The Copley arrived!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dave Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

As usual, it came at a time when I knew it was in the post office, couldn't get there, and had to wait until the next day. :smile: Mine's in rosewood, more medium brown with some faint red highlights near the tail. The extra headjoint is white delrin, made to appear like an old-fashioned ivory head, and he did a nice job of it. The white delrin goes especially nice with the patterned ferrols. All sections are secured with cork except of course the tuning slide, which is three interlocking brass tubes (wow). The overall workmanship is wonderful, although a wee bit rough at the end of the flute where the ferrol is fitted, but that is REALLY getting picky. Sound: the wood head is warm, with good volume and a nice bell note. No excessive brreathiness anywhere and a great response, even for a rank beginner like me. The delrin head is capable of a wonderfully reedy edge, which I play just to hear it! It's pretty forgiving of sloppy hands (thank goodness) and I can pretty much manage the second hand on it, even with my tiny paws. It came with a black plastic case which is obviously a pistol case, but works just peachy. I took it to work today and had 2 flautists just drooling all over it. Initial impression? Awesome, a huge step up from the Sweet or Poe I have, and something I'll probably be keeping for a long, long time. Many thanks to the folks who recommended that I choose a Copley.... I owe ya a beer someday.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

oh, and btw.... those of you who are thinking of getting a flute from Dave Migoya, my transaction through him was highly satisfactory.... da dude knows his stuff. Now if I can just start saving for a Saccama without getting caught by the little lady......
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

glad you're liking the flute, Dave
....copley and I are conversing on getting the proper oil for you so that foot joint will handled the climatic issues that seem to have hit it in the last few days.
odd, for sure, but it will work out easily once I figure the rosewood oil that David needs to use.
and many thanks for the plug
I'm here to match players to flutes/whistles and am really enjoying it!
(not to mention all the playing time I get on these things!)
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

Hi Dave...
Now that you've had it for a whole week, how about a full review of your new Copley... enquiring minds want to know. Thanks

Tod
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Who made the second head delrin head?
eubiedubie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by eubiedubie »

The delrin head was made by Copley.After buying the flute I developed a sensitivity
and at the time thought a delrin head would
be the answer but it turned out even the oil
on my hands from playing was causing a problem.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Dave....now that you've had the Copley
for WEEKS, how about a good review. Stan,
Tod and other inquiring minds want to know.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Eubie... when you have the time, gimme a thumbnail history of my flute, eh?
As far as a review... hmmm. So far I have nothing but praise for the thing. The wood mouthpiece is capable of everything from a soft, rounded sound which seems to favor the bell note, to a really edgy, cutting sound which really belts out the mid to upper bottom octave. I haven't tried it above D"' but it plays wonderfully up to that. Moisture doesn't really affect the tone like it does a whistle. The tone is really enchanting, in fact I've had to store it away from where I study or I don't get a darned thing read. The workmanship is great and the slides all work well whether dry or wet. The delrin mouthpiece is more subdued, being capable of a very reedy sound up near the tuning plug but less volume in my hands than the wood mouthpiece. Using the delrin head, the upper octave has a very classical 'concert flute' sound. I haven't had much time on other flutes but it beats the snot out of at least 2 other brands I have tried, and I think it's worth every penny.
KPKelley

Post by KPKelley »

I'd like to hear some about where to order a Copley, how much they cost, how long a wait there is, and if there is a web site to check them out. Thanks for the help.

Kevin-
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Dave Copley's Website...
I don't own one of his flutes, but sometimes use the website when my mouth gets too dry:

http://www.celticlands.com/page3.html
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I've been to Dave's shop, just a few miles from me. He does wonderfull work, he has a simple shop and pays close attention to details - a real craftsman.