Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Anzer wrote:I cant seem to be able to upload pics into a message...any tips?
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=23407
Anzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any info on this?

Post by Anzer »

Hi Guys,

wondering if any of you know anything about this type of flute. Been around the house for years, but no one seems to know where it originated! Ive recently been playing it so just thought id try to get some more info on it.

Thanks

Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

are you sure the parts belong together? (look for branding)
looks like a keyless with a classic head stuck on to me.
anyone know more?

berti
all music is what awakes within you
when you are reminded of it by the instrument.
walt whitman
Anzer

Post by Anzer »

Hello! Hmm i seem to have posted the same post twice! Anyway...it has been concluded that its a eugene lambe flute...check out the ' anyone recognize this flute thread'. sorry for the repetition, i did not think that the pictures worked the first time so i tried again!
Lycante

Post by Lycante »

Last edited by Lycante on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean the whole world's not out to get me.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi, Lycante, and welcome. Your flute is German (or possibly Czech/Austrian) made, probably between 1860 and 1920, most likely somewhere in the middle of that range. Can't see from the pics what timber it is, but these are usually either Cocuswood or Grenadilla. If it is very dark brown to black and has fine "wormtrack" surface grain, then it's more likely Grenadilla: redder tinge and smooth surface and it's Cocus (a Caribbean rosewood). Quite often these were finished with a black laquer on the outside, so it may be hard to tell without removing the laquer if it is one of those. The keys, ferrule bands, pillars etc. are German Silver, a cupro-nickel alloy which patinates to a dull yellowish-pewtery colour: polished up, it will look like gold until the patina starts to come back. These were cheaply mass produced in the late C19th and early C20th and are pretty common. Some play very nicely, others are unspeakably bad. Hope yours turns out a good one!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Lycante

Post by Lycante »

It sounds awesome, as a matter of fact. Haven't finished figuring it all out, but so far, I'm very pleased with it. Only bought it two days ago.

For some reason, though, the more people I show it to, the more confused I am about how old/what it is. :)

Someone (actually a flute expert) said this model was rarely made after the 1600's.

Someone else (also a flute expert) said something along the lines of what you said, jemtheflute.

Yet another person (not really an expert) said it's even newer than that.

Only thing I know for sure is, the shopkeeper was way more confused than I am, judging by what it cost me.
(I'm not really an expert, or a real flute player, as I've only played an end-blown and I'm "upgrading", but as I see it, it was basically free for what it's worth.)

Also, the metal parts look like silver when polished, nothing like gold. Which is a good thing, I hate gold.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Lycante wrote:Someone (actually a flute expert) said this model was rarely made after the 1600's.

Someone else (also a flute expert) said something along the lines of what you said, jemtheflute.

Yet another person (not really an expert) said it's even newer than that..
Well, the person who said pre 1600 was talking out of a nether orifice. Have a look at Rick Wilson's website, http://www.oldflutes.com plus do any reading you care to online or elsewhere about flute history and you'll soon appreciate that s/he didn't know what they were talking about. Pre-Baroque flutes were not made from tropical hardwoods and had no keys, and certainly not pillar mounted German Silver ones, leave alone a load of other disagnostic typological features! It is very unlikely to be later than 1st 1/4 C20th, though that is less demonstrably certain.

The amount of copper in, and therefore the yellowness of the German Silver does vary: sometimes it can look more like silver, but I don't think it ever looks convincingly like real sterling silver.

Glad it plays well for you and that you got it cheap. Post a clip sometime on the clips sticky.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Lycante

Post by Lycante »

Last edited by Lycante on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

From top:
- Hamilton 6-key
- Prowse Nicholson
- Aebi Rudall
- my Aebi Pratten on the right

And the whistles, also from top:
- old Bleazey D from Mopane (I guess)
- Harper D
- Humphrey D Trad
- again
- new Bleazey D from blackwood

...was a nice session :D
Last edited by Gabriel on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lycante

Post by Lycante »

Last edited by Lycante on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris The Wakes

Post by Chris The Wakes »

Just back in from a heavy weekend giging & boozing......so after a quick nap i have just set up my Ormiston to give it my daily practice and a good clean up! Had 2 gigs yesterday about 5 hours playing between the two and a gig on friday and saturday night! Notice the dry/colour change around the mouthpiece and tone holes....must admit i do sweat a bit under they stage lights! Almond oil & silver cleaning cloth coming up!

rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Re: Any info on this?

Post by rama »

Anzer wrote:Hi Guys,

wondering if any of you know anything about this type of flute. Been around the house for years, but no one seems to know where it originated! Ive recently been playing it so just thought id try to get some more info on it.

Thanks

i recall flutemaker brendan mcmahon of ennis (?) made some flutes like that years ago. not sure if flute in photo is his work. i think the idea is supposd to be an easy to play headjoint/embouchure.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

This was mooted on another thread...I think the consensus was Eugene Lambe. Cheers,

Rob
brotherwind

home vs. guest

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
have a guest these days alongside my own Mopane Doyle: Jon C.'s travelling Cocobolo R&R. The latter is the flute with the tuning slide.

Image Image Image Image

Enjoy!

Moritz