Yahoo! I have hot legs.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Well I finished the half-marathon. Didn't do as well as I'd hoped -- ran 2:12, which is not at all embarrassing, but I'd really hoped to break 2:00. About 25th percentile both in my age group and in men overall. It was just one of those days when I had no giddeyap in the legs; also I had trouble finding a parking place so couldn't warm up before the start.

I'll be doing more long runs from now on, so as my wife said, my off days will get better. For now, though, I'm taking it easy till I'm fully healthy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote:Well I finished the half-marathon. Didn't do as well as I'd hoped -- ran 2:12, which is not at all embarrassing, but I'd really hoped to break 2:00. About 25th percentile both in my age group and in men overall.
Good for you, the most important thing is having fun.
It was just one of those days when I had no giddeyap in the legs; also I had trouble finding a parking place so couldn't warm up before the start.
Warm-up, for a half-marathon? What's the point, you've got plenty of time to warm-up during the race! :lol:
I'll be doing more long runs from now on, so as my wife said, my off days will get better. For now, though, I'm taking it easy till I'm fully healthy.
One long run every week to 10 days is usually best for those who aren't really serious/competitive. By long I mean, a run of over 12 mi. or so. Unless you're very light weight, doing more than one long run ever week to 10 is going to beat you up and lead to a string of overuse injuries. Better to do one long run, several medium distance runs at a quicker pace, and at least one short run of 2-3 miles at the fastest pace you manage, in an effort to get your distance speed up a bit. Then finally two days a week with no running. Ride the bike, go for a hike, hit the gym, use a rowing machine, whatever.

Loren[/i]
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Yahoo! I have hot legs.

Post by fel bautista »

gonzo914 wrote: And the Universal Guy Law against hitting on any of your daughter's friends expires when said daughter turns 21.
It does? Where's the paper so I can check!!!
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote: One long run every week to 10 days is usually best for those who aren't really serious/competitive. By long I mean, a run of over 12 mi. or so. Unless you're very light weight, doing more than one long run ever week to 10 is going to beat you up and lead to a string of overuse injuries.
That's pretty much my plan -- a long run every week or two. Since I suffer from overuse injuries, I really don't want to overdo it. What I've found is that 3-4 five milers a week plus one 10-15 miler doesn't tax my body any more than the fives by themselves
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

chas wrote:
Loren wrote: One long run every week to 10 days is usually best for those who aren't really serious/competitive. By long I mean, a run of over 12 mi. or so. Unless you're very light weight, doing more than one long run ever week to 10 is going to beat you up and lead to a string of overuse injuries.
That's pretty much my plan -- a long run every week or two. Since I suffer from overuse injuries, I really don't want to overdo it. What I've found is that 3-4 five milers a week plus one 10-15 miler doesn't tax my body any more than the fives by themselves
Hmm. Never got into running. Maybe I'll give it a try. I still like doing the bike but I've cut back a little with all the rain we've had.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm