Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Re: Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

Post by Thomaston »

I received mine today, arriving in Alabama only 8 days after placing the order. I was surprised as I got a confirmation email saying it would take about 3 weeks.
Anyway, I really like it. The maker must have listened to some of the comments here, since mine does not have protruding rivets and the tuning slide is not difficult to move at all.
It seems to me to be louder than my Bluebird, more comparable to my Mellow Dog in volume, and possibly a tiny bit louder than the Mellow Dog. I'll be able to judge that better once I've played it in a session. Air requirements are low and easy to hit the high B.
Overall, I like it more than most of the $200+ whistles I've played and owned.
My only (very small) complaint is that it's kinda top-heavy due to the brass and delrin mouthpiece.
Sirchronique
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Thomaston wrote:I received mine today, arriving in Alabama only 8 days after placing the order. I was surprised as I got a confirmation email saying it would take about 3 weeks.
Anyway, I really like it. The maker must have listened to some of the comments here, since mine does not have protruding rivets and the tuning slide is not difficult to move at all.
It seems to me to be louder than my Bluebird, more comparable to my Mellow Dog in volume, and possibly a tiny bit louder than the Mellow Dog. I'll be able to judge that better once I've played it in a session. Air requirements are low and easy to hit the high B.
Overall, I like it more than most of the $200+ whistles I've played and owned.
My only (very small) complaint is that it's kinda top-heavy due to the brass and delrin mouthpiece.

I don't think the tuning slide was an issue on all of them. I bought another one to gift to someone that was made around the same time as my initial one (the one with the extremely difficult to move tuning slide), and the second one I got was no problem. It was firm (as it should be), but didn't feel stuck or overly difficult to move. No problem at all on that one, despite being made around the same time as my initial one.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Just got mine today. Quick delivery! I am very harshly critical of high D whistles, and it's a rare occasion I can find one from a modern maker that I can tolerate, let alone actually like. That said, this is a good whistle. Maybe even a great whistle. I don't know how it blends with the rest of my band yet, but it's very, very pleasant, even at close range, but not muted, breathy or particularly quiet. I'd really recommend this whistle to serious players looking for a Generation style whistle who aren't already on Mr. Sindt's waiting list. Suffice to say, my search for high D whistles has come to an end. I have something that's in tune, reliable and pleasant to the ear. Time to get to know it!
joelmoeb

Post by joelmoeb »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Have somebody the same problem
No. Not at all.

The whistle wants to be blown gently. If you do that, it'll play in tune.
Right, thanks. It improve the tunning. I still have some problems with the low D, It need small aire pressure.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Tuning seems spot-on with mine, but when I tried a Feadog tube the tuning looked to be a lot more variable (based on playing a tune and watching the needle on the tuner, which I know isn't an exact science). I'm gonna take both tubes to session soon and see how they compare when played alongside other instruments. That slippery plating on the stock tube is driving me nuts!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thomaston wrote:That slippery plating on the stock tube is driving me nuts!
Another option:

Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Mr. Sandpaper is quite likely to be introduced to the back of Mr. Killarney Whistle in the near future in my household.

Or, maybe I'll try some rubber cement...a couple of small patches might help as well.

How does anyone else live with slippery tubes?
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Jayhawk wrote:
Mr. Sandpaper is quite likely to be introduced to the back of Mr. Killarney Whistle in the near future in my household.

Or, maybe I'll try some rubber cement...a couple of small patches might help as well.

How does anyone else live with slippery tubes?
I took sandpaper to my BlueBird tube, and it did help a lot but looks like crap. I have a dremel that I may try out and see if it gives better results.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

You're sanding the wrong thing, the tube, sand your fingers instead or use lotion on your hands before playing. :)
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LisaD »

Perhaps a small square of duct tape where your thumbs rest, for those who don't want to sand the tube ... ? Or maybe it will just take a little more adjustment time ... I had trouble with the slippery plating at first, but don't notice it any more.
trekkie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by trekkie »

Thomaston wrote:Tuning seems spot-on with mine, but when I tried a Feadog tube the tuning looked to be a lot more variable (based on playing a tune and watching the needle on the tuner, which I know isn't an exact science). I'm gonna take both tubes to session soon and see how they compare when played alongside other instruments. That slippery plating on the stock tube is driving me nuts!
Try using Corn Huskers Lotion on your hands before playing.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Or just play a brass tube....I find the nickel plating too slippery for sure...there may be some slight difference in sound but for me, it's not worth the uncomfortable playing.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

First make sure your hands and tube are clean, then just huff a bit of breath moisture onto both thumbs before picking up the whistle. Your thumbs should stick to the tube, and the sticky effect will persist as you keep your thumbs in position. I know people's hands and skin are different, but I've never had a problem with nickel plated tube slippage.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

I rec'd my eflat Killarney a few weeks ago pre-release as compensation for a problem with my order for the d. It has the same playing characteristics as the d folks have described in this thread. I find both whistles bright, with light air requirements and tuning and tone are sensitive to air pressure. Craftsmenship is excellent and it looks like the windway blade is cut on a CNC so quality should be very consistent. Volume in session environment was about the same as my session d Burke. To my ears anyway both are hard to hear in low octave. Long as I don't overblow they are very sweet, but they are easier to blow harsh than other whistles I own. I give em a B+. I am looking forward to settling in with them and they are already amoung my favorites.
I'm on it...
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I always wash my hands with Palmolive (or Palmolive with aloe, more recently, as I accidentally bought the wrong kind) before playing, and I have never had a problem with any whistle being too slippery. Maybe this has something to do with it? It makes my hands very dry and non oily, and I suspect oils are what makes it slippery. If not on the hands, then some on the whistle from another time you played it without washing hands right before.. I've noted the same with octave mandola strings, as I can not stand for strings to have any slipperiness on them (therefore I hate playing anyone else's stringed instruments), so I do the same thing with washing hands first, and they don't get slippery on mine. Clean off your whistle thoroughly then wash hands with Palmolive.

I also wonder if maybe there could be a tendency of people who dislike the slipperiness to brace the whistle in a different way to keep it steady, perhaps? My pinky goes down when I play top hand notes, and no slippage.. Who knows?