Variations in Metzler scaling

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Variations in Metzler scaling

Post by Terry McGee »

jemtheflute wrote: Well, I'm in Spain and it is in Wales.... but I'm pretty sure I'd have transcribed exactly what is stamped - it just says "Metzler London". And I don't place too much faith in Langwill (fantastic resource, but only has what it has..... it isn't definitive) or the consistency of these old firms' stamping policies.
Hmmm, Spain to Wales doesn't look much further than Sydney to Melbourne!

I will be interested to see what it actually says. I agree that Langwill is only the start, not the end. There was talk at EUCHMI of doing a project to update the NLI and get it on-line, but I haven't heard anything recently.

I followed up those links you supplied, and added what I could to my Marks page:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Keymarks.htm

Note I've snitched your H&I image, let me know if that's a problem and I'll unsnitch it. It seems to me we need all the stuff in one place if we are ever going to be able to make sense of it.
Also, I saw in another thread one of my searches turned up that Jon C once appears to have implied he'd had an actual Liddle flute - not sure if he meant the flute was stamped Liddle or just the usual AL keys......
Certainly it would be good to hear from Jon on this or anyone who has a flute marked Liddle!

Enjoy the tapas and vino rojo (I know I would)! Avoid bulls with lances sticking out of them and keep tilting at windmills to within World Health Organisation Recommended Maximum Daily Limits. Hear from you when you get back!

Terry
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Thanks for that dunnp, I've added the Good and the Metzler to the marks page. I think Good was a dealer - certainly no mention in NLI. I think the evidence might be suggesting that Metzlers might have been dealers all or most of the way too. But let's see how the story unfolds as we get more info.
dunnp wrote:I think the first time I'd heard of the al stamp was from Ciaran Carson in his book where he reports it on a Goulding and D almaine.
Interesting. Anyone got the book? It seems odd - G & D' were listed to 1834, and AL after 1847.
Maybe more evidence that Liddle only supplied the keys?

How do we know AL stands for Liddle at all?
The NLI reports the mark associated with Liddle but doesn't go into detail. There's a Liddle flute in the DCM but no mention of marks under keys or anything useful like that. George Howarth (which let to Howarth the oboe makers) worked for Liddle.

I think we need to start pulling all the available Liddle information together onto a special Liddle page - that often has the effect of bringing more info out of the woodwork, and allowing us to see connections we might otherwise miss.

Terry
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

No prob at all, Terry.

FWIW, southern Spain (Malaga airport) to N Wales (Liverpool airport) is a c 3hr flight - and an hour or so's car travel each end. It's about 1,120 miles or 1,800 kilometers as the crow flies from my parents home to mine.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Thanks, Jem.

On the Liddle front, I've created a new page so we can start gathering stuff there. Some interesting stuff already:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Liddle.htm

I'll start a new thread so these don't get too entangled.

Terry
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Now, back to the Metzler front, can I draw everyone's attention to the shape of the Long F key on the last two Metzler Siccama flutes on:

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Metzler_Flutes.htm

Here's one of them:

Note how the spring comes in straight from after the bend rather than bending down from before it as on earlier flutes. Where have we seen that style before? Perhaps on a Hawkes or similar later flute?

Terry
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

jemtheflute wrote:(NB It appears I posted the measurements of the one against the address of the other in that other thread - ooops! Correct here.)
WRONG!
Well, I've now been able to check the 3 Metzlers I've mentioned in the flesh.... and the first thing to say is I was wrong about which measurements belonged to which flute in my post up-thread - I got them the right way round in the other, older thread I borrowed them from. :oops: The "classic" Liddle-keyed one is the one with the "Metzler London" stamp and the ?later?, Frenchified one is the one with the "Metzler & Co. 37 Great Marlborough St." main stamp.

Here are the comparative dimensions again (definitely correctly attributed!!!) - with some minor remeasurement corrections (sorry if that garbles any stuff you've used 'em for, Terry....) and including the third flute (belonging to my friend), also with the "Metzler & Co. 37 Great Marlborough St." stamp and two definitely "A.L" stamped keys (plus 3 "possibles") - another classic Liddle/Metzler flute. I have added in 3 extra measurements of tone-hole spacing chiefly to try to illustrate the site of one major discrepancy between the two Liddle-keyed flutes in particular, which will be apparent in the photos which follow.

Key: OL = Overall Length; SL = Sounding Length; Em-BE = centre of embouchure to lower end of barrel, slide closed; the rest should be obvious - hole-centre to hole-centre. The last three columns are: GHz = Hz reading for G with slide closed; G-SE = Slide Extension to obtain a G tuned to 392Hz (A=440); HS= (subjective) Hole Size, where S = small (very small, like French style), SM = Small Medium (R&R smaller style), LM = Large Medium (R&R larger style) and L = Large (Pratten style).

Code: Select all

Maker               Address                   OL  SL  Em-BE Em-C# C#-E C#-Eb Eb-end GHz G-SE HS C#-A A-G G-E
Metzler (A.L)       London                   660  570  155  215   194   250   105   408  15   L  69   55  68
Metzler & Co. (A.L) 37 Great Marlborough St. 659  581  151  217   198   252   111   N/A  N/A  L  69   59  68
Metzler & Co. (Fr?) 37 Great Marlborough St. 671  590  158  220   198   260   112   398   6  SM  69   61  68
Here are some comparative photos of the two Liddle-keyed Metzlers. (Sorry, they aren't brilliant photography! - done on pool table in pub during session.....) In all these shots, the flute at the top is my shorter-scaled one and the one at the bottom my friend's longer-scaled one. Note that they have near-identical overall lengths! (Much of the difference is in the "dead" space on the stopper side of the embouchure, but the body and foot joints of my friend's one are all just a little longer than mine. His has a notably flat G, otherwise decent intonation with moderate flat foot. Mine has a very sharp E (hence the wax), otherwise decent intonation, not much flat foot.

I didn't try to photograph the maker stamps on the wood, but my friend's has the full "Metzler & Co. 37 Great Marlborough St. London" stamp on the barrel and foot and the head and both body sections have just "Metzler & Co." Mine has just "Metzler London" on head, barrel and upper body, nothing at all on lower body and foot.

The shots of the flutes full length are with them lined up at different points - see captions. Obviously the fish-eye curvature effect of the lense makes true positional comparisons impossible, especially away from the centre of the shot, but I still think one can see the point I was trying to illustrate:

Aligned at the embouchure

Aligned at the C# hole (L1)

Aligned at the E hole (R3)

Aligned at the foot end

The heads & barrels (non-original crown on top flute), aligned at the barrel ends

The assembled bodies, aligned at the upper body shoulders (I think...)

Detail of the tone-holes

The upper bodies, aligned at the top shoulder

The lower bodies, aligned at the socket rims

Foot joints, aligned at the socket rims (4 shots) and showing comparative details of the keys

Aligned at the foot ends

Shots comparing the keys of the body joints

Note the distinctive Liddle assymmetrical Eb keys

The "A.L" stamp on the touch of the long C key of my friend's flute - it is complete and a nice clear example, but necessarily obscured by the buffer cork

Here are some other shots of the key stamps on this flute (The 37 Gt Marlborough St one) taken in a hurry and badly lit when I had it stripped down for overhaul a couple of years back:

The long F key...............................................The C key
Image Image

Possible vestigial stamps - they may only be casting blemishes.tool marks.....
on the Eb key................................................the Bb key...................and the G# key
Image Image Image

The whole set of keys

The barrel and foot stamps with the address....
Image Image

....and the other three "Metzler & Co. London" stamps on the head and the body sections

And here are the key and body stamps of my "#054" "Metzler London" - again, rubbish photography, sorry!

Keys - definite stamps on the long C and Bb keys, possible faint "A"s visible on the low C and Eb touches

Maker stamps on barrel, head and upper body

OK. Now for the other, rather different one. First, a written description, then some (rather better quality :) ) photos.

It is a cocuswood and German Silver (maillechort) 8-key simple system concert flute stamped "Metzler & Co. 37 Great Marlborough St. London" on the barrel and "Metzler & Co. London" on all other joints. The flute has been fitted with modern clarinet pads and is playable, but is in need of cleaning and further work.

The moderately broad ferrule rings are chased or stamped with a simple geometric pattern. The head is only part-lined and the apparently copper tube has the remains of silver plating inside and out. The barrel has a sterling silver sleeve fitted over the copper liner for the protruding part and the interior also has a residue of silvering. There are crudely (?Araldite or similar?) glue-repaired cracks in the barrel and in the lower body and foot sockets. The crown is not original (looks home-made) and does not attach or belong to the stopper mechanism, which may also not be original, being very much like a modern Böhm stopper - metal face plate on a threaded rod with a metal disc at the other end securing the cork in place.

The salt-spoon style keys are pillar mounted and the pivots are of the screw (into the far pillar) type, not just push-pins. The points of the key-arms extend about ⅔ of the way across the cups (rather further than the c ⅖ across Liddle type!). The Eb touch is quite symmetrical and tear-drop-shaped like those of the other short keys, also not Liddle-esque. The grasshopper low C# and C keys have padded cups, not pewter plugs, but quite narrow hockey-stick touches in a style somewhat reminiscent of earlier times than most of the other features. All the leaf springs are steel, attached to the keys by steel through-rivets (double rivets on the low C# & C touches) (not by sprue rivets) and their working ends rest on grooved rectangular GS inserts in the body. I have not as yet removed, stripped and cleaned the keys, but I cannot see any probable trace of any stamps on their undersides. The keys and other aspects of the flute seem to me very French-influenced (bar the spring rivets – the French usually used screws), perhaps suggesting production by an émigré craftsman.

The flute seems as-is to play at A=440 with only a small slide extension and with generally good intonation, though it does have a noticeably flat foot.

Assembled flute

Disassembled flute

The stamps

Detail of barrel stamp (main, full text)

One of the other stamps

The decorated rings (except for foot terminal)

The keys

Profile of long F key (see Terry's comments above about the change in design...)

Detail of long C key spring etc.

Detail of long F key spring etc.

Long C and F keys showing the through-rivets on the outer sides of the key-shanks

Foot keys showing double spring rivetting on C#/C shanks

Undersides of foot keys showing spring rivetting etc.

Terry, feel free to harvest/make use of any of this. :)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Here are a couple more current eBay spots of (early looking) Metzlers you may wish to elicit measurements for (and maybe key stamp investigations of, though I wouldn't really expect them to have any) from the vendors, Terry?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220983293984 - in GB
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160771682333 - in NZ

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Jem :puppyeyes:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Othannen wrote:Jem :puppyeyes:
:-?

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I was just shocked for the length of your post :thumbsup:
Ignore my useless comment!
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Denny

Post by Denny »

it's the pictures,

I'm sure Jim still has him for word count. :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

New eBay Metzler - I think (but don't know) that the vendor is an alter ego or partner of Phil('s Historic Instruments) - similar style of ad, use of stock numbers on post labels, Newent is very close to Gloucester....... so I'd be a little doubtful how much help you may get if you query for measurements and key stamps.... Can't hurt to try. FWIW, I'm pretty sure those aren't Liddle keys this time (butt-ended, not pointed key arms, symmetrical Eb key.......)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums