What is it about cocus?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: What is it about cocus?

Post by LorenzoFlute »

So is real cocuswood lighter in colour then the other one? Do they smell the same?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Othannen wrote:So is real cocuswood lighter in colour then the other one? Do they smell the same?
The real Cocuswood can get dark, but not black. That is the give away, the scent is different. The madagascar ebony smells like mildewed dirty clothes when you turn it. The fresh stuff, and the antique wood both smell as bad... This wood was used on a lot of German flutes.
Your old HY Potter flute is Cocuswood.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Thalatta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Thalatta »

Jon, regarding that "lovely Fentum" of yours pictured above: can you tell me what the stamp says? What address? Thanks!

Looks like you have a few different Fentums, no?
Shane
Thalatta
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Thalatta wrote:Jon, regarding that "lovely Fentum" of yours pictured above: can you tell me what the stamp says? What address? Thanks!

Looks like you have a few different Fentums, no?
Shane
Sorry for the delay, didn't see the post...
Fentum
36 Queens Row
Walworth
London

Correction: The Fentum is Cocuswood, I had to replace the socket, the newly turned wood revealed nice bright cocuswood... The flute must have been acid stained to darken it so much!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
plamas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plamas »

Just spotted this thread. Hm...have to say that I completely disagree about this "cocus and real cocus" idea . I've restored and made flutes in cocus for more than 30 years, and apart from the fact that some flutes thought to be cocus ( auction catalogues are notoriously inaccurate in this regard) are in fact various rosewoods,and the other way round, all the rest of the cocus easily falls into the natural variation which you'll find in any wood, both in grain pattern, colour, and smell. ( which is immense!)
Re Kokra wood, I think we need a lot more than one dictionary ref to make such a sweeping statement as"the antique flutes from Britian, were mostly made from a wood that came from India, Kokra wood not the Cocuswood from the West Indies."
Surely if this were the case it would be easy to establish shipping and import records for this timber in 19th century London?
I think you need to back this up with some evidence.
All the Best
Hammy