Moments in Culturally Promotional Fashion

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Moments in Culturally Promotional Fashion

Post by Nanohedron »

JackCampin wrote:I have one of those.

Compared with a kilt, it wraps the wrong way round - a real kilt is wound clockwise round your waist.
And there's totally that. I wondered what the deal was with a bass-ackward "kilt" - even the "pin" is on the wrong side. The way it's set up, most people (well, righthanded ones, anyway) normally and without thought wrap the towel so the sporran image winds up covered underneath, so you have to go out of your way to get it right. Very awkward for the beachgoer, the gym rat, or the yachtbound who may be too poor (or just plain cheap. You know who you are) to get a real filibeg, yet who dearly wishes to suggest his or her ancestral pride, or fantasies as the case may be, in various states of undress.
MTGuru wrote:I dunno, Peter ... Between haggis, Irn-Bru, and Billy Connolly, the Scots have a lot to atone for. Seems to me that apostrophes are the least you can do. :twisted:
The man has a point, Peter.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Yeah, and then the some Lassie would have pity for the poor Bloke and help him.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nah, the lassies wouldn't get it 'cause that's the way a kilted skirt wraps, so it's just par for the course for most women.

(I'm pretty sure the kilted skirt is an example of fashion misogyny. "Right, blokes, so we've got this awesome piece of clothing and it's all swingy and pleaty and stuff. Oh, and I guess my old lady's gonna want one, so get this-- we're gonna use like a quarter of the yardage and turn the pleats into jokes and tell them it's a special kilt just for girls! And-- this is even better-- they don't even get a sporran or a sgian dubh! HAHAHAHA!" [You'd think men would've learned better after the third or fourth time of "hey sweetie, d'ya think I can put my lipstick in your sporran? You're such a guy."])
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

"Fashion misogyny"? You DO know how a woman in a kilt looks, right? Right. Like a woman in a kilt.
Katharine wrote:You'd think men would've learned better after the third or fourth time of "hey sweetie, d'ya think I can put my lipstick in your sporran? You're such a guy."
Minxes, the lot of you. You can't tell me a woman doesn't know how speaking of lipstick in regard to any sporranical proximity is like to make a man faint. A question like that is just asking for the enthusiastically off-color reply it so richly deserves.

Anyway, you're assuming we don't like the ladies fiddling with our clasps. Maybe you should give us just a bit of credit on this one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
maki

Post by maki »

I couldn't wear a kilt, even if I wanted to.
Whenever people see my legs they ask me if I'm riding a chicken.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

maki wrote:Whenever people see my legs they ask me if I'm riding a chicken.
And can we assume that the answer is no? :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

BTW, I just hit Google Images with the (I thought improbable) keywords "saddle chicken". There are way more out there than you might think.

Disturbing. Who, or what, would ride them? And why?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Nanohedron wrote:"Fashion misogyny"? You DO know how a woman in a kilt looks, right? Right. Like a woman in a kilt.
http://www.tiltedkilt.com/
Around here, we're just catching up. New restaurant opening soon (replacing Bennigans http://bennigans.com/). And Tiltedkilt... its conveniently located a couple blocks away from our other older restaurant http://www.hooters.com/home.aspx with lots of community involvement (cancer fund, bike nite). Maki, they specialize in chicken legs. We got it all "culturally fashionable".
Nanohedron wrote:Minxes, the lot of you. You can't tell me a woman doesn't know how speaking of lipstick in regard to any sporranical proximity is like to make a man faint. A question like that is just asking for the enthusiastically off-color reply it so richly deserves.

Anyway, you're assuming we don't like the ladies fiddling with our clasps. Maybe you should give us just a bit of credit on this one.
Speaking of Minxes... well, here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNP6ZvGIto&feature=plcp
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Nanohedron wrote:BTW, I just hit Google Images with the (I thought improbable) keywords "saddle chicken". There are way more out there than you might think.

Disturbing. Who, or what, would ride them? And why?
Tuesday Afternoons... oh well, you gotta wait til they get a little bigger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnKBQquzGXE