New Yamaha Fife Thread

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

New Yamaha Fife Thread

Post by plunk111 »

I just got one of these little gems - it's a lot of fun even WITH the funky fingering! Anyway, here's my question... On mine, the thumbhole is offset quite a bit toward the player. Is this normal or is mine drilled improperly?

Thanks in advance!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

That's how my fife is. It's that low C note that I would like to be in-line.

I wonder why Yamaha doesn't make a simple flute.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

For the price ($8.99 at Amazon), I'm really impressed with the quality...

Pat
XDVarenkor

Post by XDVarenkor »

I used to like the Yamaha, then I tried the Angel AF10 - half the price and twice as good (IMHO). I get a much fuller and reedier tone than with the YRF21, and the Angel looks less like a toy as well.
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

A search for your ANGEL turned up this picture:

It appears identical to my old AULOS. Does it have double holes for every other finger (to play semitones like a baroque recorder)? How many thumb-holes?

The two sources I found for the ANGEL were both in Australia and prices were $9.50 & $16.00 AUD.

My son has an ANGEL Recorder (made in Korea) from school and I was very impressed by the quality for such a modest price! :) I thought it sounded better than the wooden ADLER Recorder I got him for Christman a year aqo.
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

Thanks a LOT! Now I have to get ANOTHER one!!!

Pat
MarkusH

Post by MarkusH »

Because of the other thread I got me one of these. It's too cheap for not trying it out. It sure is a nice little thing. But can playing this fife improve the embouchure on the "real" flute like the "normal" six-holed fifes?
Cork

Post by Cork »

MarkusH wrote:Because of the other thread I got me one of these. It's too cheap for not trying it out. It sure is a nice little thing. But can playing this fife improve the embouchure on the "real" flute like the "normal" six-holed fifes?
Yes, the little Yamaha has a real embouchure, and works much in the same way as most other flutes do.

For what it can do, and for the price, it's a great deal.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

The radial position of the thumb hole on the fife (rather more towards the player) is the same place as the thumb holes on my flutes - it is where my thumb sits naturally. So it probably is intentional.

Chris.
XDVarenkor

Post by XDVarenkor »

My Angel is identical to your picture - so no, no double holes. It has one thumb hole.
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

Can I ask a fife related question that doesn't relate to the Yamaha?

I'm interested in the fifes sold by Little Woodwinds on eBay.

Here's a link to their eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/Little-Woodwinds ... idZ2QQtZkm

Their feedback is all positive, but I was curious if any C&Fers had tried their fifes.

Scott
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Scott,

I had a set of WOSKER's Little Woodwind pine Fifes about 3 years ago. They did play and were certainly cheap, but not very well tuned. They improved much with a little elbow grease, but ultimately I gave them all away to interested kids (for which I deemed them appropriate).

All the Best!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Bridges-PdP

Post by Bridges-PdP »

Thanks Jordan,

That's just the kind of feedback I expected. The prices seem right, but I hadn't heard much mention of them around here.

I thought I might like to play around with a fife a bit, but those seemed too good to be true.

Now, if I could find something decent in that price range... It's too bad those Angel AF10 fifes aren't anywhere in the States.

Scott
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

I just ordered the Aulos C21 from http://www.rhythmband.com/ for only $12.

Pat

P.S. I couldn't put a link to the actual page on the site, just do a search on "fife"...
plunk111

Post by plunk111 »

OK, now I've received the Aulos fife... No doubt about it (IMHO), buy the Aulos if you're looking for a cheap fife. It has a good F# (which the Yamaha doesn't) and sounds a little better. The only drawback I can see is that the joining of the embouchure tube and the main tube is just a simple slot arrangement whereas the Yamaha has a dovetail arrangement (similar to my Copley flute).

Also, I highly recommend Rhythm Band Instruments - super fast shipping and a GREAT price (roughly 1/2 of what I found elsewhere).

Now, I notice in their catalogue that they have a baroque flute for $215... Hmmmm...

Pat