F natural on a D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: F natural on a D whistle

Post by Tor »

That's right. The key of C has no flats or sharps, the key of D has two sharps (C# and F#), and the key of G has one sharp (F#). The key of G is easy to play on a D whistle because it's easy to play a natural C on a D whistle. C is more problematic because a natural F is a bit more difficult. I'm sure experienced players will be OK, but for myself I find that I can only play pieces in the key of C on a D whistle if they are very easy, slow pieces. For anything else I either switch to a C whistle, or I simply skip over the offending F.. :-)

-Tor
mwilson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by mwilson »

I've been affecting a pipe grip (EZ grip?) even though my excuse of switching to pipes doesn't look like happening soon -- now I'm just being cussed. Anyway, it gives me a quick way to do

xxx xvo

for Fnat. I only have to drop my right wrist, let my index finger bend to keep its hole closed, and let my middle finger pivot up to only shade the hole. Simple to do, not much fudging or hunting.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

@mwilson....that works coming up the scale...I don't think that it would work as easily coming down the scale...how do you do it?
mwilson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by mwilson »

Doesn't seem to be a problem. Basically just put the fingers down with the idea that the middle finger will be leaning against the whistle instead of coming down solidly on top. Mind, I'm not all that quick yet, so I may not tell the difference between a clumsy technique and my ordinary technique.