Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MadmanWithaWhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Re: Interesting (?) - Killarney Whistles/Órlaith McAuliffe demo

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

pancelticpiper wrote:
MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:Anyhow I have two great D's now! Both far superior in 2nd octave sweetness and agility to the Burke Session Bore I'd been playing.

Well, almost anything would be :boggle:
Yes indeed. But you know, I spent a lot of face time with that Burke Session Bore and I got used to its ways, and got to the point where I could play with fair agility up there.

But wow! When I got the Sindt, and then the Killarney, and played them a lot, then switched back to the Burke, the Burke felt clumsy and heavy especially around high A and B.

I still switch between the Sindt and the Killarney regularly, and at this point anyhow I would give a slight edge to the Sindt due to its stronger darker core. However the top of the 2nd octave is slightly more nimble on the Killarney, and as I've said the Killarney is a bit louder in the low range (but still very sweet in the high range).

It would be nice to have a brass Burke Narrow Bore to compare against these two, but I don't think I'm going to spend the $$$ to find out.
Having owned one, (and lost it in an apple orchard, long story), I can say the playing characteristics are more pleasing but the tone is still "eh" at best. I totally understand reliability with performing- getting used to new hardware is not a project to undertake on-stage. I've recently started a pub band that required me to get some additional keys of whistle, and it's been interesting getting to know them, if somewhat stressful.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
I totally understand reliability with performing- getting used to new hardware is not a project to undertake on-stage. I've recently started a pub band that required me to get some additional keys of whistle, and it's been interesting getting to know them, if somewhat stressful.
Which is one of the major advantages of Burkes, and why so many 'legit' (non-trad) pro woodwind doublers have a roll with Burkes in every key: there's amazing homogeneity between the various sizes, and when in the studio or on stage you can just grab any key and know it will play like all the rest.

I was moving towards that but now strangely I'm moving in the opposite direction, with Sindts for mezzo A and Bb and high D, and my low range in a hot mess with a Reyburn maplehead Low C, MK Low D, Burke Low Eb, Overton Low E, Burke Low F, and Susato Low F#/Gb (rarely used).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
olly498

Post by olly498 »

MTGuru wrote:The same head with an Eb tube, I'd guess. Has anyone tried fitting a Generation Eb body yet?
I'm not sure if this has been answered already but I got my Killarney in D the other day, and although it's a little loose, I much prefer it with the Eb Generation tube :)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

olly498 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:although it's a little loose, I much prefer it with the Eb Generation tube :)
Then a bit of Teflon (PTFE) tape ought to set that right for you. :thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
olly498

Post by olly498 »

MTGuru wrote:
olly498 wrote:
MTGuru wrote:although it's a little loose, I much prefer it with the Eb Generation tube :)
Then a bit of Teflon (PTFE) tape ought to set that right for you. :thumbsup:
Ah of course! Thanks a bunch, I'll grab some tomorrow :)