FLute playing - if your good or not

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lifeforms
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Scotland, home of the haggis, heather and whiskey! Yummy!!

Post by Lifeforms »

Is there any way to tell if you are actually good or not? I'm looking for a new flute, but the thought has crossed my mind that maybe its not the flute, its me heh

As i dont have anyone i can compair to (or know of any good players) it would be interesting to find out. I mean i know im not great at it, but I think i can get by with it, but with it starting to sound a bit bad. i do wonder! :lol:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Lifeforms

I to wonder if my endeavour in learning to play the flute will amount to anything good, bad or indifferent. I am having a rough time with it, not having a teacher, reading/listening to tons of stuff on how to, and don't want to do it over the internet.

But I put it in perspective. I didn't know anything about a bodhran or tin whistle, twelve years ago. Today, I teach the bodhran and play the whistle with some competency.

The flute is a hard instrument to master, but I like the sound of it and will work hard, and plug away slowly.

And regardless of what instrument you play, there are moments of self doubt that sneak up on you, when things just aren't going that great at that moment. When that happens with me, I put the instrument down and leave it for a few days, most times that works.

Lifeform you didn't say how long you have been playing and what if any level you think you are at. Philosophically everybody who is creative in the arts has these moments of "WHY." Some bang on, some leave it for a while, some drop it and run in the other direction. Only you can answer that question for yourself.

Who are you thinking of comparing yourself to. Someone you know, someone on a recording. Where do you see yourself going with this, and what do you want to accomplish? Are questions that you seem to be asking yourself. Only you can find those answers.

Music is a trip, life is a journey.

MarkB
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Tape record yourself playing, then listen to the tracks over and over with a critical ear. you'll know pretty quickly if you're sounding the way you'd like others to hear you and what you should work on.
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

Hello!

I dont mean that im stuck where I am. Rather than i am starting to question if i am advancing, or just stuck at the same point, and sounding bad along the lines. Ok maybe i do mean im stuck where i am. :???:

Before it was so easy to know that i am actually advancing, being able to make sounds, to learning the basic fingering, to playing proper tunes. But now that ive gone past that its difficult to spot if ive improved. I think seeking out lessons would be a good thing for me to do, or atleast a session with someone who teaches and is a heck of a lot better than me, who can tell me about this.

And with the flute not sounding its best, it makes me think again its me not the flute.
I am actually finding it very difficult playing it at the moment. Painfully difficult almost. It hard to explain, but it sounds awful. Ok not that bad, but it doesnt sound good, and i dont like that feeling, and find that im playing less and less on it. Even though i really want to play on it.

I'm going to see if i can seek out another flute to use, and see if that improves it. A rental flute will do to try out the theory of it being the flute and not me.
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Just enjoy it, let it enrich your life...then all the rest doesn't matter.

...but if you wake up one day with a great attitide and sound like Matt Malloy, please let me know your secret.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

At a guess, Lifeforms, you've probably let your embouchure slip into something a little strange and you might want to go back to doing some very basic exercises and experiment with your focus... drills aren't nearly as much fun as playing tunes, but if you're not getting the sound you want...

The other thing is, if you don't play with a metronome at all, you may have increased your pace to the point that you're not able to fully sound your notes... try playing some slow airs and such? I've certainly had to slow my whistle playing down, though on the flute I am miles and miles away from the point where I'm at risk of out-playing the responsiveness of the instrument. :wink:

--Chris
whamlyn

Post by whamlyn »

Hey Lifeforms,

I've been playing the flute for about a year, the whistle for about five, and the guitar for as long as I can remember and the question "Am I getting any better?" has been something that I've asked myself many many times regardless of the instrument. Sometimes after playing a lot (many hours a day, days at a time) I find that I reach a point where my playing doesn't improve, in fact it almost seems to get worse. I'm not talking about messing up a roll or stumbling over a particular phrase, it's like my whole playing gets taken down a notch... it can be pretty depressing. So, being totally disgusted with the whole thing I'll usually end up tossing the flute/whistle/guitar aside for a few days and find something else to do (i.e. study, clean up my apartment).

Then something strange happens, the next time I pick up my flute/whistle/guitar I can play again... even better than I could before! I know, sounds kind of odd but it really happens, it's like my fingers have had time to digest everything that my mind was telling them to do a few days before only now they can do it. My timing is better, my accuracy is better, and everything is right with the world. I guess what I'm trying to say in a rather long-winded fashion is that learning to play an instrument, any instrument, is filled with highs and lows (pardon the pun). Don't get discouraged if you're having a bad day or a bad week, it happens to just about everyone. That's my two cents...

Take care,
Wes
drummerboy

Post by drummerboy »

Wham took the words right out of my mouth. Its like it takes time for the hard work to sink in.
KenWolman

Post by KenWolman »

Good as compared to <i>what</i>? I have spent the morning listening to Laurence Nugent and Kevin Crawford CDs at my desk. I played them through the speakers rather than through headphones. Nobody complained. Maybe that defines <i>good</i> in the context of Irish flute-playing--"when people who don't necessarily care for Irish music don't throw things at you."
<p>
Personally speaking, I have been playing the Irish flute for almost a year and personally speaking, I stink. I stink less on the whistle because the whistle doesn't demand the kind of embouchure control a flute requires.
<p>
Would I like to be better? Sure. In fact, I'm better than when I started out. My animals don't hide under the furniture when I haul the Cronnolly out of the case anymore (hmmm, nice lilt to that phrase). Will I ever be <i>great</i> at it or good enough to haul myself into a session and not get bashed over the head with a bodhran? Unlikely. Does it matter that much to me? Not especially. I don't plan much of anything these days, I just listen, work on my embouchure, try to learn tunes, and stop worrying about whether anyone but me and whoever else is listening think I'm any good.
<p>
If I ever have the means to hire a teacher, <i>then</I> I'll worry about him or her taking the flute and bashing me over the head with it. Until then, why worry? It's for your entertainment first. If it isn't...well, someone else can finish the sentence.
<p>
I've played for two people who were very important to me. One was my mother. The other was Dorothy Day. It doesn't matter that they are both dead. One can play at a graveside and feel the presence of the departed, and play with as much fervor as for a live audience.
<p>
And you know that they won't at least be sloshed out of their skulls.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KenWolman on 2002-06-28 15:25 ]</font>
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

If you want to convince yourself that you're a lousy player, it's really very simple: Sell all your flutes, then go buy yourself a Pratten. :lol:

Loren "Weak lip" B.
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

I played on someones old boosey and hawkes yesterday. It was good! Couldnt play much on it, as it was rather sticky on some of the keys/pads/ or springs, so quite often sounded a bit out of tune, but it was still good!

I think part of the problem is that the flute im using has been going "bad" for a while now and its only now that its become really apparent to me. I dont know, maybe this is the "waking up and suddenly it not working" that i had joked about in my purchasing of a flute thread. Now that im looking its become apparent. The flute cant be that bad, but it could be that i have out grown it. It's quite a interesting phenomena for me! That you outgrow flutes. I always did wonder why musicians plumped for very expensive (£1K +) flutes, when you can get good ones lower priced. Now i know.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On reading your last post, I can't help but wonder if your current flute is needing repair and has actually become unplayable (by anyone!).

While you are looking for a new flute, you may want to consider having your current flute checked out by a repairman. If you request a repair quote, they won't do anything but tell you how much it'll cost to make it playable, and you can decide if you want to spend that much.

It doesn't have to be an expensive repair, either. One adjustment screw one-quarter turn off will make the whole flute unplayable.

I sympathize in your search for a better flute--I remember many years ago when it was me--but one thing that is very true about flutes is that a beginner flute in good repair will outplay a professional instrument that needs work done.

This is just a thought, mind--it may not apply in your case. But I thought I'd share it just on the off chance that you may actually have a decent flute but one that is out of repair.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Lifeforms

Post by Lifeforms »

Thank you for that thought. Its difficult with repairing here, people are so few and far between. It was on the path to repair that I was told it probably would be a fair amount to have it completly done. (i know alone some of the springs are bent) And thats when the oppourtinity to buy came up. I do think that i need a better flute, and dont really want to spend money on my current flute when I will buy another one soon. I shall just keep this flute for posterity, and maybe in the future sort it out.
CathyT

Post by CathyT »

I play wooden flute, metal flute and fiddle and consider myself a 'beginner' on all three. I KNOW that my playing on the metal flute (classical) is not good enough to merit another instrument (and I've worked hardest at it and played for 9 years)... therefore nothing will persuade me to spend plus £1000 on another. That's what it would take to actually make my playing better as IT IS NOW on a different instrument. My flute teacher told me you 'know' when you have outgrown your current instrument..if you are an honest person, she's right.

On the fiddle, my teacher lent me a second fiddle to replace my own without my even thinking about a replacement (although I knew mine was rubbish, even after only 1 year)and I really feel happy with the replacement/lent instrument - it did actually make me sound better although my natural inclination was to assume that the horror I was producing was entirely my fault.. can't imagine wanting another fiddle for the next twenty years. (If she lends it for as long!)

Wooden flute - I had the inbetweeny feeling you are talking about (and no helpful teacher to advise). I therefore (after 3 years) ventured to buy another (wilkes) flute in Jan/Feb this year. Verdict.. it is NOT easier to play fingerwise - I did not gain any speed or some of the other blessings I imagined would come my way. But it is easier to blow - and that's quite important in the first few years of wooden flute, I think? And when I play well (not often!) - it SOUNDS BETTER and so much sweeter...non flute players notice a difference. I made the right choice, but I took a while to do it. ..So I think when you want to buy another instrument you take time and really ask yourself to be honest with yourself about your own playing. I do not now sound like Matt Molloy on my new flute (part of me imagined I would!) .if you are being completely modest and self-effacing about your own playing and consider the whole thing for three months or so - then stil want a better flute.. go for it ... and spend as much as you can on a better instrument. You will instantly notice the difference and you will have something you can 'grow into' as your playing improves over the next ten years...Whatever way its a hard decision. The great thing is to assume first its YOUR problem rather than the instrument's deficiency and if you still can't shake the desire for a new one.. then DO IT! (If you are a self-doubting sort of person, then you probably deserve a new flute NOW... !!)