Excuses! Excuses!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Re: Excuses! Excuses!

Post by dwest »

Freedom birds, including parakeets have a long and ignoble history in England, unfortunately certain parts of the States are trying hard to catch up. Small gauge shotguns can make quite a sport of reducing their numbers.
Anyanka
antispam: No

Post by Anyanka »

If rabbits aren't English, what or who is? Everybody's ancestors migrated here or invaded the islands at some stage.

Hell, I even think of myself as English. Most of the time.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Anyanka wrote:If rabbits aren't English, what or who is? Everybody's ancestors migrated here or invaded the islands at some stage.

A little story about bunnies:

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_r ... ecies.html
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Interesting. I'm always impressed by those cost calculations. I have a suspicion that they are randomly generated.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Anyanka wrote:Interesting. I'm always impressed by those cost calculations. I have a suspicion that they are randomly generated.
As someone who use to generate such costs for wildlife depredations, I assure you I just came up with whatever worked. Now if youse guys could also just get rid of those dratted brown hares......
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Anyanka wrote:If rabbits aren't English, what or who is? Everybody's ancestors migrated here or invaded the islands at some stage.

Nah. Rabbits is incomers.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:The Wallabies and the Parakeets are a little more startling than the rabbits. Not so long-running, yet, but they seem to have settled in for the long stay.
Wallabies? Britain has wallabies? Like, as in escaped, settled in beautiful scenic Devon, and raiding your garden wallabies? Your'e $#!++!n' me.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:The Wallabies and the Parakeets are a little more startling than the rabbits. Not so long-running, yet, but they seem to have settled in for the long stay.
Wallabies? Britain has wallabies? Like, as in escaped, settled in beautiful scenic Devon, and raiding your garden wallabies? Your'e $#!++!n' me.
It's worse than that, a Dingo ate my fish and chips!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'll trade you your Roman rabbits for our Africanized killer bees. Because, you know, there's no such a thing as killer rabbits.

[ Yes ... Cue the YT video clip ... someone ... anyone ... ]
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh, all right. Anything for you, Mr Guru Sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apDGPl2SfpA&NR=1
dwest

Post by dwest »

I like nature documentaries myself, this one was narrated by Michael Caine, I don't know if he's English or Welsh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpO4gvW6 ... re=related
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:I like nature documentaries myself, this one was narrated by Michael Caine, I don't know if he's English or Welsh.
"Identify." "A Black Mass, sir. A moving Black Mass." So much for that; all I saw was some bugs.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:Because, you know, there's no such a thing as killer rabbits.
Really?

dwest

Post by dwest »

Nanohedron wrote:
dwest wrote:I like nature documentaries myself, this one was narrated by Michael Caine, I don't know if he's English or Welsh.
"Identify." "A Black Mass, sir. A moving Black Mass." So much for that; all I saw was some bugs.
Ah, yes, Delaware Senatorial Politics.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Nanohedron wrote:
Nope. First escapees were possibly in the 1920s or 30s. Certainly there used to be a colony in the Derbyshire peak district when I was a kid. They have since died out due to some hard winters back in the late 70s. There were reported sightings around Loch Lomond in Scotland at one point. Most sightings seem to occur in the south. There used to be some around Chessington in Surrey.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.