Bottom Dropped Out

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
apossibleworld
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Bottom Dropped Out

Post by apossibleworld »

Rob Sharer wrote:
apossibleworld wrote:
Rob Sharer wrote:Hey man, I argue all the time about crap I don't even care about.
Rob
Great, glad you've explained.
Don't jump to conclusions...I actually care about that other crap. This crap too.

Rob
you gotta admit, you did kinda set yourself up for it. I may have a low post-count, but if you regulars can take over any ol thread with in-jokes, then you can't complain about me joining in. It's tough to find the time, of course, given my rigorous schedule of trying out many many old flutes :)
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Knock yourself out.

Rob
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cubitt wrote:And if you think your opinion is beyond doubt I'll just have to live with your distain.
I have no idea how you arrive at the notion that I would consider my opinions beyond doubt or, if I did, why that would logically mean disdain on my part.

What I do know is that in English, the formation "If [something] is so [superlative], then why [thus-and-such]?" is a time-honored, conventional, and consistent idiomatic form for registering grave doubts specifically about that [something]. It's as good in print as it is when spoken, so this is one case where vocal nuance is unneeded. To date I have never heard or read it used with anything less than a "convince me" implication, so since you say that such is not your intended usage I can only conclude that either 1) English is not your first language, 2) English is your first language but you somehow have a disconnection with the conventions of general usage and therefore being clear can be rather difficult at times for you, or 3) you know exactly what you said and are backpedaling.

Whatever. The horse is sounding more liquid with each blow, and that raises unsavory prospects about leakages and other emissions, so Heaven grant I'm done.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Okay, Nano, you got me. I might as well come clean. I'm actually a rep for a Pakastani firm that makes flutes. My goal is to gradually get everyone on this site to stop buying flutes from Patrick Olwell in the hope that they will come to us instead.

Goshdarnit! I should have known you'd see right through my ruse! You're just too sharp for the likes of me, so you are.

I surrender to your superior intellect and your insight to the fact that English is only my second language. I shall be more careful in future posts.

So, . . how you say? . . .that's all, folks!
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cubitt wrote:I'm actually a rep for a Pakastani firm that makes flutes.
If you had said "makes flute-like objects", we'd KNOW you were kidding. You're not making it easy for us, you know. :poke:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

If there's a lesson in this mess, it's that you can't un-ring a bell.

We all write things on here and get slagged for it. You can clarify your remarks, defend your position or abandon it, but once it's down in black and white you can't disown it. It's there to be read, and unless you're one of our poets chances are folks will know what you meant, later protestations aside.

Rob
Denny

Post by Denny »

I often need a translator :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Cubitt

Post by Cubitt »

Rob Sharer wrote:If there's a lesson in this mess, it's that you can't un-ring a bell.
Rob
No, Rob, if there's a lesson to be learned, it's to make your point and move on. I'm the one being called out, so I feel compelled to continue to respond, but for you and some others to think you are scoring points by saying the same thing over and over again. . .

Are you that desperate for me to say, "Oh my gosh, Rob! You're right! How could I have been so blind!"? Sheesh, I've already said as much to Nano, above. Can you just give it a rest?
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain