It's a small point, but. . .

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: It's a small point, but. . .

Post by Steampacket »

"since about 1990, in a noticeable way, with roots back to, oh, maybe 1975! Grand old tradition. Which is to say, "(very rude words thought but not typed)". Jemtheflute.
Er...Jem, you should prehaps read what I wrote. I did not say that modern keyless flutes were old traditional instruments, but they are indeed part of, a continuation of, a "grand old tradition" of "simple" wind instruments with six finger holes found in many folk music cultures, and therefore especially suitable for devotees of the traditional dance tunes of Ireland.

Modern keyless flutes are specially suited for playing the "old" traditional tunes of Ireland, whereas I'd say keyed flutes are more suitable for "neo-trad" modern tunes that make use of accidentals :)

Neo-trad music on neo-trad flutes." Jemtheflute

Before modern makers started making keyless flutes, many of the Irish traditional musicians would remove the keys, and plug the fingerholes of their old English flutes. Keyed flutes aren't necessary for Irish trad. They are nice although somewhat expensive, you can play "trad" and "neo-trad tunes" on them, and the keys stop the flute rolling of the session table, but as I said the true path to enlightenment, tranquility, and financal solvency is a wooden flute with six fingerholes, no unnecessary metal to trip you up :thumbsup:

"The fact that ITM took advantage of disused old keyed classical flutes and recycled them for their predominantly key not really required repertoire does not make it a tradition derivative of the other." Talasiga.
Exactly :)
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

MTGuru wrote:
mutepointe wrote:As a Californian, maybe you've learned something today.
Well, mute, I tried to save you from yourself. But OK, let me see if I have your lesson straight.

You assumed (incorrectly) that my objection is because of the state where I happen to live, where we happen to have a lot of those brown people around who might actually care about such things. Your state, on the other hand, is mostly free of those pesky brown people, as I can verify for myself in the USA Census Demographics. Therefore it's OK in WV conversations to ignore what they might think. Except that they do make mighty tasty tacos and enchiladas. Is that about it?

Actually, let's assume that's not it, because I know you're a nicer person than that. Let's assume instead that your OT post was a fiendishly clever ploy to do Cubitt a huge favor and put this thread out of its misery. :lol:
There seem to be a lot of assumptions going on.
I assumed that since Califonia is contiguous to Mexico, which United States a person may be discussing may be more in question than in a state far, far away from Mexico.

I know your comment about "pesky brown people" was meant to be a joke. I didn't laugh. My point about the census data was for you to see that there are very few Hispanic people in West Virginia. Since there are more Hispanic people in California, this may provide yet a second possibility why which United States a person may be talking about may be more in question. The diversity figures are improving in West Virginia.

I am now through explaining myself. Since you seem inclined to prefer to have the last word in whatever subject is discussed, as as a Moderator you should deserve that perk. I will gladly give you the last word and won't comment on your next post regarding my reply.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

Steampacket wrote:
"The fact that ITM took advantage of disused old keyed classical flutes and recycled them for their predominantly key not really required repertoire does not make it a tradition derivative of the other." Talasiga.

Goodness Gracious! Someone
* actually understood what I said, and
* also agrees with it.
:)

I must be losing my grip
:o
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

talasiga wrote: I must be losing my grip
Which grip is that? Rockstro, pipers, some special Bansuri grip? :)
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

talasiga wrote:
Steampacket wrote:

Goodness Gracious! Someone
* actually understood what I said, and
* also agrees with it.
:)

I must be losing my grip

i don't know that i can remember anybody every agreeing with Talisiga... the times they are a changin'
(btw... i agree, too... but i won't tell anybody.)
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.