Scale G Major on a D whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Scale G Major on a D whistle?

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote: All things being equal, I generally prefer playing a Major key based on the 4th rather than the bellnote, ...
That's interesting. Out of everyone on this site, I'd suppose that you, playing as you do in recording sessions, etc., must be most conscious of the clarity and pitch of your sound. In my experience, the flat seventh produces a darker scale, but you say you prefer it. This isn't an attack - as the romans said, taste isn't debatable - but I'd like to understand the basis of your judgements. Can you elaborate?
I didn't take it that Richard meant playing tunes in a scale with a flattened seventh; I took it that he meant playing tunes in, for instance, G on a D whistle or D on an A whistle. And, in that respect, I think most people would agree with him. They're easier, for some reason, for a start.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Scale G Major on a D whistle?

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: it doesn't follow it always is or is always the preferred way
To be clear the word "always" didn't occur in my post.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle