moving hearts". A classic...an absolute classic..

http://www.taramusic.com/sleevenotes/cd3014.htm
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Just a phrase, Amar, not a pejorative on the builder. During Clinton's election run, the phrase (to remind him to stay on point in speeches) was "It's the economy, stupid."

Nevertheless, I would like to pound a mopane stake through the heart of this DS thread stuff....sigh.....
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
amar

Post by amar »

The Weekenders wrote:Just a phrase, Amar, not a pejorative on the builder. During Clinton's election run, the phrase (to remind him to stay on point in speeches) was "It's the economy, stupid."

Nevertheless, I would like to pound a mopane stake through the heart of this DS thread stuff....sigh.....
oh, ok, thanks for clarifying, I didn't know that phrase. Obviously. :)
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

amar wrote:I don't know....why do you describe the spillane sound as "stupid"? I mean, it may not be your cup of tea...that's fine, but "stupid"? Or might I have missunderstood your post?
You misunderstood. It's a ripoff of a campaign slogan by the ragin' cajun during the first Clinton campaign during that economic recovery, you remember, "It's the economy, stupid.
amar wrote:check out the cd "the storm" by his then group called "moving hearts". A classic...an absolute classic..
I have that one (and maybe another by Moving Hearts? Bad memory) and a couple of cuts on it I enjoy, but there is no way that I could consider that CD a classic.

Check out "Forgotten Days" for something you could more consider a classic. That is currently on my purchase list for Spillane merchandise.