Beginner a little frustrated

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

new category?

Post by stiofan »

hmmm...maybe we need a category like this... :lol:

http://www.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/perso ... =rnr&SID=0

craigslist > rants and raves > warning & disclaimer

RANTS AND RAVES
unless all of the following 4 points are true, please use your "back" button to exit this part of craigslist:

1. I am at least 18 years old.
2. I understand rants and raves may include patently offensive content.
3. I am not bothered by patently offensive content.
4. By clicking on the rants and raves link below, I will have released and discharged the providers, owners and creators of this site from any and all liability which may arise from my use of the site.

:boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle: :roll: :boggle:

Post by Guest »

Whoa there now! I don't know Peter that well that I am qualified to comment, but this I do know.

Peter Laban is so highly respected today by many people in the Irtrad world that it barely needs mention. Mr st.claire - however talented he may be - is not. So for him to be heckling Peter here of all places is just plain stupid.
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

norseman wrote: Since I first posted, I played some more on the Oak and I think I've found the problem. I was tightening up some to speed up the airstream for the higher notes. That worked OK on the other whistles, but not the Oak. I tried relaxing my lips and throat when going to the second octave, and it worked! I still need to work on controlling it since I'm not very consistent yet, but I think I'm on the right track. When I got the notes right, they seem louder and more penetrating, and I can feel the whistle vibrating a little on some of the notes.

Bob

Bob, if you're still reading this thread, I think what you discovered is supporting the airstream with your diaphragm. This is essential for playing a wind instrument. Here is how it was taught to me way back when:

Stand up and place your hand on your stomach, just below the ribs, on your belly. Inhale and feel your stomach press against your hand. Then exhale in a controlled way (or blow into your whistle) while still pressing your stomach against your hand. It's tricky at first, as most people exhale by collapsing the stomach inwards. But when playing into an instrument, it makes things ten times better to support with the diaphragm. I think this is what your discovered when you "opened up" your throat. It's easier to do this standing, so you might find it helpful to play standing up for a while.

Robin
Hiro Ringo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Peter Laban wrote:
>it needs grounding and continuity..

I usually dont take notice of my Japanese traditional music because its not fun at all and even when they try to do somthing new with their tradition,(to me)they are going to be just different by trying to be different. I dont feel it superior,inspiring and developmental. Like this,I dont take notice of your ITM much because most of them(some of them I feel very superior and inspiring thats why I am here though) are not fun.

But I once suddenly realized they were supporting my heart just because they had grounding and their continuity not because they were superior and inspiring. They didnt even need to be superior and inspiring to support my heart,for me to live on(I hope they are superior and inspiring thuogh!).

Yes,I admit I was a child.Now at last I am superior.......child. :lol:

>[edited after Bloomfield did a grammar check and then again for a few small bits][/quote]

Darn! You have such a supporter there! :o

>it's his constant shouting at us how great he is that invited the response it got.

Yeah,I know what you are saying. And he doesnt think like the way you think(and this can hardly change). I would presume. I dont want to be involved in this routine because its waste of time to me. I just responded off topic to the part of what you said drew my interest. I couldnt help it! 'grounding and continuity'.They are the true value of any tradition I believe.
Last edited by Hiro Ringo on Sat May 01, 2004 4:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

toasty wrote:. So for him to be heckling Peter here of all places is just plain stupid.
This is not about carrying weight or having support or being professional or experienced or not. I think we should appreciate Talbert and anyone else for any useful information and insights posted on the forums. It's not Talbert or his music we are mocking here, it's his constant shouting at us how great he is that invited the response it got. The moment I would get all pompous, pulling rank and all that, I would expect it to have the mickey taken and I would know I deserved it too.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I'm still wondering why some of Talbert's posts are written in perfect english, with no CAPS and all, and most arent. Am I wrong?
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

:D :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
emmline

Post by emmline »

Azalin wrote:I'm still wondering why some of Talbert's posts are written in perfect english, with no CAPS and all, and most arent. Am I wrong?
Wrong? no.
An agitator? possibly.

Perhaps posting style varies with the mood of the poster. Feeling effusive? Writing style gets gushier, grammar adherence loosens up.

More cerebral, mellow mode? Calmer, more clearly considered style.

Just one possible explanation.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ooooooh.....

"Effusive".

Marry me, emmline. :lol:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:Ooooooh.....

"Effusive".

Marry me, emmline. :lol:
Okey dokey. First, make sure polygamy's ok in MD and MN, then check with this guy: (reachable at clementhardware.com--my hunch is he'll be ok with it provided you cook! :wink: )
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Aw, the heck with it. How can I compete with that?