Kitchen Sanitation

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

If all you do with the measuring cup is measure water, do you need to wash the cup?

Yes
8%
No
80%
Maybe
12%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 25

mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Kitchen Sanitation

Post by mutepointe »

emmline wrote:Mutey--show your mother this: Poaching salmon in a dishwasher.
Then perhaps she will want one for multiple reasons. You also get an excellent video depiction of the steamy dish-sterilizing action of a dishwasher.
Then for sure we'll never be able to use the dishwasher for it's intended purpose. No thank you.
Katharine wrote:Can you give me her phone number and I can convince her to come to my house???
You would think this is a good idea but it comes with a big price tag. Are you really ready to have your home redecorated in cabbage roses?
Katharine wrote:(I still haven't a clue what to do about the fact that I always have waaaaaaaaaaaay more top-rack stuff than bottom-rack stuff...)
You may have to assess your dining habits and your dinnerware. Possible suggestions are to get tall skinny glasses for the bottom shelf or reevaluate if you're eating a balanced diet. Serve that salad on a dinner plate.
Nanohedron wrote:If you never washed it it wouldn't be a big deal, IMO...in a perfect world. But this is not that perfect world. You might sneeze on it, or your parakeet could poop in it, or your dog might lap the water out of it, or you could be hit with a toxic cloud, or if you didn't wipe it dry you could have the heartbreak of unattractive mineral deposits, for example. Clearly the only sensible answer is "Maybe".
emmline wrote: I say you're reading too much into this, now that Mutey has clarified the guidelines. We assume a one time usage.
emm was right.
Nanohedron wrote: No way. I, the apparent voice crying in the wilderness, go by the pristine exactitude of the words of the poll question, and I read him as not having strayed therefrom. :wink:

We'll have to ask him for further clarification. This happens with him. :wink:
Yes way.
dwest wrote:At Christmas time I'm usually baking a very large number of cakes. My wet measure cup doesn't get washed until I'm done each day even through it has a thin coating of buttermilk or soured milk, eggs, vegetable oils, vanilla, and other assorted liquids.
I could deal with this if a person rinsed but I would also use a seperate measure cup for the oils.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Since we talked about rice so much, that was really going to be my follow-up question anyway. If I measure the rice in a cup, then use the same cup to measure the water, do I really need to wash the cup?

When my Mom visits, I use the same cup to eat the rice so she's none the wiser.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

Rice gets measured in a dry measure cup, water is a liquid, some of the time, and it gets measured in a wet measure cup. Generations of alchemists will agree with that.
Dreamer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Dreamer »

dwest wrote:Rice gets measured in a dry measure cup, water is a liquid, some of the time, and it gets measured in a wet measure cup. Generations of alchemists will agree with that.
Being precise there, huh? :poke: Looks like you've never eyed the ingredients (Which, by the way if you do it right it can come out even better than the recipe). :lol:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

We cook rice so often that both my wife and I can pour the necessary amount of rice into the pot, and add the required amount of water without measuring, so that after boiling for twenty minutes there is no need to drain the rice. :D

I have ONE skill, okay?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Innocent Bystander wrote:We cook rice so often that both my wife and I can pour the necessary amount of rice into the pot, and add the required amount of water without measuring, so that after boiling for twenty minutes there is no need to drain the rice. :D

I have ONE skill, okay?
Ummm ... that's what I said. Can't remember which page now ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:When my Mom visits, I use the same cup to eat the rice so she's none the wiser.
Well, there you go, then.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician