Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Othannen,

Thanks for listening. You're right about too much air in the upper octave. I think that's why I asked for some feedback on the tuning. The tune is off of an old tape by a New England band called How to Change a Flat Tire.
I played it as best I cold remember as I learned it many years ago, and struggled to put the tune back together from memory. I'll work on tighten up my embrochure. Thanks again, Arbo.
mahanpots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mahanpots »

Here's a couple of hornpipes. The short version is just one hornpipe; long version -- two: McGivney's Fancy and The Flowing Tide.

Recorded after a morning of practicing my intonation.

McGivney's

McGivney's and Flowing

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Another version of the Torn Jacket. I precede it with O'Connell's trip to Parliment. I hear these played together at my local sessions.

Arbo

http://www.box.net/shared/oeqcpcvswk
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Here's a hornpipe I learned as Callahans:

http://www.box.net/shared/qckangpogk

I think we're short on hornpipes in this thread.

Eric
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Jayhawk wrote:Here's a hornpipe I learned as Callahans:

http://www.box.net/shared/qckangpogk

I think we're short on hornpipes in this thread.

Eric
That's Cronin's hornpipe. Here's Paddy Cronin playing it.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

NicoMoreno wrote: Here's Paddy Cronin playing it.
Oy!
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

How DOES he get his flute to sound so stringy?

Seriously, now, that is one beautiful track. A good trick would be to get that sort of easygoing yet energetic bounce on the flute. Off to try now...

Rob
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Peter Laban wrote:
NicoMoreno wrote: Here's Paddy Cronin playing it.
Oy!
Oy is right.

Thank you once again for this track, kind sir! (and to bloomie for hosting it...)

If anyone wants me to edit and remove my link, let me know!

Oh, and Rob... Oh how I know what you mean! I've been listening off and on (like, I will hit repeat 20 times in a row, then do that again the next day, etc) to Master Cronin playing the Doon (#2) reel and Hickey's, and oh how I want his playing reflected in my fluting!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Nico & Peter - thanks for identifying the hornpipe! I learned it from Turlach, and on my lesson cassette he called it Callahans...but I couldn't find anything on the session.org or other sites that had a Callahans matching what I was playing.

Cronins it is then! I truly appreciate the correct ID.

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I like the original Cronin recording! I learnt this one long ago from Liam O'Flynn's rendition of it with Planxty - paired with The Fisherman's Lilt - something of a stock session set......... but great for all that.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Seriously, now, that is one beautiful track. A good trick would be to get that sort of easygoing yet energetic bounce on the flute. Off to try now...
You probably want to listen to the Copley 78 rpms of Cronin and Frank Neylon on the flute, they're pretty well matched.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Thanks for the tip, and here's to 1000 responses on this thread. Bumpers, lads!

Rob
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Peter Laban wrote:
You probably want to listen to the Copley 78 rpms of Cronin and Frank Neylon on the flute, they're pretty well matched.
Kevin Rietman strikes again
William Bajzek
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Jayhawk - somewhat belatedly I 've just gone back and listened to your rendition of Cronin's Hornpipe. I hope you won't mind me making this point, but I think it is one of those instances of something that has been discussed in other threads recently - the difference between learning variant, equally valid versions (or making your own setting) of a tune and just getting bits "wrong". It really stood out to me as soon as I started listening.

In the opening phrase of the tune, and every time that recurs, you play:

B>A | G>A B>c d>B d>e | etc.

Cronin, O'Flynn and most folk play:

B>A | G>A B>d d>B d>e | etc., separating the repeated Ds with a cut, tap, tongue, bow-stroke or whatever, or even tying them and pushing the off-beat rhythm.

Have a listen to the original Cronin clip, or to Planxty, for the baseline version. That C natural really doesn't belong!

I realise your scale with C is doubtless what you learned from your source, but I strongly advise revising it - it clashes with the baseline version should you play it in company, and melodically it is a distortion of the original that grates on the ear of anyone familiar with the tune.

I agree about the lack of hornpipes here.... but must confess that, like a great many of us, I haven't actually got much of a repertory of hornpipes. We should all learn and play more of them!

*********************************************************************************
Just for fun, here are a couple "I did (wrote) earlier" (pace Blue Peter!)

The First Hour of Sunday (On whistle.)

The First Great Ballyvourney Flute Meeting (On flute.)

It's also here on whistle with more improvised variation 2nd time through, to which hornpipes particularly tend to lend themselves, IMO, - and mistakes as a result!

(Apt timing for the latter since the second one is this weekend, ending today.)
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

jemtheflute wrote: I agree about the lack of hornpipes here.... but must confess that, like a great many of us, I haven't actually got much of a repertory of hornpipes. We should all learn and play more of them!
Me too! Any suggestions for a great hornpipe set (other than the one mentioned)?
Thanks, Arbo.