Which is easier to play, Concertina or Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

I also have carpal tunnel, and I find the whistle to be pretty easy on the hands, compared to my other two instruments, fiddle and pipes.

Sometimes if I am having hand trouble, I just go back to playing whistle, while pipes and especially fiddle thrashes my wrists.

J.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Dwight wrote:Thank you Mary and Sarah,
I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. My music research budget is shot for this month, so I will have plenty of time to read up on them before buying anything. I have an old friend who plays them and this will give me an excuse to call her up.

Dwight
And, BTW, if you want further inspiration, just listen to a few of Joemy Wilson's HD CD's ~ They are beautiful!
Mary
Caj

Post by Caj »

DanTheWhistleMan wrote:So is there a reason besides the holy tradition for players of irish music to stick to anglo?

I think there's more to it than image or circumstances. The layout of a folk instrument often encourages a certain sound and a certain style. The push-pull of an anglo makes the music sound poppy and punchy.

The English conc. is a general-purpose musical instrument, meaning it can play arbitrary melodies in any key, like a piano. The anglo and button accordion have certain natural limitations, but those limitations also force the music to have a certain personality. On a piano accordion, personality is possible but optional.

Caj
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Caj wrote:
DanTheWhistleMan wrote:So is there a reason besides the holy tradition for players of irish music to stick to anglo?

I think there's more to it than image or circumstances. The layout of a folk instrument often encourages a certain sound and a certain style. The push-pull of an anglo makes the music sound poppy and punchy.

The English conc. is a general-purpose musical instrument, meaning it can play arbitrary melodies in any key, like a piano. The anglo and button accordion have certain natural limitations, but those limitations also force the music to have a certain personality. On a piano accordion, personality is possible but optional.

Caj
so the anglo concertina is related to the whistle
while the english concertina is related to the re****er :lol: