e flat key

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

e flat key

Post by jim stone »

I have some keyless Flutes, and I want to install an E flat key. As the cross fingers work, I will be able to play Baroque music. I've contacted Jon C He has answered that I would do better with someone who specializes in Post mounting Keys or uses a plate. Anybody know somebody who will do this? Naturally I would prefer somebody on the American side of the Big Puddle. Kind regards
Flutern
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: e flat key

Post by Flutern »

Maurice Reviol does this, but he's in New Zealand.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Post or plate mounting certainly makes this a fairly straightforward task. I can say this quite comfortably as I don't do post mounting!

It is possible to graft on a block and do block mounting, which arguably fits the baroque visual aesthetic better. That's more readily done in blackwood, which is mostly black, rather than coloured woods where matching the colour and grain can be pretty tricky (especially as you're trying to match finished timber with unfinished timber). Another catch is if the rest of the flute is finished in say a high gloss finish, the new block needs to match that finish. Easiest for the original maker or someone in touch with the original maker to do.

Another approach would be to get a replacement foot with an Eb key. Again easiest for the original maker, but not impossible for other makers. Will cost a bit more of course.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What I'm realizing is that Many good keyless flutes, if you add an E flat key, can play everything a six key flute can play. I have some lovely keyless flutes, you see, and I'm playing all sorts of music where an E flat key comes in handy, e.g., middle eastern, Indian, Blues, Baroque music, klezmer, jazz, Classical. The idea of being liberated from other keys is appealing. Will someone tell me what you do with the plate?
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

It's a variant of post mounting, or sometimes a cross between post and block. In the more regular post-mounted form, the posts screw directly into the wood on very short, fat, coarse threads. In this form the two posts or block or brackets that support the key axle are mounted on a plate that runs between them. The plate is then secured to the wood via 2 or more short screws.

Not that common in the old days - I don't seem to have an example in my collection. But this image of a flute by the American maker Catlin from Rick Wilson's site provides us with an example:

Note on the long keys (long F and upper C), the plate is long, to provide the lateral guidance we "blockheads" usually use two separate blocks each for.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Might I be so bold as to make a suggestion. What Terry says about it being somewhat more aesthetically accessible to graft a block of Blackwood to a Blackwood flute is true. But if the flute is a Baroque flute of another type of wood, what would the aesthetic objection be to use an artificial block of Ivory or Amber substitute?

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks everybody. Terry, the picture says it all. The question remains who if anybody on this side of the big puddle makes post or plate mounted keys. I do have some keyless flutes with the E flat key, and they perform about as well as the six keyed flute. Liberating. Less expensive!
Ben Shaffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Some Clarinet Repair People could do this,maybe even one in your Hometown :poke: