Poll: How do you describe your embouchure?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

I would describe my embouchure as…

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:30 pm

A) a general turning up of corners of the lips
11%
B) flattening/ tightening area under the nose
No votes
C) a general tightening of the lips all around
11%
D) I concentrate on a small opening for air
44%
E) a general frowning effect on the mouth
11%
F) not listed here
11%
G) need ideas, still learning
11%

Total votes: 9

eedbjp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Poll: How do you describe your embouchure?

Post by eedbjp »

I would describe the embouchure that I have used as trying to turn the corners of the mouth up and tighten them. But I see a lot of different information now on YouTube. For example, I recently stopped worrying about the corners of the mouth, but instead focused on flattening the area under the nose in hardening the lip there, with varying results.Would like to get a sense of how people approach their embouchure. Created the poll here. Did my best to describe some various methods, but I’m certain there are more.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: Poll: How do you describe your embouchure?

Post by oleorezinator »

A gentleman never tells....
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
est
Tell us something.: Kind of a beginner with a keyless flute and an antique wooden flute with keys. Used to play accordion back some time ago, but trying to focus on the flute, until I can get some degree of command over it.

Re: Poll: How do you describe your embouchure?

Post by est »

I've tried a few different things from weird smile to just pulling the corners of my mouth apart. My issues with the smile was that I was probably overdoing it and my high notes suffered greatly, though, the low notes did get the right overtones.

What I'm finding is most helpful is warming up with some Bach. Not so much because that is seriously awesome music but because he forces me to play in the 3rd register. This register may not be useful for traditional Irish stuff (very hard to do our normal ornaments up there due to the wonky fingerings), but what I'm finding is that these 3rd register notes simply won't play with a bad embouchure. So, working up in that range forces you to find a good embouchure without forcing it using guidance which will vary from one player to the next.

My experience is such that, once I am able to work through the phrases that require that 3rd register E will give me an hour's worth of much more rewarding playing regardless of the type of music. It also helps me to acquire a more "classical" flute sound up high when I want but I can still dig into the low notes for the overtones we like for that rich growl. I don't actually "know" what shape my embouchure is when this is worked out, but it's becoming more natural for me to assume now that this has been a daily activity for several days now.

Another suggestion I've heard is that you absolutely must avoid too much tension in the lips. They should be flexible enough to change as you play. What sounds good down low may not work for the tone you want in the 2rd register, but if your embouchure is too rigid, you won't be able to change fluidly. I'm still working on the fluid componenent...