Yellow jackets

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Pfreddee
antispam: No

Re: Yellow jackets

Post by Pfreddee »

Or if you're looking for a free copy of the mis-shapen Chinese lantern as a deterrent, they abandon their nests in the fall, and you can take it home with you for next year. Just make sure the family isn't home. :shock:

BTW, I've been told that yellowjackets not only sting you, they bite and kick you as well... :tomato:

With best regards,

Pfreddee(Stephen)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

One of the hard things with locating a nest here is the foliage. We live in the woods, and the beasties usually dig their nests in banks that are covered with ivy, redwood sorrel, periwinkle and St. John's wort, often further shrouded by manzanita and other shrubs. You really have to look hard to find the opening (and try not to get swarmed in the process).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I was reading through this thread, because we're always inundated with Yellowjackets at this time of year. I was surprised to have everyone telling you to find their underground hive, because ours ALL live in holes in trees, in rafters and eaves, or under any kind of roofing which might be up a bit (like on our dog's house), etc. Turns out, here in the North Country, we don't have the regular Yellow Jackets that are prevalent in the US....apparently, for whatever reason, the German Wasp was introduced here and they are the type we have to deal with. We have the same ones as they do in Europe....kind of funny, really. You learn something new every day! For the record, this is what ours look like:

We do have the Eastern Yellow Jackets, as well, which do burrow into the ground to build a nest, but we seem to have more of the German type. They're awful....if walk within a 5 foot radius of their hive, they'll attack, especially at this time of year. In the past week, the kids have been in every day with stings. And I've sprayed every nest I've found. I can't keep up with the darn things.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I like The Yellowjackets. Does that count?

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dwest

Post by dwest »

MTGuru wrote:I like The Yellowjackets. Does that count?

That's what I said. :thumbsup:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

dwest wrote:That's what I said. :thumbsup:
Oh, I missed that. :lol:

(Jimmy Haslip is an old high school friend and rock bandmate.)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

izzarina wrote:I was reading through this thread, because we're always inundated with Yellowjackets at this time of year. I was surprised to have everyone telling you to find their underground hive, because ours ALL live in holes in trees, in rafters and eaves, or under any kind of roofing which might be up a bit (like on our dog's house), etc.
Yeah, because of this thread I started really looking into it, and found in a couple of (I think reliable) sources that even our native burrowers apparently may nest aboveground and not necessarily even in ready-made hollows, but in obvious paper nests as well (unless of course a not-too-clear line was being drawn between the German wasp and our native yellowjacket). Honestly I was surprised as I've never seen that myself, so over time one just assumes. But if it's true, then they're very adaptable little customers, indeed.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

I got nailed by a saddleback caterpillar about two hours ago, still hurts like the dickens.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

One look and I wouldn't wanna get too close to that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

I bet Nano is selecting a sushi pic right now. :D

I see that he failed...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Honestly, sushi came nowhere near to mind. But now that you mention it.....there's probably a chef out there trying to recreate these forms. How about this on your plate:

Corgicrazed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Corgicrazed »

I got stung by a Bumblebee on my foot a few months ago. My whole foot swelled up. lol. :lol:
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

dwest wrote:I got nailed by a saddleback caterpillar about two hours ago, still hurts like the dickens.
Neat little sweater (or is that a jumper?).
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

We just got back from our vacation to the midwest where we were eaten alive by mosquitoes and flies but no yellowjackets. Now we're back home where the yellowjackets are out in force. Ours are the kind that build nests up under the eaves.
Charlene
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

What in the world is a Saddleback caterpillar???? :o It looks icky. And after Nano's post, I'm thinking it's going to be time to stay away from this thread very soon....I'm certain it's going to go downhill quickly...
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.