Geek oracle: Moving XP to new system by swapping C: drive?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Geek oracle: Moving XP to new system by swapping C: drive?

Post by s1m0n »

Does anyone know if this is viable? I have a new system, but i don't want to have to reload and reinstall everything. Can I simply install the old C: drive as the master drive in another system (updating drivers where necessary) and carry on, or will XP decide that I need a new license and lock me out?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mukade

Re: Geek oracle: Moving XP to new system by swapping C: drive?

Post by mukade »

There are probably ways around the Windows verification, but in most case it will probably say no.
The verification tool can handle small hardware changes, but too many at once and it will refuse.
I have heard it especially doesn't like motherboard changes.

I always go for a fresh hard drive and OEM OS for a new PC build and use my old hard drive as a backup.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I swapped the motherboard and Windows recognised it a s a new system which needed a renewal of my XP validation. I was not locked out, and could do the validation online, which was fast and hasslefree.

PS: I did make a fresh clean install of XP.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi s1m0n

Did the system come installed with XP?, if so the the license is tied to the machine and dies with it, if it was a copy you bought, then you can transfer the license to a new m/c. (XP checks things like the processor/motherboard/video card etc to see if it is the same machine it was originally installed on. You will likely need to contact Microsoft Support though.)

Why not just go with Vista and save yourself the hassle and use the hard drive as a second one in your new system.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Darn. That's what I feared.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

s1m0n

There is a possible way round the problem, if you don't mind upgrading to Vista.

If you have enough space on your hard disk to create a partition large enough to take Vista

When the system is built, put the upgrade disk into the machine and start it up.

Select custom installation and set up a dual boot system.

The data in your old system will then be available to Vista.

Personally I would go with mukade's suggestion.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

BigDavy wrote:Hi s1m0n

Did the system come installed with XP?, if so the the license is tied to the machine and dies with it, if it was a copy you bought, then you can transfer the license to a new m/c. (XP checks things like the processor/motherboard/video card etc to see if it is the same machine it was originally installed on. You will likely need to contact Microsoft Support though.)

Why not just go with Vista and save yourself the hassle and use the hard drive as a second one in your new system.
My experience does not bear this out.
My original XP came with the system, i had no CD, the license key was on a MS sticker on the box. I made a CD from the i386 folder found in the root (not the one in the Windows folder). I was able to keep being licensed even with substantial rebuilding:
New motherboard, new videocard, new harddisk, new CD writer, new monitor. There is little left in the box which was there originally, in fact the box is swapped as well! So i would not be so sure what "tied to the machine" means or that XP cannot be used in a substantially modified system.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

hans wrote: My experience does not bear this out....
I have an XP install disk that doesn't need to be verified on line, and it's possible to slipstream the SP2 and SP3 updates, but doing so is a bit of a drag, and if it was easily avoided, I'd prefer to avoid it. Oh well. Let's hope the new system is finally fast enough to install XP without taking all day.

C.S. Lewis
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Early review of the next version of Windows have been pretty good. At work, where we have a buzzallion computers, we haven't moved to Vista. Decided to skip over it and wait for Win 7.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Dale wrote:Early review of the next version of Windows have been pretty good. At work, where we have a buzzallion computers, we haven't moved to Vista. Decided to skip over it and wait for Win 7.
The some IT departments at the University of MN seem to be avoiding Vista as well. Vista seems like it is going to be like NT and Win2000.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'm a determined 'late adopter', too. I don't upgrade until programs I use stop working, or a new program I want can't do without it. Why bother getting a fast computer just to load it up with an OS that runs slow?

C.S. Lewis
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Vista's a virus, not an upgrade.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Hi. I manage over a hundred desktops at a small factory here in Dayton. Allow me to weigh in on this topic.

The answer is: probably.

You can take an HD with XP on it from one computer to the next, as long as the chipsets are similar enough for the disk access. For example, I commonly take a hard drive with XP Pro from an old Compaq Deskpro into a Dell Optiplex GX270, even a GX150. The Genuine Windows thing has not shut down a single copy of XP, yet. It also hasn't stopped me from downloading and installing updates from Microsoft.

My advice, though, is to clone the old disk to a new disk, then try to boot with that one. Just in case something messes up. Have a CD ready with the drivers for the new computer. The first time XP boots up on the new PC, it will start detecting things. It goes faster if you have a CD with the drivers on it for it to search.

Addendum: My company is skipping Vista and Windows 7. We have ZERO business reason to switch. We are still running Office 2000. Why? Because it still works. We do not suffer from upgraditis. That way leads to the dark side.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Dale wrote:Early review of the next version of Windows have been pretty good. At work, where we have a buzzallion computers, we haven't moved to Vista. Decided to skip over it and wait for Win 7.
The some IT departments at the University of MN seem to be avoiding Vista as well. Vista seems like it is going to be like NT and Win2000.
Eh...a better comparison would be that Vista is like Windows ME. Windows NT and 2000 were nice, stable OSes and my previous company made great use of them both.
Chad Wilson

caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Regarding the licensing previously mentioned...

Many OEMs included an OEM-Licensed XP for the machine. This level of license was cheap, and it meant that the license was "tied" to that one machine, as was supposed to die with it. It is strictly a paper difference, the OS doesn't know the difference.

The next level license was a general license. You bought a copy of XP and could install it on any PC you wished, or to a new PC if that old once died.

From there it was site licenses and such.
Chad Wilson