No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: No TV for a week? AAARRRRGHHHH!

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I didn't realise you were Italian, but I'm flattered by the mistaken inclusion.
Non so. Mind you, it sometimes seems that most Italians these days would rather be something else - Irish, probably.

But it's a pretty good rejoinder of yours. There's me trying to be mean, and you've gone and cut the ground from under me. Dash it all! :evil:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Well, I have to admit that the opportunity came to me steaming on a silver platter and with an apple in its mouth. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, I have to admit that the opportunity came to me steaming on a silver platter with an apple in its mouth. :)
Hmmm ... too true, I fear. :oops:

[Now, Ben. Write out 500 times "I must be more careful in my insults. I must be more careful in my insults." <<grind>>]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Odd...I didn't even take it as an insult, but as an uncomfortably pointed reminder of the historic and racial issues many of us don't think about that are inherent in celebrating such a day. And so, to deflect any further political awkwardness, I tried to make light with a redirective reply.

I'm afraid that on that last count my success was less than I might have wished.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, it wasn't a bad insult. It was meant lovingly, ya know. :)

Mind, go into the history of Europe at the time, and what Columbus was really up to, and the various points of view involved, plus subsequent history/politics/whatever, and you'd need a sight more than a can to keep the worms in. :o
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Very true indeed. Maybe I'll be able to watch timely documentaries about it on my spiffy new TV tomorrow.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

You've got me thinking about Columbus now. I think I'd better stop before I get over-excited ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:You've got me thinking about Columbus now. I think I'd better stop before I get over-excited ...
Jeez. Here I think I've got you all figured out, and then you get yourself aroused by the oddest things ever.
Brus

Post by Brus »

Columbus ... Columbus ... wasn't he the guy who discovered Ohio? Or was that Grover Cleveland? I always confused the two ...
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Brus wrote:Columbus ... Columbus ... wasn't he the guy who discovered Ohio?
It's a shuttlecraft in the Star Trek series.

Which I could be watching, I might add. :evil:
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:Well, it wasn't a bad insult. It was meant lovingly, ya know. :)

Mind, go into the history of Europe at the time, and what Columbus was really up to, and the various points of view involved, plus subsequent history/politics/whatever, and you'd need a sight more than a can to keep the worms in. :o
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day
Happy Bartolomé Day!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Well, it wasn't a bad insult. It was meant lovingly, ya know. :)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/columbus_day
Happy Bartolomé Day!
Thanks Kevin. That's some of it. There's plenty more which happened over this side of the Atlantic to go with that. So I'll second ...

Happy Bartolomé Day!
:party:

PS I wonder if it'll be covered on telly? :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:PS I wonder if it'll be covered on telly? :wink:
Neither one nor the other, apparently. At least not on my channels today, anyway. Not so much as a peep. Nope. Nada. Zilchola. Just business as usual.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:But it's a pretty good rejoinder of yours.
BTW, that's a direct result of my studying the awesome Gracie Allen, IMO probably the unequaled comedic master of the dark arts of conversational jujutsu. See, the Tube is good for something.