Adri's Dream Review--OT

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

vomitbunny wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Oh, has anyone used Duponol on plastic instruments? Does it really work? I assume the Jet Dry solution is for wood instruments.

I use it on my wooden recorders, plastic recorders, and all whistles. It works fine, but probably no better than soap or Jet Dry. I buy the Duponol because it comes in a convenient little dropper bottle that I can carry around and use when necessary.
I use liquid soap. Even dishwashing liquid is better than nothing. I've found thick liquid hand soap applied with a tiny brush or palate knife is goo. Just paint a little in the windway.
I have tried Jet Dry a couple of times on my whistles (none wood) and I have found that liquid dish soap (Dawn) works much better for me. Maybe I haven't used the right concentration of Jet Dry...Anyway, I think the soap is cheaper anyway.
Mike
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: Adri's Dream Review--OT

Post by Walden »

talasiga wrote:
Walden wrote:......
double holes look like nostrils, and double holes just aren't necessary.
Do you breath thru your mouth?
My allergies have nothing to do with it, but I was referring to the attitude seen in certain instrument makers and purveyors
talasiga wrote:Double holes allow you to play the half note on notes that you can't cross finger.
One can halfhole without doubled holes.
Reasonable person
Walden
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

elendil wrote:Oh, has anyone used Duponol on plastic instruments? Does it really work? I assume the Jet Dry solution is for wood instruments.

I've used Jet Dry on metal or Delrin whistles too. It seems to work fine.

I think Duponol is what they use in AntiCondens, a brand name anti-condener a lot of recorder pages seem to recommend. I'm really interested in getting it, since it can be had for about $3.00. I'm just too lazy to buy it, when Jet Dry works. ;)
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Are there any sound clips on-line of these things? I'm always curious about tone. Maybe this is off the topic, but, a friend of mine, who's a highly accomplished recorder player (and doesn't play whistle) told me it's a lot harder to jump up and down (switch) octaves as fast as you need to to play Irish music, so a whistle is better adapted to ITM. Any comments? Do you guys play ITM on the recorder? I can see slow airs would be cool.

Anyway, sound clips???
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
morgan

Post by morgan »

It is surprising to see this thread pop up after all this time. (I still read lots but don't post much. I have so little to say...)

Sorry, no sound clips. It's very typical of a renaissance recorder, though. Anything by Michaela Petri would sound similar.

We have discovered over the last year that the recorder is ever so slightly flat, noticeable more in the second octave. Sent it back for re-tuning. We shall see.

Yes, we use it for trad but not as a substitute for a whistle. More for slow things. My own impression is that it does not respond as fast as a whistle, but it is fully chromatic so it has its own advantages.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

TonyHiggins wrote:Are there any sound clips on-line of these things?
I thought there were some on Clips & Snips.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Okay, I checked C&S, and the alto and soprano Dream clips were linked from a Geocities site that seems to no longer be up, http://uk.geocities.com/GeoffW27/Thousand.html
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I like the look of those 'Dream flutes' too-I have thought about getting one for playing van Eyck,and similar stuff on.
I have read that the quality can be a bit variable,so the answer is probably to get several instruments on mail order approval,and pick out the best.
I did, however,get my hands on a beautiful Kung Sopranino in Pallisander wood last week -lovely grain in the wood,and a sweet,though characterful sound.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I dunno, I saw the subject line "Adri's Dream Review" and I was expecting something totally different.

"While utilizing some interesting narrative innovations, Adri's dream is a mostly incoherent mishmash of tastelessness and cliche. No effort has been made towards a discerable plot, or even consistent characters -- the mysterious figure under the bridge is obviously a key character, but why does she keep changing from Adri's mother to Michaela Petri to Tinky-Winky the Teletubbie? The subsequent chase scene through the streets of a city that might be either Prague or Trenton lends some excitement, though we're never sure if Adri is chasing someone or being chased herself, or if she's driving a car, flying, or riding a large green mouse. Worse, one suspects that Adri herslf isn't sure. The scene where Adri is naked in front of her third-grade class is a gratuitous attempt at titillation, and credibility is further strained when she hurls herself out the window into a yawning abyss. The ending of the dream in mid-fall is simply the oldest trick in the book. One is left with the overwhelming feeling that it must all mean something, given the heavy-handed (albeit trite) imagery and the undeniable urgency of the dream's tone, but all in all it's impossible to tell what exactly that meaning might be. One out of five stars."