Inline/offset G, open or closed holes Question.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lifeforms
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Scotland, home of the haggis, heather and whiskey! Yummy!!

Post by Lifeforms »

Hello!

Me again. Im at the point where im getting ready to buy a new flute. But i have a few more questions.

Would i be better with an open holed flute, or a closed hole flute?
and
Would i be better with a offset G, or an inline G?
Whats the difference between the open and closed holes, and also the offset and inline G's?

I really really do appreciate the help that you guys have given me!
hmartley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I wanted to post my whistle that’s for sale. I hope this is OK, I haven’t posted for a long time.

Post by hmartley »

Hi. I would highly recommend an open hole flute. It's really not that hard to get used to, and it opens up the sound tremendously. You will grow out of a closed hole in no time. Most modern pro Boehm flutes (that I know of anyway) are open holed, so why not start now? Also, you get more tone/pitch shading options if you later decide to play 20th century music (with cool effects and stuff).

If it is too wierd at first, you can stop the holes with cork pads. They can be removed one by one as you get used to the holes. But most people are able to go cold turkey.

The inline G works well for me, and my hands are only normal sized. But if you have really short fingers you might go for offset. I don't think it would make any difference tone- or intomation-wise.

Good luck!

Heather