E whistle??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: E whistle??

Post by Emrys »

My Burke low E (composite material) is one of my most beautiful sounding whistles. And Humprey made me a great high E.
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I have to Es, both Burkes. One aluminum and one composite. Reviol makes a nice E as well.

Billy Miller makes a nice E bamboo flute and Dave Copley makes a delrin or wooden E flute as well.

I love B and E.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

That's oddly nice to hear you say that you love B and E. I've always had an irrational dislike of those two keys, in the major. Can't imagine why. they just seem wrong to me.
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

syn whistles wrote:.......
There seems there is a story doing the rounds that certain sessions in Eire have switched to Eb in an attempt to keep out interlopers who turn up with D's. An urban myth?
I cannot give an answer to this one Erle.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Emrys wrote:That's oddly nice to hear you say that you love B and E. I've always had an irrational dislike of those two keys, in the major. Can't imagine why. they just seem wrong to me.
Composers seem to like them, and I've used my B and E whistles at quite a few studio gigs.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

I've just made a B whistle (good for playing in E) and I love it - I'll get a Bb body and possibly an A body made for it soon

I have a high E whistle (shares a head with my D whistles - it is nice but so far have not had much call to play it (also have C and Eb bodies - D, Eb, E work best the C is fine but different, probably needs a larger ID for my tastes)

I have not got as low as low E yet - well I did make a low D but it needs work, well really redesigning... soon!
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

highwood wrote:I've just made a B whistle (good for playing in E) and I love it - I'll get a Bb body and possibly an A body made for it soon

I have a high E whistle (shares a head with my D whistles - it is nice but so far have not had much call to play it (also have C and Eb bodies - D, Eb, E work best the C is fine but different, probably needs a larger ID for my tastes)

I have not got as low as low E yet - well I did make a low D but it needs work, well really redesigning... soon!
I have thought about a low E myself. It would have closer hole spacing than a D and for many tunes in D or G the fingering would not be too difficult. Although I am intrigued by the new Kerry low D. If it addresses the issues it claims to then I might buy one when they become available.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

I had a thought at lunchtime ... if I can take a "C" whistle and convert it to a "D" simply by enlarging one hole and drilling a second, wouldn't the same work for a "D" to an "E" ? ... can't see any reason why not !

Enlarge the original "G" hole to G# and drill a fresh D# hole at the top of the tube ... voila :)

Sweetone in E anyone?

The tune "Star of the County Down" (at least the version I've got) doesn't use C# or F# when played on a D whistle, so, with a D whistle in hand, move all your fingers "up a hole", leaving the bottom one clear and having LH1 on bare metal, an try it again ... behold, the same tune, but up two semi-tones ... it'll give you an idea of how the whistle would sound as an "E" before taking a drill and file to it.

Might be useful to someone :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

... it's good to know I'm not the only nutter around here :lol:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

If you are not a bit mad before you start playing the whistle you are sure to be afterwards.