how a deaf fluteplayer gets to hear again

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

whew. what can happen in 11 days!
since end of november, there have been some things going wrong directions, ESPECIALLY speech comprehension.
each time I went there for programming, speech started to get harder to understand.
nobody understood WHY.

meanwhile I kept going with other things, as I have posted here, but the fact that speech got worse has worn me thin last ten days.
my brain almost started to smoke when I tried to solve the mystery but I finally got some strong clues.

yesterday, I had another appointment and took my log with me to the audiologist to read.
I told him I could hear bass tones and male voices well, and VERY high frequencies like birds, but that a lot of things sounded garbled and that got worse every day.
that I thought I needed more of the middle tones stuff instead of more highs.
when I was tested, this indeed showed up and he adjusted the programme, something he told me he was normally not eager and even wary to do.
so if I would have proved to be WRONG, I would have had to go home with nothing new.

I felt SO lucky that this showed up and so the frequencies between 300 and 2000 hertz were adjusted, with a peak in the middle of that.
now I am not going to say this solved EVERYTHING because it did not.
what instantly noticed is that speech got clearer.

my theory so far, that I could indeed end up with ONE program to use for EVERYTHING, still stands, as these are exactly the frequencies too where our music is played ;)
but that, I did not tell them....the focus is on speech now.

another thing I have suggested is go BACK to the programme of the beginning, which has 16 channels instead of 120 (virtual) ones (the implant itself has ONLY 16, you see.)
this was also tried out and it was almost shocking that the 16 channel sounded much better for speech instantly.

happily I got back home, and on my trip noticed I could understand some words again on the audiobook already, something I have not been able to do last week anymore. there was NO speech understanding left....
in the evening also practicing with speech, was going MUCH better, and even picked up some words again from tv, something I have been able to do on day 2 already but NOT with the 120 channel program.

the downside of this is that I forgot to ask them to KEEP a 120 channel program for music, as for that you need to have at least 100 channels to make something out of it.......so next two weeks I will have to "make do" with what I have got now.

I don't worry anymore at all, it is going to be ALLRIGHT.
I just listened to THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoTL162Sd44
with tears in my eyes......... :)
in the past I only could LISTEN to music but never EXPERIENCE/ FEEL it.
despite noticing where I need more adjusting in the programme, it sounded good enough to make me cry ........and feel very very thankful for the audie who had so much patience with me yesterday.

now both male AND female voices sound better, and if I am right, I don't need more extreme programming anymore from now on.
the volume is just fine, just need some bits here and there and then.......
world, watch out!!

blessings to you all.
berti
all music is what awakes within you
when you are reminded of it by the instrument.
walt whitman
alurker

Post by alurker »

It looks (and sounds) like things are going in the right direction for you. :party:

Wishing you the best on this exciting journey.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

what an exciting journey you're on. i feel like i'm sitting in the sidecar of a motorcycle.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
djm

Post by djm »

I can't help but feel enormously curious about your experiences. Perhaps one day you will be able to reproduce electronically what these sounds are that you talk about. I can imagine all sorts of things, but I doubt they are anything like what you are really experiencing. If you know of some examples on the web of the distorted sounds you have been hearing I would appreciate being directed to them so that I may better understand what you are going through.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Caroluna
antispam: No

Post by Caroluna »

Hi Berti--
I recently got the TV series "The Mystery of the Senses" on DVD. The episode on hearing included a story about a woman who received a cochlear implant. We got to see a little of the surgery and a good explanation of how it works. Best of all, we got to see the woman's reaction when they turned the sound on for the first time. The look on her face was intense concentration, confusion and radiant joy all at once. I was thinking of you!!! :D
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

djm, if you are talking about distorted sounds with the implant, then you are wrong........it is more that it was distorted when I still wore the hearing aid. of course, things still need finetuning but now that I have taken a step back and take things at an easier pace, it showed yesterday that I am already further than I was two weeks ago.

as for examples on the web about how a cochlear implant sounds, I personally don't think that is a good idea.
why not? because they will NEVER be able to reproduce the ACTUAL sounds a person hears if you are talking implants.
of course, you can do a search if you want to know but I can tell you beforehand that this will give the wrong impression.
best thing is go by description of a cochear implant user.

there are, however, examples on the web how a person with a hearing loss hears.
but AGAIN, I say, it might only give a CLUE but I have always been able to hear more than the examples on the web told me for the same hearing loss.
what I am really sorry about, is that these same results are being used in lectures for studies, and if then you meet such a person who has been to that lecture, they most often prefer to believe their professor instead of YOU, who knows by personal experience. (sorry for the rant)

you can always go to the site of www.bionicear.com and if I am right they still have the info about the Harmony on their site.
they compare the old 16 channel with the new 120 channel and this might give you some ideas of the differences, which are exactly as experienced by most people I know.

ok, lecture over ;)
have a nice day today ........few days left till holidays!!!
berti
walt whitman
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

What an incredible adventure. It is so exciting and yet I can definitely see where it can be intensely frustrating at times too. Good luck getting it sorted out. I am just amazed at what is already happening. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
djm

Post by djm »

Berti66 wrote:you can always go to the site of <A HREF="http://www.bionicear.com/">www.bionicear.com</A>
Okay, I have listened to <A TARGET= NEW" HREF="http://www.bionicear.com/Products/Harmo ... id=1">this sound sample simulation</A> of the difference between the 16-bit and 120-bit systems. Are you saying the 120-bit system in the example is what you are hearing? The 120-bit example is followed by the original sample. Do you hear any difference between the 120-bit example and the original sample as provided?

djm
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

very good question djm.
BEFORE I had surgery, with my hearing aid, I could clearly hear the difference between the 16 and 120 channel AND the original.
and I could tell (for MY ears) that the 120 channel was closer to the original than the 16 channel.

I did not repeat this after the activation of course as now I could tell by experience the difference between 16 and 120.
normally I use the 120 channel but now I have gone back to 16 as speech understanding is better there.
it is not that I will have to stay there, but just to give my brains more time to adjust more slowly instead of being thrown into the deep pool right away and expect them to swim :D
I do sure miss the 120 channel but focus is now on speech understanding.

today, I had a thrilling experience as my eldest daughter was visiting me, and when she heard, that I could hear very very soft sounds (the clock of the central heating ticking) she asked if I could hear a needle drop on the floor.
good question, it seemed pretty much to expect to hear so we did a test.
she had the needle AND I HEARD IT DROPPING!!!
FLIPPING HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

berti
walt whitman
djm

Post by djm »

I hope you made her pick the needle up. It would be too much to expect you to have to start wandering around the house picking up needles all the time. :wink:

djm
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

besides that it would be very painful with bare feet....... ;)
berti
walt whitman
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

happy newyear everybody!!!
here the latest things.

progres is now much slower but steadier.
I have today gone back from 16 to 120 channel programming because I noticed it is no good to have two different ones on the processor and switching back and forth.
also, for music the 120 channel is definitely much better.
with the 16 channel, I could hear everything well enough but it seems the 120 channel gives the music sounds more dimension (depth) and details are better heard (ornaments, taking breaths).
it has been good to use 16 channel to build a sturdy base on speech comprehension (aka self confidence!!!).

I was afraid the slowly growing speech comprehension would go backwards after switching to 120 channel again but so far no problem.
I had my youngest (13) just read me a little story and it went relatively well.
then the phone rang and it was my ex.....(my BEST friend), we talked 15 minutes. (when I type this down I go :o !!!!)
this also is part of the practicing, as I have noticed I should try to focus on LISTENING.

last week I finally seem to have cracked on HOW to concentrate on listening, and since then have set different ways to practice this.
it is becoming better every few days, and I have high hopes for the next few months.

because I hear so much more now, I am also enjoying so many more different sounds.
yesterday night of course, the fireworks were a completely different experience......before all this, with the hearing aid I could surely tell it was fireworks but I never could hear as much detail as I did this time!
especially a lot of very small sounds are new to me.
such a silly thing like a sunflower seed dropping on my plate while eating a sandwich....... :)
I have become much more careful with how I handle things, putting things down and opening and closing things.....sometimes the noise is just too much!

also enjoying more different kinds of music and I have found again the lovely voice of john denver again on youtube.
it has been LONG since I heard him sing and the last five years I couldn't understand a WORD anymore.
so I am currently looking round for more stuff to listen to and experiment with........and will start playing guitar again to see if I can still enjoy it.
(that was 10 years ago....)

slowly very slowly my whole world is opening up and lots of wild adventures crossing my path.
will keep you posted :)

happy smiles
berti
walt whitman
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Do keep us updated. It all seems so amazing.

Happy smiles indeed! :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I wish you would have made a movie so that all those liars on this board who say they never cry at movies could have a good gushing.

what kind of sandwich are you eating that sunflower seeds fall on your plate?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Berti66 wrote:this also is part of the practicing, as I have noticed I should try to focus on LISTENING.
I can think of a few hearing-unimpaired acquaintances who could try it. :wink:

Wonderful tidings, Berti. All the best to you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician