Minor pentatonic tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: Minor pentatonic tunes

Post by talasiga »

benhall.1 wrote:
Mitch wrote:"Dirty Old Town" .. (damnit - I KNOW it's a song, not a tune .. but still nice to play on any whistle-ish instrument!)

It's ambiguous whether this tune is in the minor pentatonic or on some kind of strange lydian mode ..

Talasiga will confirm it is the Durga raag .. but the ambiguity probably breaks the rules ;)

The other (nearly) one is "Auld Lang syne". (Mr T alerted me to this one).
Well, Dirty Old Town is definitely not in any sort of Lydian. At a massive stretch, you could just about argue that it is in Aeolian. But it seems to me to be fairly clear that it's not in any sort of minor mode at all. If you wrote it out like so:

D3G | B8- | B2A>G B2G2 | D8 etc ... at that pitch, it's clearly in G. The ending is simply a good old-fashioned interrupted cadence onto the sixth degree of the major scale.

In other words, it's in a major pentatonic mode. In this case, G major. Auld Lang Syne is in the same pentatonic mode.
I don't know "Dirty Old Town" by name.
I totally agree with benhall.1 that Auld Lang Syne is in major pentatonic
notes being 1 2 3 5 6
or in semitone values 2 2 3 2 3

I don't know why Mitch is putting words in my mouth. If there is some post here that shows me saying that I'd like to know. There are two different Raag Durgas in Hindustani music, both pentatonic BUT only one of them is in a mode RELATIVE to the major pentatonic scale.

The major pent. series 1 2 3 5 6 has as its complement the minor pent. series 1 b3 4 5 b7
As far as I know Western Music Theory doesn't have EASY namnes fro referrring to the balance of 3 other modes relative to these.
Durga with the series 1 2 4 5 6 is IN one of these.
It is IN mode 4 of the major pentatonic scale (or, alternatively expressed: IN mode 2 of the minor pentatonic scale).
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

TR, if it's NAF tunes you are after, try this:
http://www.flutetree.com/songbook/conte ... index.html

I'm on my own quest - sedate, leisurely quest - to find ITM tunes that fit the Willowflute.
So far the best I've found are Peg Ryan's Polka and Valley of Silence.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

talisiga wrote:I don't know why Mitch is putting words in my mouth. If there is some post here that shows me saying that I'd like to know.
Note Mitch's use of the future tense:
Mitch wrote:Talasiga will confirm it is the Durga raag .. but the ambiguity probably breaks the rules ;)
Perhaps he just was hoping you'd back him up.
As it stands, I'm still not sure if you're refuting
his contention. I ... guess so?