Von Huene Video Workshop Tour

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Von Huene Video Workshop Tour

Post by Loren »

I just came across this video tour of the shop where I used to work, which appears to have been posted just last year. A quick forum search seems to indicate it hasn’t been posted here yet, so here you go, I figure it might be interesting some.

It’s actually a fairly long video covering some interesting and rarely seen parts of the process used at the shop, but there are still a great many steps you won’t see. However, for those who watch and listen closely, and who are interested, there are things to be gleaned from the video.

https://youtu.be/lxzO5Kvo7gk
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Re: Von Huene Video Workshop Tour

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

That is a great video. I got to watch it when it was first posted (paddler turned me onto it) and it was a treat. There was indeed much to glean! I was sorry not to see more of the details of the process, but I understand why they would limit the detail around proprietary processes, tooling, etc.. Nonetheless, lots of good stuff to be seen.

I particularly love the somewhat hodge-podge layout of the premises. Makes me feel right at home. I remember seeing photos from the workshop of Tobias Manke (headjoint maker). His website no longer shows the tour photos of the showroom and workshop, but it was unlike anything I've ever seen--it really looked like a laboratory of some kind. Gleaming white surfaces and shiny machines. I half expected to see a centrifuge with test tubes in it. Impossible to discern any evidence of work actually being done there ;-). They probably scrubbed the place from floor to ceiling before taking photos, but even so it looked like a strange and sterile place to work--not my cup of tea at all! Whereas the Von Heune workshop felt wonderfully cozy, despite being pretty spacious. What a great place to have studied flute-craft.
radcliff
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Very nice!
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

Personally I remain convinced that the evolution of any endeavour should be meticulously documented, and have devised a rather ingenious manner by which to achieve this. When one is starting any project, one corner of the room that has been chosen for the fabrication process is decided upon as point of departure.

From there it is all downhill, as they say, with no further effort whatsoever nescessary. Each new stage of manufacture is carried out at the border of the previous effort, which is left as is, and so gradually working one's way outwards across the room one is left with the whole sequence available for detailed perusal. Only craftsmen (and possibly craftswomen also, although they do tend to be more obsessed with a regimented tidiness) are able to fully understand, in my opinion, how any tool or part can be directly located in the resulting workshop canvas, and so the need to keep its order undisturbed by outside influences of whatever kind. The resulting burden of misunderstanding, of even the mildest accusatory look of reclusiveness or personal rejection, all being part of the toil of producing anything of any value whatsoever, which otherwise tends towards being quite enjoyable for anyone who has found a constructive spirit.
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

GreenWood wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am Personally I remain convinced that the evolution of any endeavour should be meticulously documented, and have devised a rather ingenious manner by which to achieve this. When one is starting any project, one corner of the room that has been chosen for the fabrication process is decided upon as point of departure.

From there it is all downhill, as they say, with no further effort whatsoever nescessary. Each new stage of manufacture is carried out at the border of the previous effort, which is left as is, and so gradually working one's way outwards across the room one is left with the whole sequence available for detailed perusal. Only craftsmen (and possibly craftswomen also, although they do tend to be more obsessed with a regimented tidiness) are able to fully understand, in my opinion, how any tool or part can be directly located in the resulting workshop canvas, and so the need to keep its order undisturbed by outside influences of whatever kind. The resulting burden of misunderstanding, of even the mildest accusatory look of reclusiveness or personal rejection, all being part of the toil of producing anything of any value whatsoever, which otherwise tends towards being quite enjoyable for anyone who has found a constructive spirit.
I'm not sure I followed all of that. Starting out it seems that you are speaking to the value of a particular type of organization within a shop. Conceptually, it is an interesting notion, though in practice I'm not sure how many crafts persons would conceive in that particular way. If you have a notion to be a flute maker and you have a preconception of the method you would like to employ, then perhaps you could systematically lay out your shop in such a way as to facilitate a very methodical sequence of activities. Correct me if I have misunderstood your description.

If one is a hobbyist, or if one is a production facility of a certain kind, such an approach might be very efficient. However, speaking as someone who makes a wide variety of woodwinds in a very limited space (16x24 shop), and who always has a bunch of different projects in different states of production, such an approach would be insupportable. And while the methodical method you describe might give the maker a certain vantage point from which to view their process, it is rather idealized, and certainly not a prerequisite for efficient methods.

But I lost you at this point:
GreenWood wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 amin my opinion, how any tool or part can be directly located in the resulting workshop canvas, and so the need to keep its order undisturbed by outside influences of whatever kind. The resulting burden of misunderstanding, of even the mildest accusatory look of reclusiveness or personal rejection, all being part of the toil of producing anything of any value whatsoever, which otherwise tends towards being quite enjoyable for anyone who has found a constructive spirit.
It's a bit abstract, and despite numerous readings, I could make nothing of "The resulting burden of misunderstanding, of even the mildest accusatory look of reclusiveness or personal rejection"
GreenWood
Tell us something.: To add to the renaissance flute discussion that is under way. Well, the rest of this field is going to be taken up by a long sentence, which is this one, because a hundred characters are needed before it is accepted.

Post by GreenWood »

It was tongue in cheek Geoffrey, I was speaking about my own form of "hodge-bodge" layout and "justifying" the merits of that ;-)

The resulting burden of misunderstanding is from those who look at the premises as only somewhere someone escapes to, or who are upset for feeling they are rejected from it. It isn't always that way round though, I could easily imagine someone being told "...how about you try to finish off that flute you were making dear ?".

It was subtly written maybe but the change in style of writing, I thought, might give away the jest of it.

:-)
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

GreenWood wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:44 pm It was tongue in cheek Geoffrey, I was speaking about my own form of "hodge-bodge" layout and "justifying" the merits of that ;-)
Hmmm...perhaps my reading was too literal? Even now I can't say that I fully grasp it, but that might just be me :-)
GreenWood

Post by GreenWood »

Not just you I should think, but the speaking of English and any related mischievous scribbling is still permitted as far as I know.

There was a thread somewhere here at chiff about the difference in meanings from across the pond, but in truth you would have to be familiar with both the tone and the sense of jest I am using for it to make proper sense. I don't know, I have also heard people complain that everything is too serious nowadays, no wrongfun allowed, that everyone is triggered and hypersensitive, that subtle inuendo has been abolished and so on ...but I also have some american friends who are very funny at times (even there I might have to explain funny as meaning making us laugh and not out of ridicule of them )... though they left the states quite a while back... but I know they just do not understand certain concepts characteristic of England... just a different wavelength as it were, and even where they are able to picture what a person is saying in the above context they don't have the base knowledge of why it might be at all funny... I mean not even that recognition that someone is even just trying to make a joke or isn't being completely serious, whereas others familiar will sense immediately and no matter what is being said that there is an element of jest. It's no-one's fault.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Smileys help. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

That was very enjoyable, thank you for posting it
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

GreenWood wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:10 pm Not just you I should think, but the speaking of English and any related mischievous scribbling is still permitted as far as I know.
I'm afraid you might have taken my misunderstanding as being somehow censorious or critical, and that was not my intent. There is no question of whether personal humor or personal style of expression (or the speaking of English) are "permitted". And I would like to say that the above sentence that I quoted from your reply does come across as a little bit snarky and sarcastic, even if it is clothed in "humor" ;-). It reminds me a bit of Basil Faulty of Faulty Towers fame, responding to an American who complained about the narrow highways in England: "...yes, well most of the English cars have steering wheels"). Sarcasm, while a common humorous device, is also often rather barbed and meant to poke the recipient in some fashion. I agree with you that there is a lot of hyper-sensitivity about, and that certain types of humor are less in favor as a result, but my own generation precedes this cultural shift. I'm far from being a dour or serious person :-)

And I'm most emphatically not criticizing your post, merely trying to pay you the courtesy of understanding it. And as for interpreting the written word, I would suggest (hopefully also without offense) that it was your syntax and the way you structured your sentences that threw me, not my inability to interpret humor. I'm not blind to the subtle nuances of humor in most forms, though I agree that shades of tone and other subtleties don't always translate well in writing--hence the value of nanohedron's suggestions about emoji use :-). And your follow-up explanation does highlight that your original post was based in part upon what I could only call an implicit (not explicit) "inside joke" that was not perceptible in the subtext: "those who look at the premises as only somewhere someone escapes to, or who are upset for feeling they are rejected from it. It isn't always that way round though, I could easily imagine someone being told "...how about you try to finish off that flute you were making dear ?". Clearly I could never have guessed that this was what was in your mind in the original post. But I also know that on forums there is a very conversational way of speaking, and a lot of times folks hammer out a reply and hit the submit button, and posts go up "warts and all". I was a forum admin for many years on a different site and I've seen how often this practice leads to misunderstandings . So when I misunderstood your intended meaning it was directly related to the fact that I couldn't make sense of a couple of sentences and sought clarification. Even now, as I try to clarify my own meaning I'm conscious of how finicky that process might be (and potentially inflammatory, which is why I'm keen to explain myself).

So no offense is intended by any of this. And I don't wish to make a mountain from a molehill, either, but I wished to both understand and be understood since I had already (perhaps mistakenly) entered into a dialog about it.
GreenWood

Post by GreenWood »

"I would like to say that the above sentence that I quoted from your reply does come across as a little bit snarky and sarcastic.."

That is exactly what I mean, or what you say you don't mean. There is a "competition" that is known to exist, the notion of an inferiority on the part of america or americans, particularly cultural, which is played out as something along the lines of an arrogant superiority on the part of the british. So I joke about it, because really we are past that I think? I mean American is not English, and an uptight Brit not having that understood is quite funny, if you very dare ? (Note there is an element of jest in that sentence)

I'm actually laughing (ok, smiling) at that whole show, at both sides of it , but instead you seem on guard for if I am causing offence. For example, of an American in Fawlty Towers, he is COMPLAINING of the highways... ! ... and he receives an appropriate reply. Though the whole scene is prepared beforehand to cast a certain light on Americans, there is a reason for that and why it is found acceptable as funny, to the British at least :-) . The UK has, and often still tries to, defend itself from Americanisation.

This brings to mind Charles Dickens and his reception by, and view of, the US, which was turbulent, if not also pointedly precise on some matters.

I did not set that phrase on language though as a trap, just a ponderable, to see how it was received, because I don't find any difficulty mildly or subtly mocking some English attitudes, though not being American I would not mock any offence taken by you. In fact I much appreciate the sincerity and length of your reply, which was why I bothered and bother to explain.

I don't take you for being dour at all :P

I have spent a fair amount of time on different forums over the years, and in fact would always use an /s tag, but the thing is here I wasn't being sarcastic... it is actually how my workshop (if it could be called one), and order of work, is :-) . If I gave a wink it would seem a bit too cozy or odd, so I didn't include that either. I could have done so for the phrase on language, but decided to leave it open.

The point is maybe , artistic license and all, that I write in the language or style I feel to at that moment. I try not to be misunderstood, but the text is not for those who might misunderstand but for those who might appreciate what is written. I am not a "popularity" sort of person, but don't mean to offend either...I will set people thinking though, play the polemicist or take a slightly controversial stance...and a reader would not know, but the interpretation would be something of a reflection of their own position and not nescessarily of my making, because I try to and tend to leave any conclusion open.

"Even now, as I try to clarify my own meaning I'm conscious of how finicky that process might be (and potentially inflammatory, which is why I'm keen to explain myself)."

I'm really not much the sort to lose my temper or take offence, quite the opposite, but (unfortunately for some maybe, not meaning you ) I will tend to keep anyone to a point in debate, and sometimes that ends in frustration or humiliation for the other. I don't mind being corrected at all, but I will argue out the attempt fully beforehand.

"So no offense is intended by any of this."

No offense was taken at all, I just felt a bit guilty seeing you try to understand what I had written, hoping I hadn't sort of made an embarrassment of you in some way (and that is not meant in any adhom sort of way).

"And I don't wish to make a mountain from a molehill, either, but I wished to both understand and be understood since I had already (perhaps mistakenly) entered into a dialog about it."

Without asking or questioning then a meaning would remain unknown I suppose ? I could easily imagine a less than friendly response some might reply with though, if they felt misinterpreted. That is the funny thing though, some just don't seem able to stand the idea that anyone else might read what is written differently, and so they immediately take offence as if that new interpretation was a personal attack. That is one reason people tend to end up at odds with each other online, they are in direct contact with others but without the various queues that would govern a conversation, say at a table with people recently introduced.

So from my part it is no worries any of this... well... actually... the picture of trying to explain a joke to someone in a scene in Finding Nemo comes to mind... but then I think what I wrote must have raised a smile for someone somewhere, or if not now then another day, so even that :-) .
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'm beginning to wonder if you guys are all using a Google translator to write, because I can't make sense of any of it.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm picturing an exploding thesaurus.... :wink:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Geoffrey Ellis

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

GreenWood wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:42 pm That is exactly what I mean, or what you say you don't mean. There is a "competition" that is known to exist, the notion of an inferiority on the part of america or americans, particularly cultural, which is played out as something along the lines of an arrogant superiority on the part of the british. So I joke about it, because really we are past that I think? I mean American is not English, and an uptight Brit not having that understood is quite funny, if you very dare ? (Note there is an element of jest in that sentence)
I'm only highlighting the above quote for the sake of brevity, since quoting the entire post would just take up a lot of space...

There is no doubt that even among people who share the same language there can be tremendous disconnects in communication. Given my own background I can't subscribe to the idea that this is based upon anything to do with British versus American cultural differences, and illustrating why that is would just create another cumbersome and off-topic post to further baffle my fellow forum members ;-). You seem to be emphasizing this cultural difference as being important in this instance, but I don't find the reasoning convincing, and I don't think that challenging that notion is going to yield any greater understanding. It would be something for a private conversation and not a protracted digression in this setting (i.e. not going to be interesting reading for anyone else and will simply create a massive detour).

But reading your post does remind me that more words does not necessarily mean better understanding (and I'm speaking about my own posts as well). My entire rationale behind this detour from the topic was to try to understand your original post, which I took to be a serious description of something related to the topic of workshops, production methods, etc.. Your explanation of the humor that was intended didn't necessarily make it any more understandable to me, and quite possibly (given the subjective nature of humor and the limits of the written word) no amount of explanation would make it clearer. And that is perfectly acceptable.

I read somewhere that something like 80% of human communication is non-verbal, which (if accurate) underlines the difficulties that come about when people try to communicate using nothing but written words.

So, as long as all is well and no unintended offense given, that is great. Sometimes that is the best we can hope for :-)
Last edited by Geoffrey Ellis on Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.