9,000 US soldiers killed so far in Iraq?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

jGilder wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:So, should I do what you did to IRTrad4U and haunt you on multiple threads until you answer this?
TradR made a statement that Amnesty International was hypocritical. I asked him to explain why and provide evidence and documentation. This is very different from answering a question about what should be done concerning US military recruiters who lie use bait & switch tactics to fool people into signing up.
No it isn't. It's someone hounding someone else to answer a question. Subject matter is irrelevent.
NicoMoreno wrote:Go ahead, repeat it. You asked me if I was joking when I summarized what I thought your conclusion was.
My answer was actually in response to something you said.
jGilder wrote:...perhaps the whole thing should be investigated and the recruiter should be held accountable. ... I think justice would be served if the recruiter was tried by an independent court, and if found guilty, the boys application declared null and void and he be allowed to return home.
Ok, so you think that this recruiter should be tried in an independent court.

Do you also agree that this logic could be extended to all recruits? Because this means that any recruit who says he has been lied to should be able to cause his recruiter to go on trial. Is this your opinion on what should happen?

What if in every single case, the independent trials found the recruiters to be innocent? (This is a "worse-case" scenario) This means that essentially every trial changed nothing. Do you think that this is a valuable use of taxpayer money?

Is there some other (cheaper) way of accomplishing the same thing? Maybe of weeding out the ones who just say they were lied to but have no proof? What happens if someone was lied to, but in fact had no proof? Is it fair that they get stuck staying in the military, while someone else goes free?

And let's say that a recruit went in and right away found out he had been lied to. But then, instead of starting the review process (or trial), he went ahead and got an education. At taxpayer expense. Then he left the military. Should he be allowed to leave without paying for his education?
jGilder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jGilder »

NicoMoreno wrote:
jGilder wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:So, should I do what you did to IRTrad4U and haunt you on multiple threads until you answer this?
TradR made a statement that Amnesty International was hypocritical. I asked him to explain why and provide evidence and documentation. This is very different from answering a question about what should be done concerning US military recruiters who lie use bait & switch tactics to fool people into signing up.
No it isn't. It's someone hounding someone else to answer a question. Subject matter is irrelevent.
TradR has been very rude in his assaults for the material I present, my sources, and my opinions. He has been pompous and arrogant to the point of nausea. He painted himself into a corner with his ridiculous statement about AI being hypocritical and I had a bit of fun with it. I think after the abuse he has leveled at me since I came to this message board I deserve at least that. I’m hoping TradR might be eating a bit of humble pie and he’ll return and be a bit more reasonable and less obtuse – but I’m not holding my breath.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

jGilder wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote:
jGilder wrote: TradR made a statement that Amnesty International was hypocritical. I asked him to explain why and provide evidence and documentation. This is very different from answering a question about what should be done concerning US military recruiters who lie use bait & switch tactics to fool people into signing up.
TradR has been very rude in his assaults for the material I present, my sources, and my opinions. He has been pompous and arrogant to the point of nausea. He painted himself into a corner with his ridiculous statement about AI being hypocritical and I had a bit of fun with it. I think after the abuse he has leveled at me since I came to this message board I deserve at least that. I’m hoping TradR might be eating a bit of humble pie and he’ll return and be a bit more reasonable and less obtuse – but I’m not holding my breath.
Sure, he has been rude to you. Does that give you the right to do the same? If you say, yes, well, don't bother claiming to be one for civil discourse, because unless you rise above it, you aren't any better.

Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

NicoMoreno wrote:Ok, so you think that this recruiter should be tried in an independent court.

Do you also agree that this logic could be extended to all recruits? Because this means that any recruit who says he has been lied to should be able to cause his recruiter to go on trial. Is this your opinion on what should happen?
Yes, I think that when it's a life and death issue like signing your life over to the military that the recruiters must be held accountable if they use fraudulent tactics. If this was properly pursued then we wouldn't see people being fooled into enlisting.
NicoMoreno wrote:What if in every single case, the independent trials found the recruiters to be innocent? (This is a "worse-case" scenario) This means that essentially every trial changed nothing. Do you think that this is a valuable use of taxpayer money?
If they found that out, or if it was proven that they lied -- either way, it's an exellent use of taxpayer money. How you feel about it might reflect the value you place on human lives. Many expenses are justified when a human life hangs in the balance -- why wouldn't it here as well?
NicoMoreno wrote:Is there some other (cheaper) way of accomplishing the same thing? Maybe of weeding out the ones who just say they were lied to but have no proof? What happens if someone was lied to, but in fact had no proof? Is it fair that they get stuck staying in the military, while someone else goes free?

I would hope that an independent entity would investigate these cases before they came to trial. But if the military investigates itself -- we already know how that always washes.
NicoMoreno wrote:And let's say that a recruit went in and right away found out he had been lied to. But then, instead of starting the review process (or trial), he went ahead and got an education. At taxpayer expense. Then he left the military. Should he be allowed to leave without paying for his education?
It would have to be reviewed and decided case by case I suppose. But to claim that the process would be too bothersome or costly would cheapen the value that the US military places on human life. I certainly wouldn't trust the military with mine given their track record.
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

NicoMoreno wrote:Sure, he has been rude to you. Does that give you the right to do the same? If you say, yes, well, don't bother claiming to be one for civil discourse, because unless you rise above it, you aren't any better.

Anyway, I'm sorry I brought it up.
Teasing him about getting his homework done is a far cry from the kind of abuse I was getting. I don't know if I was "rising above it," but I was having a little fun all for a good laugh. I think TradR could even see that.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

And the paranoia goes untreated.

Shame.
IRTradRU?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I was in on that bit of banter and I never considered myself - or the Commie Gilder - paranoid.
Gilder asked for a reasoned argument concerning your opinion of AmnestyInternational...that's all.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

IRTradRU? wrote:And the paranoia goes untreated.

Shame.
Ah... there he is. How's the homework coming TradR?
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

See what I mean?

Untreated.

:(

Tsk.
IRTradRU?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I'd settle for Trads definition of Paranoid :-?

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

IRTradRU? wrote:See what I mean?

Untreated.

:(

Tsk.
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot." - Groucho Marx
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Gilder asked for a reasoned argument concerning your opinion of AmnestyInternational...that's all.
I think at this point it's safe to assume that IR can't back up his opinions, and let the matter drop.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote:
I think at this point it's safe to assume that IR can't back up his opinions, and let the matter drop.
Agreed.Time to move on...

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

s1m0n wrote:
Yea, I suppose you're right.
Denny

Post by Denny »

jGilder wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
Yea, I suppose you're right.
IR quick, blame it on the dog!