Whistle tour: The Oz Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hello all,

I've been on planet Folk-festival (Woodford) for the last 2 weeks - difficult to PM from such places.

Here's some tour updates:

Non-tunable tour
Old #7 has only one more stop with Carey. After that it's to be raffled for a good cause (yet to be determined).

Tunable tour
#7804 delrin/sterling is currently residing with MTGuru
Aanvil will post his observations in the goodness of time.
There has been some slight jumblement of the schedule owing to the close location of Aanvil, MTGuru and Steamwalker - Izzarina will get to call if it goes to her before Steamwalker.

Tour schedule from there is:
Izzarina/Steamwalker
Tommy
Dyersituations
Carey
gregdidge
sweet potato
Wanderer

European tour
A blackwood/sterling has been sent to replace the gidgee/phosphor in that tour and should reach Simon soon. leaving:
Theo
jemtheflute
breqwas
PJUULDK

A belated happy new year to all!!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
breqwas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by breqwas »

BTW. That blackwood&sterling will be not the first Oz whistle to visit Russia. I was really surprised to know, but we already have one at our session. :)

This is an untunable high-D of some red or brown wood. Now it belongs to Alexander Karavaev, piper and low-whistler from Moscow, but that was not him who brought it here. It comes from Paddy Keenan's set (yes, Paddy Keenan of Bothy Band plays these untunable Oz'es - or at least played them when he was in Moscow).

Paddy gave it to Alexander as a gift of gratitude for organizing a concert here. Paddy was really impressed with the fact that there're lots of people here in Russia who know Bothy Band, and that there're lots of people who play the music of his motherland :)

Here is Paddy playing another Oz from that set, a low one: http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=qKcGSmb0smQ

I'll ask Alexander to write a review of that high-D :)
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

After watching Tony Hinnigan going bananas about the whistle. I'd like to join the Euro tour and try it, considering the whistle will pass Denmark anyway when it gets to PJUULDK.

Pm me if there is still room. :)
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Non-tuneable has landed

Post by Carey »

Hi Mitch (and all who are waiting for the auction to begin),

The non-tuneable high D has just today arrived in sunny Florida. I'll hang on to it for a week or so and take it to a small session and a Ceili in that time.

Cheers,

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Hello All,
I am pleased to say I just ordered the tunable high D in blackwood and silver. Of course, I will be happy to write a review on that happy day when the Vambrace arrives. Cheers, Cyril.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

breqwas wrote: ...
Here is Paddy playing another Oz from that set, a low one: http://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=qKcGSmb0smQ

I'll ask Alexander to write a review of that high-D :)
Amazing how these things get around!

I wish I could claim the whistle Paddy is playing in the clip - but that one is in fact a Grinter F that Mike made for him early last year. Paddy says he doesn't play "the little whistles" very often.

I'll get round to the big ones in good time ;)
(Mr Grinter sets a very high benchmark :boggle: ).
All the best!

mitch
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Oh, seems I was wrong.
Anyway, that small one couldn't be anything but Oz.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I read somewhere in this thread, I believe, that the Vambrace model has a rather large bore. Has anyone compared the bore to other whistles. Thanks, Cyril.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

CranberryDog wrote:I believe, that the Vambrace model has a rather large bore.
I did not get to play the Vambrace, so take this info with a grain of salt. I did play "old no 7", the rose alder tour whistle discussed in the beginning of this thread. I measured the bore on that one at about a half inch in diameter. That's a common bore dimension for a session D whistle. Unless Mitch re-tooled after No. 7, I would guess them to be similar.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Feadoggie wrote:
CranberryDog wrote:I believe, that the Vambrace model has a rather large bore.
I did not get to play the Vambrace, so take this info with a grain of salt. I did play "old no 7", the rose alder tour whistle discussed in the beginning of this thread. I measured the bore on that one at about a half inch in diameter. That's a common bore dimension for a session D whistle. Unless Mitch re-tooled after No. 7, I would guess them to be similar.

Feadoggie
That makes sense. Thanks Feadoggie. Cyril.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I have the US tunable tour whistle at the moment, I should be sending it off to Izzarina next week.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Am I too late to sign up for this tour?
Last edited by fancypiper on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

fancypiper wrote:Am I too late to sign up for this tour?
Not too late. (you might want to remove your details from the board - avoid spam and all that)

Here's the running list now:

Steamwalker
Izzarina
Tommy
Dyersituations
Carey
gregdidge
sweet potato
Wanderer
Fancypiper

Feadoggie wrote:
CranberryDog wrote:
I believe, that the Vambrace model has a rather large bore.

Feadoggie
I did re-tool a little bit - I now have a much better gundrill. It cuts the same bore, only better and more consistently.

I'll be launching Soprano Eb and C, Alto Bb and A and low-F at the Australian National festival in Canberra this Easter.

The current batch is progressing well. half of them will be delivered during this coming week - the other half will be a few days later - after the Cobargo festival next weekend. Cobargo is in the south coast of NSW - a nice small fest - I like these, they don't make me any money, but the cultural value of them is beyond calculation. The fest manages to get a good line-up of local and international artists, plus the session goes until late and is well worth attending.

The February batch is on schedule for delivery before Easter.

After Easter, I hope to get onto some other inovations that have been "in the pipe" for a while now. I'm looking forward to that!
All the best!

mitch
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Mitch wrote:
fancypiper wrote:Am I too late to sign up for this tour?
Not too late. (you might want to remove your details from the board - avoid spam and all that)
I use a pretty good spam filter as I get lots of it. I have been on the internet since 1994, IIRC, so I am used to it.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Whistle on its way to Izzarina!