Physics Question: Are Eyeglasses Mechanical?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

someone please hand me a fig-newton. :D
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

good heck, lets be done with it!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I'm with Gollum on this one. If you throw a ball at a wall, the ball will bounce off of the wall.
The collision has caused a change in the ball's vector. Is the wall a machine? Lord, no. It is
a passive obstruction. A lens is just a passive obstruction... the light will experience
friction from the crystalline structure of the glass, thus shifting its direction. I mean, good grief,
if you roll a ball along the floor and the friction causes the ball to eventually stop, is the floor
a machine?
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGHH!
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Is a screaming human a machine? :-?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote: A lens is just a passive obstruction...
I wish someone would passivly obstruct this thread... :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
amar

Post by amar »

jbarter wrote:Is a screaming human a machine? :-?
well, your larynx i guess could be part of a machine, of course your diaphram would be part of it...
amar

Post by amar »

here. even heads can be machines!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tyler Morris wrote:I wish someone would passivly obstruct this thread... :D
You could always construct a filter:

if (thread_title == "Physics Question: Are Eyeglasses Mechanical?")
then Dont_bloody_click_on_it();
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:

it's just so much fun to see you piddle back and forth though. :D
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:

you're so mean! :P
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Sorry I was using thistype of definition for my original opinion.

I could see how a prism could act like a pulley in changing the direction of the energy.

Expanding the definition though (and your original Idea) how about a light bulb? Changes electricity to light. In addition, magnets are often used to move electricity, but magnetism is also a force that can be induced by electricity, so that seems more like a different form of energy I guess.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

This entire thread is just one big optical allusion...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy

Post by missy »

ok - thinking a little seriously here.......

With the light bulb ID mentions, you are changing electrical energy into light and heat (at least with an incadescent bulb).

With lenses for near or far sighted-ness, you aren't "changing" the energy, you are just refocusing it to a different point in space (or your eyeball).
Now - I suppose if you had lenses that were of extremely high magnification, and you were to stand there looking at the sun, you could say you were changing the energy (light) into something (heat).
Sunglasses, on the other hand, still aren't "changing" the light, they are just filtering out certain wavelengths and allowing others to pass through.

So - I guess with all that, I'm voting for tool......... what was the question?
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

missy wrote:With lenses for near or far sighted-ness, you aren't "changing" the energy, you are just refocusing it to a different point in space (or your eyeball).
True, but the definition talks about modifying the energy, not changing it. A pulley doesn't change energy, it just modifies it.

Is a microscope a machine? What about a telescope? If you accept those as machines, then you must also accept eyeglasses.

Thanks for the interesting conversation. You've definitely modified my thinking on this.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."