Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
p51baby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

Post by p51baby »

Jayhawk, you and I are both waiting for our whistles (though mine is heading to the West coast of Canada). I too got my confirmation on 1/06. Hope it comes in this week!

Cheers
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

So my Killarney came in today (yay!!!) and I'm very impressed with it! I took some pictures with my Sindt D (circa 2008)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115688747@N03/12181097024/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/115688747@N03/12181300336/

First thing I noticed is that my Sindt head is longer than the Killarney. Weight wise, I took them both to a scale and the Sindt is lighter at 62g and the Killarney at 70g. The little rivets on the Killarney is a nice add on and I will test it in a pub environment tomorrow (complete with rickety tables). The fipple where the brass meets the delrin is less smooth than the Sindt, but to me this is marginally noticeable when you're playing and only becomes an issue if you run your fingers over it.

My first impression is the sound on the Killarney is brighter, reminiscent of my Oak whistle (the feel of the holes and tube is very much the same). There's less mellowness in the Killarney than the Sindt, but I attribute this to the nickel body vs the brass. In the higher octaves the Killarney is a little shrill, but not unpleasantly shrill. Back pressure on my Sindt is higher than the Killarney but it's not really going to affect how much breath you're going to use. Ornamentations will roll very nicely on the Killarney. I think the Killarney might be a tad louder than my Sindt, but saying that I will find out how well it holds up in a session setting. Sindt get drowned out in my mid-large size session.

I would say the Sindt and Killarney are like two of the same types of wines (I like Rieslings) but made in different regions. You'll get lots of similarities but noticeable differences. Will report back tomorrow evening. Overall, I would say this is a very reasonable substitute to a Sindt without the wait list (for now....)

Cheers,

Melany
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

Maybe someone could try the Killarney head on a brass Feadog tube, if they're using stock Feadog tubes, as rumored. It might take some of the edge off the sound.
Christophe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Christophe »

I tried to swap tubes on mine, including brass feadog, nickel feadog, brass and nickel gens, and another feadog pro. Oddly enough, none of them could fit, even the other feadog pro tube was a tad too large. It seems the brass barrel is a tad too narrow, and this requires a bit of filing on the top of the tube in order to fit.

About the highest notes, I do find them a bit unpleasant sounding to my ears, although they may sound good to others. I wouldn't describe them as shrill, but they're not rounded, at least on mine. This eventually led me to sell it. As for high end whistles, I prefer my GMP which is more round sounding in the second octave. The killarney is a great whistle at a reasonable price though, but I'd certainly be more interested in a Bb version than in the D.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I've now tried mine several time in sessions and frankly it is no use whatever in competition to multiple other instruments/a lot of noise. The bottom octave is inaudible to the player and in trying to push it for maximum volume it goes way sharp in relation to the 2nd (not tunable, therefore - tune down to flatten the fundamental enough at maximum push and the 2nd 8ve is flat) and/or just squeaks. In fact, in playing it generally one has to be very careful to adjust breath pressure between the octaves - the bottom one really has to be eased off for. The differential is rather more than I'm used to and I think regular playing/habituation to it would help. The second octave is nicely audible and I still think it sounds very sweet well up into the 3rd - can't agree with those finding it harsh or shrill there (given that anything that high is by definition "shrill"). Each time I try it in a sesh I just give up and turn back to my trusty boxwood Swayne. However, I still think that for special uses - i.e. tunes/arrangements where one wants the 3rd 8ve and not so much the bottom, a Killarney would come into its own. And, as Orlaith's demo showed, played solo (and in a resonant acoustic!) where there's no need to push it, it has a gorgeous sound. I suspect (haven't tried) it would also work very nicely in a band context - with good foldback from the PA so the player can hear her/himself properly it would likely amplify beautifully and give that classic smooth, sweet, trad whistle sound. Ideal for playing slow airs in a cave......... cue cliché mist-swirling video.....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Ideal for playing slow airs in a cave......... cue cliché mist-swirling video.....
Does mist swirl much in caves? :-?
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Depends on the amount of hot air being spouted......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:Depends on the amount of hot air being spouted......
Ah. I see. I didn't realise you were in the cave at the time. That explains it.

:thumbsup:
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

What goes on in my personal cave stays in my personal cave. We've all got one of those, eh? :poke:

Anyway, I know there are rules against mixing metaphors, but SFAIK cliché cocktails are perfectly acceptable.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:What goes on in my personal cave stays in my personal cave. We've all got one of those, eh? :poke:
Wot? Me? How can you say that! :)
jemtheflute wrote:Anyway, I know there are rules against mixing metaphors, but SFAIK cliché cocktails are perfectly acceptable.
Oh, so it's a cocktail now, is it? One of these perhaps?

jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

That looks like the business. Quite menthalist.

Still, if you can't find a decent cave (pace the Mountain King), how's about under a bridge? Suitable acoustics and swirly mist definitely feasible. And of course, we know what else can be found under bridges, don't we? (He said gruffly......) :twisted:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hurray - my whistle arrived today! Tadgh at Killarney was great when I contacted him about a week ago saying the whistle had not arrived, he packed up and shipped out a second whistle, and one of the two arrived today (I assume it was the second one). Regardless, it's awesome...exactly what I wanted in a whistle. Put it through my whistle test - checking to see how it handles Dusty Windowsills, and it passed with flying colors. Also, mine had no issues with the head being stuck - definitely a tight fit, but easily tunable.

FWIW, I like the rivet...it does keep it from rolling off a table.

Eric
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Glad to hear you received your whistle and are enjoying it. :)
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

Another video of the whistle being played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r_LPKn_j0
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

ubizmo wrote:Another video of the whistle being played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r_LPKn_j0
Very nice. She seems to be a quite high-pressure/through-put player, driving the whistle.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums