meaning of red, yellow, green colours in RTTA tuner app

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
cac
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

meaning of red, yellow, green colours in RTTA tuner app

Post by cac »

The RTTA Tuner App for the iPhone (and I assume the app for the Android also) shows readings in three colours. I can see that red is the most 'out of tune', yellow next, and green the most in tune, but I can't find out what the parameters are for these displays. Nor can I find a user guide or manual for the app. In the settings, the default for yellow is +/1 7 cents and for red +/- 15 cents, but there is no default for green, and the meanings of the numbers aren't clear. For example, one can have a green colour centred on -07 cents. Shouldn't such a reading be yellow? Or does the number for yellow mean 'greater than 7 cents deviation'. Thanks, Chet
Conical bore

Re: meaning of red, yellow, green colours in RTTA tuner app

Post by Conical bore »

If we're talking about the same app I have - RTTATuner on the iPhone -- my app is set to Yellow Level 7 and Red Level 15, which must be the default because I haven't changed it. Green would be anything under the Yellow setting. I have read that somewhere around 5-6 cents is where most people can start to detect a change in pitch, so setting the Green color at anything 6 cents or less makes sense, although of course you could adjust it tighter if you want. I assume the threshold is based on the dot representing the average of the recorded pitch?

I hope this helps. It's a great app, everyone should try it to see how close your intonation is to 12TET when you're actually playing a full tune, and how "tight" or variable some of your notes are.
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

I didn't particularly want a smartphone but have just acquired one to use as a hotspot. It's Android, and I can't see the RTTA tuner app on the Google Play Store, so maybe it's iPhone only. (I've installed Chroma and Instrument Tuner for now, but they're nowhere near as good as the Japanese s8tuner for PC.)
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

The Android app I used before I was compelled (by family lock-in) to switch to an iPhone was called TTTuner. It has both a trial and full version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cker&hl=en
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

Conical bore wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:22 pm The Android app I used before I was compelled (by family lock-in) to switch to an iPhone was called TTTuner. It has both a trial and full version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cker&hl=en
Thanks - that one's much closer to what I wanted. I'll have to review it there to help other people find it.