Who makes a great Low F whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Squeeky Elf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Who makes a great Low F whistle?

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I'm initially finding mine to be loud and shrill with the a and b jumping out much more aggressively than the other notes. No doubt a more skilled player could minimize this, and I expect I'll learn to compensate as well, but just as a starting base, this is not what I was hoping for. Still it seems really well made and feels good in the hand, so I'm not giving up on it. I'm very much open to the idea that the problem is user error, especially as this whistle comes so highly recommended.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Squeeky Elf wrote:I'm initially finding mine to be loud and shrill with the a and b jumping out much more aggressively than the other notes.
I think that's pretty much true of all whistles, that High B is going to be the most "aggressive" note of the 2nd octave, perhaps of the whole Bottom D to High B gamut.

But overall the Killarney, and good old Generations and Feadogs, have a clean easy sweet 2nd octave. Usually, it seems to me, it's not a problem with High whistles, but an issue that is more pronounced on Low D whistles, where High B can be quite touchy, and sometimes considerably louder than the other notes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I think I might have just spoken too quickly. I've been taking a gentler approach with this whistle this morning and it's working out much better. Probably hopping back and forth between this whistle and the f whistle wasn't helping things either.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
Konradamusic
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Konradamusic »

I've had a Goldie and currently a Kerry-Pro, made by Phil Hardy (chieftain). I think they are both great whistles but the Kerry Pro has a more mellow sound, which I prefer. So I would suggest either of those!