Four degrees of warming 'likely'

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Four degrees of warming 'likely'

Post by Lorenzo »

Climate change (warming) causes global changes (cooling). It's a vicious circle.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Lorenzo wrote:Climate change (warming) causes global changes (cooling). It's a vicious circle.
I should like to congratulate you for managing to pack so much outright incomprehensibility into such a short post. Genius. :boggle:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
chris_coreline
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by chris_coreline »

Glabal Warming is the cause of Climate Change which is the effect, this may lead to The Sixth Ice Age which is the outcome.

im pritty sure thats correct, i hope its clear.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Nope, I'm no nearer... :boggle:

Denny

Post by Denny »

SteveShaw wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:Climate change (warming) causes global changes (cooling). It's a vicious circle.
I should like to congratulate you for managing to pack so much outright incomprehensibility into such a short post. Genius. :boggle:
well, I've done better :really:

still it is rather nice, innit!
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

A virtuous circle, shurely.

But don't you mean '...causes local changes (cooling)' ?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Must be the drinking bird model.

The drinking bird is a heat engine that exploits a temperature differential to convert heat energy to a pressure differential within the device, and perform mechanical work. Like all heat engines, the drinking bird works through a thermodynamic cycle. The initial state of the system is a bird with a wet head oriented vertically with an initial oscillation on its pivot.

The process operates as follows[1]:

1. The water evaporates from the felt on the head.
2. Evaporation lowers the temperature of the glass head (heat of vaporization).
3. The temperature's drop causes some of the dichloromethane vapor in the head to condense.
4. The lower temperature and condensation together cause the pressure to drop in the head (ideal gas law).
5. The pressure differential between the head and base causes the liquid to be pushed up from the base.
6. As liquid flows into the head, the bird becomes top heavy and tips over during its oscillations.
7. When the bird tips over, the bottom end of the neck tube rises above the surface of the liquid.
8. A bubble of vapor rises up the tube through this gap, displacing liquid as it goes.
9. Liquid flows back to the bottom bulb (the toy is so designed that when it has tipped over the neck's tilt allows this), and vapor pressure equalizes between the top and bottom bulbs
10. The weight of the liquid in the bottom bulb restores the bird to its vertical position
11. The liquid in the bottom bulb is heated by ambient air, which is at a temperature slightly higher than the temperature of the bird's head.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

s1m0n wrote:A virtuous circle, shurely.
:lol: That one probably went right over the herds.
But don't you mean '...causes local changes (cooling)' ?
I don't know, I just know whatever goes up must come down. And I don't want to hear about your good man Jesus either, Steve. :wink: The ice builds up, we must retreat. We build up, the ice must retreat. The January Man he goes around, and then comes around again. Cycles in our system. Old Faithful. Haley's Comment. (sorry Denny) High tide, low tide...Thai hyde, hide tie. It's never ending...every other things seems victim to a circle.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Lorenzo wrote:
s1m0n wrote:A virtuous circle, shurely.
:lol: That one probably went right over the herds.
Darn it, missed it, I even was thinking of the Wimshurst machine when I read that and wondered what was meant.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Galapagos sea lions head for warm Peru waters
The Organisation for Research and Conservation of Aquatic Animals says the sea lions have swum to northern Peru because of rising temperatures.

They says the temperature rise was caused by climate change.

Experts say it is the first time that Galapagos sea lions have set up a colony outside the islands.

The monitors say the water temperature in Piura, off the coast of northern Peru, has risen from 17C to 23C over the last 10 years.

The temperature is much closer to the sea temperature around the Galapagos Islands, which averages about 25C.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Same thing happened at Fisherman's Warf. 1500 sea lions suddenly just disappeared and no one knew exactly why. There were news reports that huge numbers of sea lions were showing up along Oregon's warm beaches a few days later. But then, a week or two later, suddenly the lions began returning, Experts now think they know what really happened. The lions were chased off by a fisherman's dog. The fisherman and his dog recently moved north to the Oregon coast. Round and round they go. :)
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Lorenzo wrote:1500 sea lions suddenly just disappeared and no one knew exactly why.
They were undercover at the RNC.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

I've had trouble finding out anything in-depth about the sea lion story. Even with global warming I find the sea temperature rise described in the article to be somewhat sudden and excessive. I thought that maybe some kind of change in local sea-currents might have been involved. If anyone is cleverer than me at digging out the background to this (shouldn't be difficult) I'd be interested to hear it.

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

SteveShaw wrote:If anyone is cleverer than me at digging out the background to this (shouldn't be difficult) I'd be interested to hear it.
It's right in the midst of el Nino/la Nina territory, innit?

And that's characterised as substantial periodic oscillations in the surface temperature of the pacific ocean off the west coast of South America, which is exactly what this sounds like.

C.S. Lewis