Touring flute in Europe

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lichatt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lichatt »

Just received the blackwood one from sylvester (good packaging),
i tried it this morning before work, some minutes, and i can play it
loud, ornaments are easy. It's a surprise for me, because i'm used
to play pratten style. This flute is "elegant" and i like it a lot.
The ring of the barel was loose, but it's a normal thing due to the
weather variations.
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Well, how are you enjoying Jon C's flute after playing it for a while - I'm just so curious to hear more especially since I am one of the lucky one's to be on his touring list but of course I have to wait a while yet but can't help being in a state of eager anticipation:) - so I would love to hear more of course:)

Vanessa
lichatt

Post by lichatt »

Well, i haven't enough english words, but i can try to write about this
blackwood beastie.

This flute is very well made, apart the tuning slide (don't know if it's a weather variation ...) and well balanced in the hands, perehaps a little heavie for a keyless, but in counterpart this is a solid flute with a visually pure line.

I like the sound, less volume and less honk than the seery (probably the player) but much clear, bright and resonant. The second octav is sweeter than the seery and easy. Otherwise, tuning is very good and i can play in tune all the way with a perfect Cnat.

This flute needs less air than the seery and a little more than my old wooden flute (it's a normal thing), so i can play it for a long time. I have to blow in a different way (more focus), but found the spot easy to find.
Some times i lose the hard D, but it's a question of time.

I think it's a fantastic flute for the price, and i don't like the idea to send it away, so i keep it for some more time ;-)

Vanessa, you're the next on the tour?

Patrick.
Victor Dols

Post by Victor Dols »

lichatt wrote:
I think the next one in the list it's me, but I'm not sure. Jon, how is the tour list going? who's the next?

Victor.
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Victor Dols wrote:
lichatt wrote:
I think the next one in the list it's me, but I'm not sure. Jon, how is the tour list going? who's the next?

Victor.
Thanks lichatt for the update :). As to whose next on the list I haven't got a clue either but I don't think I'm next... I'd say the flute will tour a bit more through mainland Europe before it returns to Ireland :) ... I think there are a few people before me... even so to me the anticipation is fun too :D even though I can hardly wait... in the meantime I keep glued to this thread :) while waiting for my turn.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

vanessa wrote:
Victor Dols wrote:
lichatt wrote:

Victor.
Thanks lichatt for the update :). As to whose next on the list I haven't got a clue either but I don't think I'm next... I'd say the flute will tour a bit more through mainland Europe before it returns to Ireland :) ... I think there are a few people before me... even so to me the anticipation is fun too :D even though I can hardly wait... in the meantime I keep glued to this thread :) while waiting for my turn.
Sorry for all the confusion... It needs to go back to Victor first, as he has been waiting a looooonnnnng time! Victor could you PM Patrick (Lichatt) with your address so he can send it to you.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

It'd be a good thing having the flute back to Spain. Next week-end, Victor is running for the first time (not last hopefully) a 'domestic' workshop for all instruments and bodhran :lol:

There will be some flute players and whistlers from Spain there, so they could try and know the flute.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Victor Dols

Post by Victor Dols »

Jon C. wrote: Sorry for all the confusion... It needs to go back to Victor first, as he has been waiting a looooonnnnng time! Victor could you PM Patrick (Lichatt) with your address so he can send it to you.
Don't worry about it Jon :wink:

Victor.
lichatt

Post by lichatt »

Et voilà, The blackwood flute will be back to spain tomorrow ....
adiós mi bonita :)
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jon how can I get on the Los Angeles tour of one of your flutes? :D
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

The Los Angeles tour is the easiest one to get on and the most sought after, because it generally entails a tour of his shop and any flutes he is currently working on. Plus, you get to be next to a massive generator and dodge the female monks. Quite the adventure...
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote:The Los Angeles tour is the easiest one to get on and the most sought after, because it generally entails a tour of his shop and any flutes he is currently working on. Plus, you get to be next to a massive generator and dodge the female monks. Quite the adventure...
I think that would be nuns.... :P
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I stand corrected...
Victor Dols

Post by Victor Dols »

The flute is now back in Spain. I will post a review of the flute but it seems to me a good one.

Víctor.
fluteress

Post by fluteress »

Is there a tour like this in North America & the States? What a great way to get to try out different flutes, & for makers to get their instruments in the hands of those who might not have gotten to try one! It'd be nice to have other things to compare the flute I play on to (a McGee Rudall Refined), although I've gotten to try some Olwells at least (one of which is owned by my former teacher). :)